An Evening with the Pro Elite

The Pyramyd Air Cup is fast approaching so I've begun practicing for the Piston Gunslynger event again. Last year, I decided to make the move from my beloved Russ Best tuned Beeman R10 in .20 to a .22 Air Arms Pro Elite. When I acquired the PE, I'm pretty sure it had the original piston seal in it since it was hard as a rock...I resealed it and re-lubed it with Tony Leach's signature lube and red and tacky on the spring. These are the results. Shoot-N-C targets are 5 @ 50 yards and the standard paper target is 10 @ 50 yards. Air Arms 16gr pellets.

71046682475--5EF961D3-621F-473A-98BE-680749FCB60F.jpg

71046681441--89B413B9-917B-4579-8EA8-970BA854629F.jpg

71046683522--3D4A8B19-55CB-4FCC-B4E1-14F785F77A76.jpg

Sub 1/2" groups at 50 makes me want to take this thing out to 100!

I left the piston seal *slightly* oversized. It would not fall under its own weight. Tamping the receiver on the group makes the piston fall about 1-1.5". Figured that will tame this beast a little bit and be a little easier on the scope.

Here's a 13 shot string. ES is slightly higher that I'd like but we are under 2% which is always a good thing. Producing about 19 FPE with these 16 grainers. 18 gr pellets push it up to 20. With the oversized seal that seems right about right and makes me confident that I don't have one with the dreaded "tapered tube" (if that was even a thing? Seems like there was some chatter on the old Yellow that that might have all been rumor and speculation). I also don't know the age or mileage on this spring. No kinks and no breakage so we are rolling with it.

IMG-5874.PNG

I threw a CS500 lefty stock on here. Seems like a nice piece of wood and I really like the way it feels. Hawke Airmax Compact 6-24 is brilliant on a spring gun.
IMG-5873.jpg

IMG-5872.jpg

Just thought I'd type up this quick thread since I know how much you guys appreciate the rarer vintage stuff :) I almost feel bad shooting it as much as I do...

I have had 4 PE's over the years, currently own two. One in .22 with a beech stock that I carved and installed my own pistol grip cap with white line spacer also added a white spacer to the recoil pad.
182 Air Arms Pro Elite .22.JPG

the other a very rare .177 with walnut stock. I estimate only about 20 or so of this combination were produced.
181 AA Pro Elite .177 Walnut.JPG

The tapered tube was very real. I had a PE and tried to get someone to tune it. The spring gun tuners were all avoiding PEs back then because they’d get blamed if the tube wasn’t good. It was only after promising I would not be disappointed to pay to ship my gun to/from the tuner and pay to have them tear it down and reassemble if they decided it didn’t have a good tube, that Jan Kraner ended up tuning it. And it came out great.

Life caused me to sell that gun years ago but I really wish I still had it.

I don’t know if mine could do 1/2” at fifty, but it was accurate.

Much love for the PE's.
Great choice on the lefty stock!

Also, great looking guns Mike. You always find the hen's teeth. Any Igea how many PE's were .177? I don't think it was common, certainly much less common in walnut!
Hey Lewis,
from what I found about 530 were .177 and less than 60 walnut stocks were ever made, so a .177 in a walnut stock 🤩🥳🦄

I have had 4 PE's over the years, currently own two. One in .22 with a beech stock that I carved and installed my own pistol grip cap with white line spacer also added a white spacer to the recoil pad.
View attachment 371146

the other a very rare .177 with walnut stock. I estimate only about 20 or so of this combination were produced.
View attachment 371147
Have you modified the internals at all, or do you find they shoot smoothly as is?