RAW Rapid An easier way to tune a RAW HM1000x rifle

After all the ideas of how to easily tune a RAW HM1000x, this is the current setup which turns out to be fairly simple. You can either set the OEM regulator or as in my case a HUMA adjustable regulator to as high a BAR setting as you wish, in my case 195 BAR.

I will control the delivered air pressure to the rifle via an external dual air pressure regulator. To adjust the hammer spring allowing large or small adjustments I will remove the cheek pad which only requires loosening one bolt. To reposition the cheek pad I simply place a caliper between the cheek pad and stock at the distance it was at prior to removal.

Tethering the RAW HM1000x this way allows adjusting air pressure without the need to remove an air bottle to make adjustments to the HUMA adjustable regulator, or having to remove the OEM regulator to make the adjustment.

I’ve noted the pressure reading differential between the external dual air regulator and the newly installed Sekhmet digital pressure gauge which is 1.5 BAR, not much.

Initial tuning will be with a wide range of projectiles, but first I’ll test .30 caliber slugs to see if they shoot well out of my rifle at 100 yards and at what pressure and hammer spring settings. If I can find a setup, next is to note the provided air pressure and hammer spring setting and replace the tethering adapters with either regulator adjusting them to match the indicated air pressure on the Sekhmet gauge and comparing the muzzle velocity of the projectile to when the rifle was tethered. If close I can fine tune the hammer spring setting or if needed to make minor regulator adjustments.

Tethering allows me to make slightly coarser pressure adjustments quickly testing a wide range of projectiles and pellets. For anyone interested in the adapter parts, here they are:

You need the following HUMA adapters + Extra RAW O-rings

● 1/8" BSP male to 1/4" BSP male adaptor - https://huma-air.com/1-8-bsp-male-to-1-4-bsp-male-adaptor/
● Foster Male to G1/8" BSP Female Adaptor - https://huma-air.com/foster-male-to-g1-8-bsp-female-adaptor/
● Rubber Steel Washer G1/8 (3 Pack Bonded Seals) - https://huma-air.com/rubber-steel-washer-g1-8-bonded-seal/
● Fat O-rings from RAW, part number #R-AC-OR-00006 Bottle "O" rings (pack of 5)

Make sure you insert the bonded seal between male and female adapters as shown as well as the fat O-ring on the male to male adapter that screws into the action block.

RAW HM1000x with RRS SOAR Anvil-30 Ball Head.jpg

RAW HM1000x HUMA Adapters to tether.jpg

RAW HM1000x HUMA Adapters to tether_Arrow.jpg

RAW HM1000x HUMA Adapters to tether_2.jpg

RAW Receipt for seal kit and o-rings.jpg

Air regulator for RAW HM1000x.jpg

RAW HM1000x HUMA adapters and tuning (1).jpg

RAW HM1000x HUMA adapters and tuning (3).jpg

RAW HM1000x HUMA adapters and tuning (2).jpg

Looks like a pretty speedy way to test various Pellets/Slugs by varying regulator pressure and Hammer Spring Adjuster.

I've opted for the traditional methodology of adjusting the regulator/HSA manually :whistle:.

I have shot mostly pellets at this point as they outperform slugs in my RAW's at 50 yards; at 100 yards their about equal.
However, as you have found, slugs require a higher set-point making it time consuming to go back and forth.

I have cut out the area behind the HSA to give me a wider range of adjust-ability and have made a mini-Allen wrench so removing the cheek piece is unnecessary.

My RAW's barrels are .177, .20, .22 and .25. The .22 and .25 so far are best at 100 yards, while the .20 caliber is best at 50 yards.

PS: I would like to replace my air pressure gauge with digital one that you show ...... the OEM gauges read 50 bar higho_O.

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty speedy way to test various Pellets/Slugs by varying regulator pressure and Hammer Spring Adjuster.

I've opted for the traditional methodology of adjusting the regulator/HSA manually :whistle:.

I have used shot mostly pellets at this point as they outperform slugs in my RAW's at 50 yards; at 100 yards their about equal.
However, as you have found, slugs require a higher set-point making it time consuming to go back and forth.

I have cut out the area behind the HSA to give me a wider range of adjust-ability and have made a mini-Allen wrench so removing the cheek piece is unnecessary.

My RAW's barrels are .177, .20, .22 and .25. The .22 and .25 so far are best at 100 yards, while the .20 caliber is best at 50 yards.

PS: I would like to replace my air pressure gauge with digital one that you show ...... the OEM gauges read 50 bar higho_O.
Are your RAW guns made by Martin or made after the arrangement with AirForce?

I have used shot mostly pellets at this point as they outperform slugs in my RAW's at 50 yards; at 100 yards their about equal.

How much more adjustment did you get and how much material did your remove behind the HSA. Good idea on making a custom mini-Allen wrench. I like having the ability to use a t-handle when I need to make large adjustments back or to some other setting, but I did think of making something custom too.

The RAW OEM gauge in pure garbage, why they use them is beyond me. Mine showed 50+ bar out of the gun.

RAW OEM gauge, junk.jpg

How much more adjustment did you get and how much material did your remove behind the HSA. Good idea on making a custom mini-Allen wrench. I like having the ability to use a t-handle when I need to make large adjustments back or to some other setting, but I did think of making something custom too.

The RAW OEM gauge in pure garbage, why they use them is beyond me. Mine showed 50+ bar out of the gun.

View attachment 454716
You are writing against the RAW gauges. I suggest you to be careful while sharing any negative experience with RAW.

I have gone through the consequences a few days ago.

So please take my words as a brother's advice.

No pun intended.

Reactions: qball
Holy moderator batman!!!

My question is after you found your perfect reg pressure, how do you easily replicate that to your factory RAW regulator. I had a helluva time tuning a raw with no reg gauge, just curious if there is an easier way.
I understand that OP will use a reg tester and will set the HUMA reg setting as per his online reg setting.

Most of the work would be done. Huma allows to adjust the regulator by just removing the bottle. So he will fine tune with Huma reg.

Holy moderator batman!!!

My question is after you found your perfect reg pressure, how do you easily replicate that to your factory RAW regulator. I had a helluva time tuning a raw with no reg gauge, just curious if there is an easier way.

Unfortunately I have not found a commercial external regulator tester for the RAW HM1000x regulator or the adjustable HUMA regulator for the HM1000x. I've written to HUMA Air and Ken at Southern Precision AIR Weapons for a possible source.

HINT - there is no easy way to adjust the OEM regulator without an external air regulator tester. If a commercial one becomes available I may consider buying one, but with the HUMA allowing adjustments without removing the regulator or the stock an external air regulator tester isn't really needed. I did see someone make one, however, I don't think it would be worth the expense to have one made.

However, it will not be difficult to set the HUMA adjustable regulator. Once a known pressure is determined, a full air bottle is screwed onto the rifle and the inline Sekhmet gauge is checked and adjustments can be made to the HUMA adjustable regulator by unscrewing the air bottle from the regulator and depressurizing the gun making adjustments as necessary. Once you do this a few times you'll get the hang of how much to turn the adjustment screw on the HUMA adjustable regulator to quickly set the pressure.

Tuning will continue shooting the projectile and comparing velocities and adjusting the hammer spring tension as necessary.

If I had to adjust the OEM regulator, I would put the action in a vise with protective blocks with the gun tethered to the external air supply which has a quick release valve. I would then insert my HUMA digital air gauge directly into the action or use the inline Sekhmet digital gauge and adjust the OEM regulator as necessary. Likely requiring several attempts, however, releasing the external air hose is easy and removing the regulator while the action is in a vise is not difficult. However, you can see why I purchased the adjustable HUMA regulator.

Huma RAW tuning and gauges (1).jpg

Unfortunately I have not found a commercial external regulator tester for the RAW HM1000x regulator or the adjustable HUMA regulator for the HM1000x. I've written to HUMA Air and Ken at Southern Precision AIR Weapons for a possible source.

HINT - there is no easy way to adjust the OEM regulator without an external air regulator tester. If a commercial one becomes available I may consider buying one, but with the HUMA allowing adjustments without removing the regulator or the stock an external air regulator tester isn't really needed. I did see someone make one, however, I don't think it would be worth the expense to have one made.

However, it will not be difficult to set the HUMA adjustable regulator. Once a known pressure is determined, a full air bottle is screwed onto the rifle and the inline Sekhmet gauge is checked and adjustments can be made to the HUMA adjustable regulator by unscrewing the air bottle from the regulator and depressurizing the gun making adjustments as necessary. Once you do this a few times you'll get the hang of how much to turn the adjustment screw on the HUMA adjustable regulator to quickly set the pressure.

Tuning will continue shooting the projectile and comparing velocities and adjusting the hammer spring tension as necessary.

If I had to adjust the OEM regulator, I would put the action in a vise with protective blocks with the gun tethered to the external air supply which has a quick release valve. I would then insert my HUMA digital air gauge directly into the action or use the inline Sekhmet digital gauge and adjust the OEM regulator as necessary. Likely requiring several attempts, however, releasing the external air hose is easy and removing the regulator while the action is in a vise is not difficult. However, you can see why I purchased the adjustable HUMA regulator.

View attachment 454744

Yeah, just as I suspended that without the tester it’s pretty hard and time consuming. Just wanted to make sure I’m not missing anything. Thankfully I still have Mr Motörhead just down the road from me so if I ever get a raw for whatever reason I’ll send it his way to do the full works/transplant. The little tuning experience I had with RAW on my own left me not wanting to deal with RAWs again.

Reactions: mubhaur
You are writing against the RAW gauges. I suggest you to be careful while sharing any negative experience with RAW.

I have gone through the consequences a few days ago.

So please take my words as a brother's advice.

No pun intended.
Hey Mubhaur,
I've complained about the RAW gauges ad nauseam ............. nobody's said anything to me?
I think it's been accepted as a universal fact -> they're inaccurate (high +50 bar) .

- Also, you can just assume their 50 bar high and forget about it.

Last edited:
Holy moderator batman!!!

Buy a gauge on Amazon for $20/$25 and screw it into the spot where the bottom blanking plug goes.
This will provide reg set-point pressure.

To increase reg pressure, tighten nut end the reg's end.
To lower reg pressure, loosen the nut.

1/4 turn either way is a good starting point.

Measure reg length before doing anything as you can go back to original setting if desired.

Very easy, but time consuming ............... ;)

Won't the new regulators fit into the old Rapid regulator testers? These are not hard to find in the UK and have shipped over here.

I do like that fitting though to run tethered....may have to steal that idea!
No, the HM1000x regulators will not fit the Best Fittings (UK) testers as they are larger.

Reactions: mubhaur
I learned all about tuning/changing reg pressures on my first RAW ......... the first year of ownership was a big learning experience.

Changing reg pressure on my other two guns was pretty easy and simple because I already knew pressure ranges which worked for various calibers. My first RAW was likely taken apart 30 times for various reasons, the other two RAW's maybe 2 or 3 times each - just to tune and find final set-up.

Reactions: mubhaur and qball
Cool, thanks! Didn’t know you can do that, why wouldn’t RAW just put a gauge there!?!?!?
Just remember many parts are not US pipe thread sizes but BSP.

Here are some basics on the Theoben Rapid, the father of the RAW:

Last edited:
Reactions: woogie_man
I wonder if that was a deletion phase. Nice to know you got good ones. 👍
I don't know, but there haven't been too many bad things said about the RAW except poor gauges and expensive o-rings and the older AF Moderators were (Ugly) terrible. Otherwise, the guns are made so simple and machined so well ........... there's not a whole lot that can go wrong.

However, if you get a bad barrel ............. that's a very Basic problem.
RAW/AirForce should be able to replace that ..... especially if it's been thoroughly checked.

PS: I'd followed the RAW airgun lineup for years before I bought one -> Motorhead highly recommended them back when he first got one.
I didn't pull the trigger until the HM1000x came out with the AF (lighter) stock version.

I think the quality of all three of my guns is excellent ;), but I've never handled an older one made by Martin.