Tuning Amp Reg Piston

Esab

Nov 18, 2022
Italy
Hi guys, I own a wildcat mk30 sniper in .25. I’m having 30 sec or more reg recovery. ( reg 150/190). Examining the piston more closely I noticed the derlin sticking out a bit too much from the two holes. It looks like there’s no airflow.
Is it normal?

54135700-EB95-4096-8882-2B5C51238039.jpeg

Slow recovery can be a symptom of
  • Wear of the seal at the end of the piston, and/or...
  • Scratch or machining marks on the orifice (seat), and/or...
  • Debris trapped in the orifice
  • Setpoint too close to the top end of the adjustment range (Belleville spring washers nearly flattened such that the seat can barely open)
That’s why I polished all the regs with 3M polish paper, changed all the orings. I will leave the gun as it is for a couple of days, want to keep on eye if it creeps, than I will break in the regs. I will let you know.

Buy a huma reg
If you go back to the amp reg and replace the plastic piston with the new brass one you may find the amp out performs the huma. I tried the Huma in my impact and although I’m a big Huma Reg fan, not so much on the impacts. The recovery rate was slow- like 15 seconds, on a good day.

And that’s after polishing everything in reg parts, too

Overnight the reg would creep past my set point, and although I was able to work around the creep and the slow plenum recharge times, the process of having to loosen the rear gage to drain the plenum was the deal breaker for me. I went back to the AMP with that same brass piston shown by the OP and my recovery time is very fast, and no creep whatsoever on both my MK2’s

Slow recovery can be a symptom of
  • Wear of the seal at the end of the piston, and/or...
  • Scratch or machining marks on the orifice (seat), and/or...
  • Debris trapped in the orifice
  • Setpoint too close to the top end of the adjustment range (Belleville spring washers nearly flattened such that the seat can barely open)
Correct me if I’m wrong, but that thru hole design I believe is meant to remove that Delrin insert if need be-

View attachment 321871
Like inserting a fine and pointy sharp needle in there
So i did it, I’ve used a hot needle to make it trought as Corny suggested.

I was so frustrated because in the last days I’ve changed washers stacks dozen of times because when I got the rifle two weeks ago It came with 100 bar pressure, shooting 50 grains .in 30 cal too slow for a 700 mm barrel (830 fps). Tried to raise the pressure but never been able to set the reg more than 120 bar., so I decided to take the regs apart, found 2 stacks with 3 0,60 mm washers, 4 washers 0,50 mm, 4 washers 0,40 mm which is strange coz they look more for low pressure regs. Meanwhile switching the 4 0,40 mm washers with 4 0,50 mm I was able to raise the regs much higher (220 bar) but I found very difficult finding a precise set point: a very light touch with the Allen key on the reg screw and the pressure raised way to quick, also the recovery rate was way to slow.
Long story short, at the end this afternoon I found this stack being the most effective with what appear to be less than 5 sec recovery rate.

Reg body )()()()()() Piston
3 0,60 mm/4 0,50, 2 0,40, 2 0,50

It’s insane in my mind how a so small change in the washers stack and Thickness made such a big jump in regs balance.

Need more time for the Regs breaking in but the result is promising.

That's the way they stack impact amps as the pattern is. I'm not sure about what's where in the stack though
The stack is exactly the same, only changed the thickness of the stock washers: the last 2 pairs toward the piston where 0,40 mm, I left one pair 0,40 mm and last pair I used 0,50 mm thickness washers.

Reactions: Airgunmann
Hi All.
3-4 years ago I installed a Huma gen 3 reg in my FX Crown.
I resealed, polished and tried everything to get rid of 7-8 bars of pressure creep when shooting from 250 bar down to 180 bar.
I ordered the Huma regulator with the lowest pressure range settings.

When i installed the Huma regulator, I experienced pressure creep in the higher end and refilling the plenum was like 30 - 40 seconds.
Then Huma send me a set of medium pressure belleville springs and by installing them it became almost instantly refilling.
Also the pellet speed increased like 60 fps with the same settings.
Now also no creap - after 3 years. very pleased with the Huma and their guidance.
All my belleville springs is equal thickness. not a mixture.

My Crown refills the plenum so fast you cannot hear it fills between the shots.

So 0.1 mm thicker belleville springs will shorten the plenum filling time I can confirm that too
20190905_100705.jpg
The image is the huma Gen. 3 (Brass piston) and the original gen. 3 Reg. (Closest with the black plastic piston)
I am sorry I haven't got a picture of the original Huma belleville spring stack.

I would compare the two stacks and use the amount of springs that gets closest to the total length of the original stacking.

Crown and Impact regulators are the same type.
best regards
Claus