Ammo question

I got a can of H&N 18 to try out. They grouped well in a Flashpup, Beeman Chief, Maximus, and an S510 FAC. POI was not the same as the JSB, but they shot well enough I got more. Another surprise was the 17.6 Norma, all my PCP and 3 springers liked them. They aren’t cheap, but they were available. Can’t say the same for the Norma 15.9, nothing so far has liked them.

As far as I know, JSB is making the 18 every day. Between unprecedented demand, lingering supply chain issues, and the hoarders among us, they just don't make it to the shelves as in-stock inventory. Remember when disinfectant wipes and hand cleaner disappeared from the grocery stores? Now the stuff is stacked to the ceiling and they can't give it away! As Bobby Dylan wrote, "the times they are a-changing".

Ed

Here's a simple truth: You need pellets but your favorite pellets aren't currently available? Buy and try something else. Find a few different kinds in the same weight range, oh say 17ish to 22gr and put 'em to the test. When you find one or two or even three that shoot pretty close and you will, buy a couple tins of each if you can. Yeah, you'll likely have to tweak your scope a little but you'll have pellets to shoot.

Pellet availability has been hit or miss for months now and most instead of boo hoo'ing went out and bought other brands and weights to try so they'd have backups to shoot when what they wanted wasn't on a shelf.

Reactions: Harv24
I would be interested in JSB putting out a statement on production numbers.

I wonder are they putting out as many diablo pellets, and they are just selling out, or are the stocks sitting somewhere, or are JSB putting out less pellets due to their work force spending time making/sorting their " Knock out" pellets. 

One would hope JSB would speak up to put their customers at ease.

Here's a simple truth: You need pellets but your favorite pellets aren't currently available? Buy and try something else. Find a few different kinds in the same weight range, oh say 17ish to 22gr and put 'em to the test. When you find one or two or even three that shoot pretty close and you will, buy a couple tins of each if you can. Yeah, you'll likely have to tweak your scope a little but you'll have pellets to shoot.

Pellet availability has been hit or miss for months now and most instead of boo hoo'ing went out and bought other brands and weights to try so they'd have backups to shoot when what they wanted wasn't on a shelf.

AMEN!!

"the hoarders among us"

Apparently refers to those who planned ahead and aren't short of pellets.

No, I'm not talking about the folks who want a reasonable reserve for tight times, I understand fully. During one of the ammo shortages in the 90's, I was active in RF benchrest. Lapua made one of most popular precision rimfire cartridges at the time. One guy bought the distributor's entire inventory. Granted, that's extreme, but that is the mentality to which I am referring. Having a couple of years supply on hand is one thing, but having 20 years' worth doesn't show much respect for the sport. Just my opinion, don't mean to offend.

Ed

"the hoarders among us"

No, I'm not talking about the folks who want a reasonable reserve for tight times, I understand fully. During one of the ammo shortages in the 90's, I was active in RF benchrest. Lapua made one of most popular precision rimfire cartridges at the time. One guy bought the distributor's entire inventory. Granted, that's extreme, but that is the mentality to which I am referring. Having a couple of years supply on hand is one thing, but having 20 years' worth doesn't show much respect for the sport. Just my opinion, don't mean to offend.

Ed

The sad part is those in storage for 20 yrs will end up tossed because something better came out or they will get tossed from corrosion!! Seen it happen on many ocassions !!

"the hoarders among us"

Ed

The sad part is those in storage for 20 yrs will end up tossed because something better came out or they will get tossed from corrosion!! Seen it happen on many ocassions !!

Possibly, but I bet there will be relatively few who still have the current stock left after 20 years.

"the hoarders among us"

Ed

My point exactly. A few people hog supplies in a panic buying mode, and a lot of it ends up in the trash, or, in an estate in which no one knows what to do with it. Buy what you need, provide a reasonable cushion if possible, but let's not be crazy about it.

If there is such a thing as a shortage it's definitely not your fellow shooters fault. That's just silly and negative, know that many, many other shooters love shooting JSBs. I know I do, they are my preferred pellet, because they have proven to be consistently accurate in my Bantam. That there might be some pellet hoarders out there? OK, but they also are not responsible for the supposed pellet shortage. Being able to complain about a pellet shortage is a luxury...