American Field Target Southwest Challenge

AFT-SWChallenge-Logo.1599855800.png

Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 11:00 to 17:00

Phoenix Rod and Gun

915 West Olney Drive

Phoenix, AZ 85041

Due to efforts by some local shooters, the Phoenix Rod and Gun private club, and AOA, we are pleased to be sponsors for this limited competition! This is an American Field Target competition match and is an Airgun-only competition. All air rifles must have a minimum of 28 ft-lbs at the muzzle, with a maximum of 30 cal up to 100 ft-lbs.

EBR 2019 AFT - 61 of 197.1599856910.jpg

Check-in starts at 9:30am at the Smallbore Office and Match starts at 11:00am.

After check-in, shooters will be allowed to sight in their airguns at 25 yards.

Early Registration fee is $15.00 for PRGC members and $20.00 for non-members. Match fee for all walk-ups (space permitting) is $25.00.

There will be awards given for both pellet and slug classes.

PELLETS:
1. $300.00
2. $150.00
3. $75.00
SLUGS:
1. $150.00
2. $75.00
3. $25.00

Lunch for registered shooters will be provided by So Cal Taco Co. For those that want something different to eat, there are many food options within 5-10 miles of the range. There will also be a free event T-shirt provided to all registered shooters.

EBR 2019 AFT - 117 of 197.1599856788.jpg

Shooters will shoot from a seated (bucket provided) position with a bi-pod (provided). Shooter will be required to hit kill zones from 1" up to 4" to get animal to fall. The shooter will have 4 minutes to setup and complete 4 shots (2 per animal) per lane. There will be 10 lanes with 2 animals in each lane. This will be a 40 shot match. Any ties will be settled by shoot off (time permitting) or longest streak.

You can register for this event on Practiscore.comHERE. You must have or create a free account to register.

Questions for the match can be directed to the match director by EMAIL.

Take care, and we hope to see some of you at the match!

Airguns of Arizona

I'm really looking forward to this! 

The match director is a good friend and has put an absolutely monumental effort into making this come to fruition. For the last 3 months most of his time has been devoted to turning this into a reality.

Procurement of a venue was just the beginning. After finding a place for the event to take place, he literally had to scratch the match into the raw desert. These big field targets require a much more stable mounting situation than the smaller sub20fpe matches targets. So, various means of placement were tested. Some of those involved trying to drill attachment rods into the nearly solid rock of the hillside where this is happening. A stable mounting situation was eventually arrived at, through much manual labor. All of the targets were also stripped and repainted as well as function tested and tuned by him, both for reliable functioning but also with one of the foot pounds-required-for knock-down testers he bought. The main path also had to be created through the use of a Bobcat and then shoveling dirt and hand raking in the holes left by the removed rocks. Semi-permanent lane and path markers also were placed by the match director. In short, lots of hard work. 

All of the match director's efforts, coupled with AOA's sponsorship through supplying the targets, prize money and a catered lunch are sure to make this a great event! Don't miss it!!!

{Shooters will shoot from a seated (bucket provided) position with a bi-pod (provided)}

Does this mean we must use the provided bucket and bi-pod or they are provided if we don’t bring them? I only ask because for shorter shooters the standard Home Depot bucket is too tall to get into a good position. Thanks!

Mike

{Shooters will shoot from a seated (bucket provided) position with a bi-pod (provided)}

Does this mean we must use the provided bucket and bi-pod or they are provided if we don’t bring them? I only ask because for shorter shooters the standard Home Depot bucket is too tall to get into a good position. Thanks!

Mike

I spoke with Ben for a few minutes before work and your question came up. He said they're working on an official set of rules, but that they are going to be very similar to the rules for the American Field Target at EBR, with a few exceptions. 

So, rules are coming.....and any pressing questions that might help in practicing between now and then, email him through the link in the original post on this thread. 

I was told a few rules when I contacted him.

EVERYONE will use sticks provided at each lane.

Shooters can use any seat without back support, buckets, and 11" (very low) stools provided at every lane.

Timers will be at each lane. You will have 4 minutes from the time you set down PERIOD. This includes any time needed to adjust the bipod.

Random draw to match up shooters that shoot together.

We are a week away from the match. To avoid any confusion, we wanted to pass along some general rules from the Range Officer running the match:

Check-In:

Opens at 9:00 am.

All shooters need to check-in and register before 10:30 No Exceptions.

Safety glasses must be worn on EVERY range or course.

Absolutely no smoking once you leave parking lot area.

Sight-In Range:

25 yards will be open from 8:30 and will be shut down at 10:30 for shooters meeting.

A chrony will also be available to anyone needing to check velocity.

On the Course:

Everyone must use the provided shooting sticks.

Buckets and stools will be provided at each station.You may use your own seat, but absolutely no back support is allowed on the seating device.

Timers are provided on each station. Scorers will start the 4 minute timer as soon as the shooter sits down or makes adjustments to the rifle, sticks or scope.

Timers, buckets and sticks are to stay at each station.

No sticks are allowed in forced standing position.

A Range Official will be on the course for any issues.

AOA

Tomorrow is the big day, I hope this event is a huge success and leads to many more. Quarterly or maybe even monthly matches. There is a possibility of other regions or ranges building their own course then regional matches make sense. I Wonder which will shoot the higher score Slugs or Pellets???

The main organizer is pretty devoted to seeing this become a regular event. He's already got the range reserved for another match on the 4th Sat in Oct. 

And pow, no more ! Let’s see some video, pictures ,results don’t leave us hanging ?

Without letting the cat outa the bag too much....... You'll be quite pleased (in the very near future hopefully). I posted the results, and they can be found in that link Centercut provided, but more should be coming shortly.