American Air Arms rifles not serviceable by owners ?

Sheesh. I tried removing that screw first and it wouldn't budge. Probably because I didn't take off the pic rail. Thanks guys. That makes things a lot easier. And just in time. I'm heading to the range in the morning and I would like to give this gun another test at 100 shooting just over 860.

Crusher

How heavy/what are you using for ammo at 860fps?

I think that you should say "thank you" to the idiots who spilled hot coffee and them sue the restaurant and so on. Unfortunately the law consider morons as normal and thus prefer to treat them as normal, though they are not normal people. Thus the manufacturers has to prevern such cased, saying "The microwave is not for dryig the cats" and so on. Here, in Russia, we just don't read manuals, as the major information in them is for such cased, to prevent the sue from morrons. :)

@arzrover Thanks for that bit of info. That is exactly what I needed. I did remove the bolt by the pressure gauge but didn't realize the pic rail bolt was still holding things in place. I removed that and was able to get it adjusted today. I turned the HST in about 1/4 turn and it shoots about 860 to 870 at 70º. Right where I wanted it. I know when summer rolls around and the 90º temps return, I'll have to go back in and turn it down. But now, very simple to do. Thanks to you and DairyBoy for the help. I appreciate it.

Crusher

Really good info here. Thank you guys. Kinetic45, where can someone get a good diagram or any other info that'll help some of us work on our AAA guns. Unfortunately, mine leaked the first day. In 25 minutes the gun lost 500 psi and kept leaking until empty. Do you have a link. I feel confident about working on air guns myself, but it's best to ask someone that has dad experience on these guns. Sending your gun back for repairs takes the fun out of the sport. And you know, you're gun will come back with some scratches and dings because no one takes care of your guns better than you. Thank you. But I feel that I may not have all the tools. For example if its the gauges that is/are leaking, those gauges don't have much space for a tool around them. And what is a "HST"?

Reactions: Chukar60
Sorry, I'm fairly new to air guns and forums and the terminologies. I think I just figured out what HST stands for: hammer spring tension? Unfortunately, I found out late (after the purchase and receiving the rifle) that the AAA EVOL 22 HPS is not externally adjustable (regulator pressure). I just assumed the bolt next to regulator pressure gauge was for the adjustments based on the pics I saw before the order. I'm almost regretting the purchase. But after some rounds the first day, this guns hits so hard and so accurate, my FX chronie couldn't believe it. It was shooting the cheap vortex domed pellets of 17+ grain well behond 1200 fps (I'm assuming as the chronie was not picking up the velocity) dead on target consistently at 45 to 50 yards. I'm almost reluctant to take the power down a bit. It arrived at around 165 bar (about 2400 psi). It's a bit high for me. I'd like a few more shots. That's when I realized that the reg pressure couldn't be adjusted externally. Has anyone adjusted the reg pressure on these at home/on your own?

evol hps (High Power Slugs) is designed for shooting slugs or heavy pellets as the monster redesigned froms jsb.... if you want it for lighter pellets, you will have to decrease the regulator pressure and also bring back the HST (you will have to put the stock aside by unscrewing that big screw next to the reg gauge and also by unscrewing the ambidextrous safety)

The 22 HPS was made to shoot slugs and the heavier .22 JSB Redesigns 25.39gr. You can try lighter weight pellets like the 18gr but you do need to bring down the speed via regulator and HST (Hammer Spring Tension) adjustments. There are some proprietary tools from AAA to disassemble the Evols and I suggest getting them. You can find them on AoA. Scroll down towards the bottom. 

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all_but_description&search_str=American+Air+Arms+

20210829_114431.1632959705.jpg

20210829_114530.1632959775.jpg

The Evol barrel wrench is a must if you have the newer Evol with the extended front scope rail and if you plan to get to the air cylinder to make reg adjustments unless you machine your own wrench. There's also an Evol pressure gauge tool available from AoA or you could machine the outer portion of a socket to fit.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/factory-parts/american-air-arms-evol-gauge-tool/

20210403_135350.1632961419.jpg

20210403_135508.1632961903.jpg

To get to the regulator, you have to degas by unscrewing (slowly) the burst disk and then remove the barrel first and then unscrew the air cylinder. Slowly pull out the reg from the bottom so you don't cut the o-ring. To decrease reg pressure, turn it clockwise (CW). To increase pressure, turn counterclockwise (CCW). 

20210912_162141.1632967870.jpg

To get to the HST, remove the bottom picatinny rail, then the safety, and then the bolt that holds the lower receiver to the upper. After that, unscrew the set screw at the bottom of the HST and you'll be able to make adjustments to it. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions. 

Wow, some really good info; especially the link and the pics. Thank you guys very much for your time and effort. It seems that with the appropriate tools, working on this gun should not be a problem. I like the fact that this gun doesn't have too many o rings. Is this gun also available for lefties? A person from AoA told me it was not. But I see on the AAA website that it is (at least it looks that way). Unless the EVOL Tactical Carbine HP from AAA is different from EVOL HPS from AoA. Also, the gun I received from AoA (Evol .22 HPS) arrived with 2400 psi set reg pressure as I mentioned before (and thanks for reminding me that this guns was built to push heavier projectiles; I just thought that maybe 2400 psi is just a little to high even for slugs - but I'm probably mistaken) so I'm assuming that the .22 cal is set to that pressure from AAA and that the bigger calibers are set higher? I'm just wondering if my gun's reg pressure was set by mistake for a bigger caliber like a .25. Either way, I'll more likely leave the reg pressure as is and see how it goes. I kinda like how fast and hard it hits and very accurately. I'll just have the compresssor on standby for more frequent refills. And just use the lighter pellets (as I have much more of those) for the RTI prophet (at least I can adjust the reg pressure on that externally). I will be ordering the tools for the EVOL from AoA. I'd like to learn from experience about the EVOL inside and outside. Nothing like learning about the parts of something and how they work together makes you appreciate it more (or less) in some cases; but it seems so far that the design and purpose of this gun will prove to be true. Thanks again guys for the responses (and I didn't have to wait long).

I had a .22 standard, the hammer spring adj. was in back of action above pistol grip just had to remove rear buttstock to access the screw, and to check velocity’s I left buttstock off until I was satisfied with the velocity.

I loved the gun!,just not enough shots per fill and by the time I received it my purpose for the gun had changed (took a year and half to get it!)

That is a long time to wait for the gun after ordering it. I'm assuming you ordered directly from AAA? I was lucky in a way that AoA just received a batch so I placed an order almost immediately. I was told they fly off the shelves like hot cakes. He said that Tom just personally delivers the rifles whenever there's a batch (5 rifles or so) to be delivered (no lead time available). Over three weeks later, they're still available on AoA's website (no biggie). Unfortunately, they had no option for left side lever nor did I realize to ask them prior to the purchase. When I asked them after the purchase, Someone from AoA told me they were not available in leftie configuration. Yesterday I thought I found the air leak culprit; the air cylinder gauge was not tightened all the way. After tightening it, the pressure seemed to hold. After coming home from work, the cylinder was completely empty. There has to be another leak somewhere. The air cylinder gauge lens/cover on my gun comes off easy and is not tight on the gauge. When I took off the painter's tape from the gauge (used to mark the pressure left), the lens came off with the tape.

That is a long time to wait for the gun after ordering it. I'm assuming you ordered directly from AAA? I was lucky in a way that AoA just received a batch so I placed an order almost immediately. I was told they fly off the shelves like hot cakes. He said that Tom just personally delivers the rifles whenever there's a batch (5 rifles or so) to be delivered (no lead time available). Over three weeks later, they're still available on AoA's website (no biggie). Unfortunately, they had no option for left side lever nor did I realize to ask them prior to the purchase. When I asked them after the purchase, Someone from AoA told me they were not available in leftie configuration. Yesterday I thought I found the air leak culprit; the air cylinder gauge was not tightened all the way. After tightening it, the pressure seemed to hold. After coming home from work, the cylinder was completely empty. There has to be another leak somewhere. The air cylinder gauge lens/cover on my gun comes off easy and is not tight on the gauge. When I took off the painter's tape from the gauge (used to mark the pressure left), the lens came off with the tape.

Contact AoA for a replacement gauge and the updated spacer hardware and o-ring size for it. They will, per your warranty, supply them to you or they may require themselves to fix them (if you send it back), depending on the deal they have with AAA. It is the only common leak area of the Evol. My .30 leaked there as well. I found a couple of thicker o-rings, applied silicone grease and tightened it back down to fix the problem. 

As other's have said, that particular model is tuned and has a barrel length and twist rate made for slug use. Pellets may not be as accurate at that speed as slugs. Shooting heavier slugs probably won't require tuning and messing with the internal regulator. You made a good purchase. Enjoy.

Hi airgun-hobbyist, that’s great information about the Evol. Thanks. I’m also having problems with the regulator gauge o-rings. I’ve tried different sizes, lubing and not lubing, but it keeps leaking. I live in Central America now so I can’t have my gun serviced easily. Would you know where I can buy the updated gauge and spacer hardware?

Reactions: Amer1can_Ak1ta