• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

American Air Arms EVOL Mini Review Part 1

Hey guys, been working hard over the past few months producing several videos for the American Air Arms products. This project was a ton of work and am excited to finally be able to share part one of my experience with it. I took the step and actually went to visit the American Air Arms facility for several days to meet with Tom Costan and get his story on how this gun was developed. He gives a detailed look inside and out of the features and overall design concept he has worked to achieve. This is the first of a two part review with the second part of me heading into the mountains for several days of real field use and camping. My impression of this rifle is very good and am blessed to have the opportunity to bring as much info as I can.

https://youtu.be/IKLVgM37Fww

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
Dana - great video. One of the few airgun actually worth its cost. Nice to see Tom and hear how he got started and see a bit of his setup. 

Love my Mini although I see some changes in the newer version you were shooting. Looks like you've got the moderator with the new STO insert - how do you like that compared to the original Mini moderator? Also I see the top rail in front of the magazine has been extended out about 1 - 1.5" over the barrel - this is a small but nice change as it opens up more and easier scope mounting options. 

I was surprised to see you pulling out the Growler slugs. What was the size of that bullseye out at 50 yards? I've tried a lot of slugs in my Mini and have not been able to pull a group under 2" out at 50 yards. I might have to give them a try, good group for hunting but I know the JSB 18.1 can pull a 3/8" group at 50 yards. 

I was surprised to see you pulling out the Growler slugs. What was the size of that bullseye out at 50 yards? I've tried a lot of slugs in my Mini and have not been able to pull a group under 2" out at 50 yards. I might have to give them a try, good group for hunting but I know the JSB 18.1 can pull a 3/8" group at 50 yards.

Have you tried the various sizes of NSAs? Meaning there OD? With my Standard with the LW barrel only liked a few ODs like .216 and .2165 the bigger or smaller opened the groups up a bit. All groups with the ones it liked had 4 under MOA at 58yds with the outliers opening up less than 3/4".

To be honest I'm not really interested in shooting slugs out of a 30 fpe gun. I tried them just for fun and was happy with the results that could have definitely been improved with practice. These shoot ok at 50 yards but the 16 and 18gr jsb work better. The mini is a "pellet" gun and was designed as one. I'll be trying them at 75 and 100 but don't expect them to shoot great as the power is just not there. This is a bush gun that I plan to use out to 75 yards for an upcoming backpack trip. 

Have you tried the various sizes of NSAs? Meaning there OD? With my Standard with the LW barrel only liked a few ODs like .216 and .2165 the bigger or smaller opened the groups up a bit. All groups with the ones it liked had 4 under MOA at 58yds with the outliers opening up less than 3/4".

I had some .2165 that I tried, can't remember weight, but didn't do so good. There was one Griffin .22 slug that was shooting okayish close up. I probably won't go through a full round of testing as I am very happy with how my Evol shoots the JSB 18gr and the H&N 21gr 5.51mm pellets.

Besides I have my Huben now so shooting slugs will be reserved to a gun designed to do it. 

It's funny I mentioned a .177 slug gun in another post. Would love one in that caliber!

Might have to order another one😉!

Great job as usual Dana! I Want to add Tom looks much more at ease and relaxed with your interview

I would love to have one for .177 slugs. I found that over time I prefer shooting heavy .177 pellets. My Leshiy loves the 13 grain JSBs. Having a .177 slug shooter would be really nice. I was going to buy an EVOL last week. Doing some research first though. I do believe it will be my here soon next buy. Currently looking at the .22 hps. If they had one in .177...

Update... I just picked up the .22 hps on Thursday. Very happy with it and have a nice variety of slugs on the way for it, as well as some heavy pellets.