• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

American Air Arms .30 Evol

The problem with the adapter is it steps into a 1/2" thread that now adds a weak link to the entire system. The factory moderator is designed to use the volume of the shroud...the Donny adapter closes that off. Of course a big fat can on the end might look cool to some but I just fail to see any definitive results to it improving anything with performance.

The problem with the adapter is it steps into a 1/2" thread that now adds a weak link to the entire system. The factory moderator is designed to use the volume of the shroud...the Donny adapter closes that off. Of course a big fat can on the end might look cool to some but I just fail to see any definitive results to it improving anything with performance.
@Crossman999 I’m envisioning what you’re describing and it sounds like you’re saying that the Donny adapter creates a bottle neck inhibiting the flow of air as it exits the shroud. Am I understanding you correctly? If so, could performance be affected by a loss in velocity while using the Donny adapter? As far as sound is concerned I can hear a noticeable difference between the two. As for the look, I prefer the look of the stock moderator. If performance is affected I’m unaware and would have to compare velocities using both moderators and comparing shot strings. I wouldn’t have thought of this if you didn’t mention it. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Yes exactly, if you pull off the moderator you will notice the barrels tensioning nut has holes around the inside...the moderator has a cone as well that acts as somewhat of a stripper. Adding the adapter is contrary to the design and through my own testing causes flyers. I get irritated when I see people doing this because I know how much time and money went into designing this system. The goal of the moderator was to keep the gun quiet, short and with minimal OD to withstand catastrophic abuse. The 1/2" threading is a weak link because it's so deep and has little material.

The Evol’s moderator is incredibly effective for its size, but I’ve also tried the Ronin, Emperor, and Fatboy on my Evol .30. The Emperor is the quietest but is too long for hunting. The Ronin doesn’t outperform the stock moderator enough to warrant increasing the length and weight of the rifle… IMO.
The Fatboy actually works pretty well on the Evol. It makes a slightly lower tone than the stock moderator and is close to the same length as the factory set up. This is actually the only application that I have used it where the Fatboy does anything at all.

Reactions: cavedweller
I have the EVOL Magnon (.30). I put a DonnyFL Ronan on it and it still has a good bark to it. I avoid shooting it in my back yard if I know there are people out and about in their yards. I can even shoot legally in town where I am at as long as the projectile stays within my yard. Just dont want the attention. But yeah, It will still bark pretty good with a Ronan at least.

Reactions: orangeokie
If weather cooperates I’m going to check three configurations for sound variation and POI issues- If I’m hunting with my Evol I will have the OEM moderator on the gun as durability is the main goal. However, if I’m in my backyard and on a bench - I’m all about the most quiet configuration I can create.
700171DA-D3D2-406C-AF50-E7071C3B0562.jpeg
6D9B4ACF-6EE2-4EFF-9D5F-4E5CB216C6D0.jpeg

Last edited:
Good weather light wind ! From a bench- I set my Evol.30 up and the center box of target is my site in verification and adjustments at 50 yards. Upper left was Evol OEM moderator, upper right my Donny Fl with no extension, Lower left my huggett with extension and lower right my Donny Fl with extension. As for acoustic impressions my subjective opinion is the Donnyfl with extension was quietest to my ears shooting from inside my shooters box followed by the Huggett with extension. In the field I would just use the OEM configuration. No appreciable POI changes.
673C36B2-F9FA-4464-BBF7-2813318EAF17.jpeg

I have the Evol Magnon and it is the most well made air gun ive ever put my hands on. An absolute pleasure to shoot. I will say that i messed around with the adaptor and a Donny fl (25/30 cal that came with my fx dreamline) and it is substantially more quiet than the stock moderator. If looking to quiet down the chirp, it is very much attainable. I kind of like the sound though and dont have to worry much about neighbors. Group sizes stayed the same with the Donny.

I wanted to document what I discovered with my .30 cal Paradigm and post it in this thread for posterity. This was the thread that got me interested in another moderator for my Evol because I wanted to be able to shoot it in my backyard.
OK, so got the Paradigm sighted in today at 30 yds. Stacks 50 grain FX pellets. The ARKEN EPL4 6-24x50 was made for this rifle. Now the really good news for which I was hoping . . . My DonnyFL 1/2 inch adapter came in today, so I was able to put the Sarissa .30 cal moderator on it. It is whisper quiet. . .Quieter than my BSA R10SE in .177 and equal to my FX Crown in .25. Definitely backyard friendly. If I go to the field to hunt, I can always switch back to the stock moderator.

Sarrissa (2).jpg

I wanted to document what I discovered with my .30 cal Paradigm and post it in this thread for posterity. This was the thread that got me interested in another moderator for my Evol because I wanted to be able to shoot it in my backyard.
OK, so got the Paradigm sighted in today at 30 yds. Stacks 50 grain FX pellets. The ARKEN EPL4 6-24x50 was made for this rifle. Now the really good news for which I was hoping . . . My DonnyFL 1/2 inch adapter came in today, so I was able to put the Sarissa .30 cal moderator on it. It is whisper quiet. . .Quieter than my BSA R10SE in .177 and equal to my FX Crown in .25. Definitely backyard friendly. If I go to the field to hunt, I can always switch back to the stock moderator.

View attachment 352770
Interesting. I've tried several moderators from DFL; Ronin, Sumo, Fat Boy 2.0, and Shogun. I also have a Huma MOD40 but it's a different thread. I've settled on a Neil Clague moderator that threads directly to the moderator nut without using the DFL 1/2x20 adapter. I wish STO would ship to me in Guam. I tried ordering a Leshiy Classic moderator insert from him but got denied.

View attachment 352770
I am finding it is hard to beat a HIGH FLOW cored Sarissa. However I am not a fan of the moderate flow cored Sarissa nor Falx.......

View attachment 352770
From what I understand, the folks at STO, who engineered that Sarissa, also designed the internal air stripping baffle inside of that AAA Evol. They may make the correct threaded adapter for the Sarissa to mate to the Evol also.

Do you know if there is
a difference in the two?
Yes, there is.
1- the size of the core
The full size and mini .22 Evols both have the same core.
.30 mod is substantially longer.
2- the porting and baffling gizmos are laid out a bit different between the two, but maybe the length difference fooled me and the .30 core is simply scaled up.