Amazon Scope Buying Warning

Joe I have returned a inexpensive Sightron scope to amazon they paid for shipping both ways, no problems. It's hard to beat there prices on some scopes.

Amazon sells lots of scopes from lots of venders with great return policy, It comes down to what scope you buy. I try to avoid buying anything I half to ship overseas for warranty, amazon is not the problem.

So maybe I'm the only one with this opinion, but I would appreciate it if you, and anyone else for that matter, would take the time to write up a little summary and post that along with your YouTube video link. This as opposed to just posting a hook and video link. Not all of us are in a place or on a device where we can just watch a video. Thank you. :)

Joe I have returned a inexpensive Sightron scope to amazon they paid for shipping both ways, no problems. It's hard to beat there prices on some scopes.

Amazon sells lots of scopes from lots of venders with great return policy, It comes down to what scope you buy. I try to avoid buying anything I half to ship overseas for warranty, amazon is not the problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Same here.

I use Amazon expressly for that reason. I recently had to return a rifle recorder. Amazon paid the shipping and refunded my money to my debit account as soon as FedX created the tracking number. My wife and I have ordered all manner of items per Amazon for years and never a glitch.

Mahalo Joe 

That's good information to know. I personally bought scopes from Amazon but I have to confess I am a Amazon prime member and get free shipping to Hawaii which is why I buy from them. Recently I bought a athlon midas tac after watching your video review from Amazon because when I tried opticsplanet they were more expensive, even after my military discount. But here's what I really didn't like is that they wanted to charge me my Hawaii sales tax. When I asked the girl I was talking to what distribution center is located in Hawaii she said I don't know and you have to pay us the tax. Also the shipping for a scope was 72.00 ups ground, I asked her how big is the box the scope is in because I can ship a rifle for that price 2nd day air. Well as you can see I did get the scope from Amazon with free shipping and it arrived in 3 days to Hawaii. But yes you are right in a sense that we have to watch out from who and where we buy our products. Just my 2 cents. 

Aloha,

Keone 

I've quit buying scopes on Amazon because of their crappy packaging. The last scope I bought was just the OE scope box bouncing around in a shipping box. No padding or cushioning whatsoever. I certainly liked the two day Prime shipping, but for the last one, I bought it from Pyramyd Air. Yeah, their "three day shipping" turned out to be more like "week and a half shipping", but it's also the holiday season...I'll cut 'em some slack on that!

Well, I've looked at the video. I took some different thoughts away from it. What I took away from it was "well, I knew I was buying Chinese, I knew it was risky, but I did it anyway, and I got bit in the ass, wah wah wah wah wah." "It was Joe Wayne Rhea's fault!"

Lemme tellya'll a story. About 27 years ago, I got into repairing major appliances...dryers, washers, frigs, stoves, like that. Made a good living at it, I've kept doing it part time when I went back to working for government, still do it today. I made good money at it in the beginning because I could repair them for a lot less than you could buy a new one for, and I always watched out for the customer's best interest in not letting them pay more for a repair than it was worth. I was working on excellent quality, American continent made machines. Any given major appliance would last you anywhere between fifteen and thirty years.

Flash forward to today. Washers...three to five years. Frigs...eight to ten. Ranges about the same. Popular appliances with lotsa features made in Europe and Asia...I call 'em 'off-shore machines'. And they're all junk. Even the American continent machines. Junk.

Why, you ask? Because of guys like 'Gunnilingus'. Americans shop the bottom line. NOT for quality. Well, boys and girls, you're gonna get one or the other. Not both. If you want quality, and things made in 'Murica, expect to pay two or three times as much. If you want low price, you're gonna get things made 'off shore', and tricky dealings. Just like Gunnilingus found out.

I'm glad I'm not having to make a living anymore repairing appliances...It's very difficult to explain to a customer that their one day and one month old out of warranty fine LG washer that they paid $500 on sale at the local big box store is gonna require $600 worth of repairs, and at the end of that, ask for a fifty buck service call fee. Hell, I've heard many tales where the fine pile has been on warranty, and the technician comes out, says 'this is not repairable', and they give the customer a new machine...same piece of junk, but new.

And this is all trickling down to our hobbies, including air guns and the ancillary goodies that we buy for them. Most of us aren't gonna post videos sniveling about it, but when a guy goes into a purchase with price as the primary focus, don't cry about it when you get burned! The reason this stuff is happening is because of...US!

Reactions: JoeWayneRhea
This is something that is starting to get a lil outta hand on Amazon and Ali-Express

https://youtu.be/5ElqyXcYFHI

Joe, you are correct. Buying anything on-line is a crap shoot. However, try returning a bad product to a big box store, you have a big hassle as well. Returning anything is a big PIA. On the other hand, depending on the item, I have had some amazing successful results. I use two Scuba 12 liter air tanks and the tank valves were not the best. These were G3/4 Thread (3/4 NPS). I ordered two new ones via Aliexpress. One arrived with the thread relief hole drilled into the sealing seat. I complained and the factory simply sent me a new one. So, it isn't always gloom and doom, but it is always a hassle and a crap shoot. The perceived savings of buying on-line is a gamble, no question.

Mahalo Joe 

That's good information to know. I personally bought scopes from Amazon but I have to confess I am a Amazon prime member and get free shipping to Hawaii which is why I buy from them. Recently I bought a athlon midas tac after watching your video review from Amazon because when I tried opticsplanet they were more expensive, even after my military discount. But here's what I really didn't like is that they wanted to charge me my Hawaii sales tax. When I asked the girl I was talking to what distribution center is located in Hawaii she said I don't know and you have to pay us the tax. Also the shipping for a scope was 72.00 ups ground, I asked her how big is the box the scope is in because I can ship a rifle for that price 2nd day air. Well as you can see I did get the scope from Amazon with free shipping and it arrived in 3 days to Hawaii. But yes you are right in a sense that we have to watch out from who and where we buy our products. Just my 2 cents. 

Aloha,

Keone

It's not "sales tax" but a "use tax". I'm guessing they were charging you 4%? A lot of states are doing this now, and I do know Hawaii was considering this in 2018 (not sure if it passed or not). No nexus needed for the business to Hawaii, just the delivery into the state. The states are doing this to be more "fair" to local business's who are located within the state.

@JoeWayneRhea - I'm digging your videos, we have a similar sense of humor!

That said, I refuse to buy anything from Amazon of value, especially anything that I would be disappointed in - if I received a low quality item. Amazon, B&H Photo, Optics Planet are a dumping ground for bad QC items and refurbs, I don't mind paying more for something new (especially something from a reliable manufacturer that carries a warranty).