Am I the only one who is sick of bullpups?!!!

I really like a tradional rifle, I love a nicely figured stock. I think the Daystate Regal is one of the best looking and best valued rifles on the market. That being said, no, I am not sick of bullpups. How could you be sick of a short, easy to handle, extremely accurate power house? Show me a .25 that will put out over 60 flbs, talking Cricket here, and give you a decent shot count that is not over 4 ft. Long. Nope, I'm not sick of them.

How ridiculous...

"the bullpup thing" is not a craze. It's a style of rifle that most people like. It's not going anywhere and it will never end so get over it.

I really don't see what the issue is. With the exception of a tiny minority of manufacturers, most offer a selection of both traditional rifles and bullpups so everyone can buy what they want.

Manufacturers are still bringing out new traditional style rifles and there are still more available than there are bullpups so there is nothing to complain about.

For those who think it is a generational thing, my advice would be to try bullpups before saying anything. Older people will benefit the most from a lightweight center-balanced platform instead of a front-heavy rifle. It's far kinder on your back and joints. 

Reactions: scubajeeper
I have Bottle stock guns, Standard rifle, Carbine, Bullpups and Semi-Bullpups. Each is suitable to a different purpose. As long as I can hit a turtle head at 50 yards off hand I am happy. ;) Although I prefer a fine wood stock I tend to be over protective of my wood stock'd guns (Daystate, FX Walnut, Air Arms etc.) because I don't want to mar the fine wood.

Thurmond 

"zebra"How ridiculous...

"the bullpup thing" is not a craze. It's a style of rifle that most people like. It's not going anywhere and it will never end so get over it.

Nope, definitely a craze. lol

I really don't see what the issue is. That's cause you've drunk the Kool-Aid. With the exception of a tiny minority of manufacturers, most offer a selection of both traditional rifles and bullpups so everyone can buy what they want.

Manufacturers are still bringing out new traditional style rifles and there are still more available than there are bullpups so there is nothing to complain about.

Since when is there nothing to complain about?

For those who think it is a generational thing, my advice would be to try bullpups before saying anything. Older people will benefit the most from a lightweight center-balanced platform instead of a front-heavy rifle. It's far kinder on your back and joints. 

How do you make them kinder on your eyes, haha

I'm an avid archer. I love recurve bows. I can't stand longbows. I wouldn't accept one if it was given to me...well, I would but I'd sell it right away. However, I do as many suggests above; I look the other way, I avoid threads that seem to be about them, and of course I would skip the exhibits at shows that featured them.

Lots of fine people love longbows (and bullpups too I'm sure). I'm glad they do. This means I don't wait quite as long to get a custom recurve built and I don't have to pay more as the price is jacked up by demand.

Please manufacturers, stop putting so much effort into new airgun designs that were originally conceived for close quarters, urban combat and focus more on rifles designed for long range shooting! :)

Last night I had a terrible nightmare! I dreamed that I opened my gun safe and some how my beautiful air rifle had morphed into one of those hideous looking air rifle 'wannabe' abominations known as a, "bullpup" ! :)

Seriously, all in fun, just pokin' at the bullpup crowd! I am glad we are fortunate enough to have so many choices in designs.

"Ghostmaker"
"zebra"How ridiculous...

Nope, definitely a craze. lol

I really don't see what the issue is. That's cause you've drunk the Kool-Aid. With the exception of a tiny minority of manufacturers, most offer a selection of both traditional rifles and bullpups so everyone can buy what they want.

Since when is there nothing to complain about?

How do you make them kinder on your eyes, haha

I have come to realize that as people get older, their looks are not something they retain so stop worrying about them. 

My Mutant is one of my favorite guns and it's one of the ugliest. My Daystate Huntsman Regal was one of the most attractive but I sold it because it never got used. Nobody will see me with the mutant and go "ooh that's nice" but it puts smile on my face every time I shoot it. It's just so accurate, quiet, efficient, reliable and light. It's a joy to own.

I like the look of a nice highly figured walnut but very few traditional style rifles actually come with them so I try and focus on the ones that shoot the best and are most comfortable for me to shoulder and carry. I'm not that old yet but I have a bad back and a few other injuries that make me appreciate a light a compact package.

I also use the available data to form my preferences. The fact is that none of the top 50 long range shooters in America are using traditional wood stocks anymore because they are functionally inferior. They flex and move with the weather. They shrink over time. They are delicate (especially if designed with thin walls). They are using stocks made from composites like carbon fiber and fiberglass or aluminum chassis systems. Btw, bullpups are starting to creep into that list too. A few of the top 50 long range competition shooters were using the Desert Tech SRS A1 long range bullpup system last year. 

I've been slowly replacing all my factory stocks with carbon fiber versions. They are unbeatable for stiffness, strength, weight and stability. 

As somebody else already said, the thing to do is have a selection of both in your collection so you have nice wood to look at when you want but a light bullpup to grab for a walk in the woods. 

These forums are full of threads from people who were stubbornly anti-bullpup and they became converts when they finally bought one. If you want a short air rifle, it's common sense to choose the one that retains the full length barrel and air tube over the one that barks your ears off through a 10" barrel and only gets 10-15 shots per fill....

"jfrazier30"After owning a Vulcan for over a year.. I honestly cannot imagine going back to a full length rifle.

I remember a time when the bullpup guns looked so odd to me, but now it's the other way around. Long guns look so vulnerable and awkward to handle.

How do you get close to that thing after you've shot it? I've shot a few skunks and they were all good shots, no spray but after a few minutes the oil started leaking out and they still stank something fierce.

"Ghostmaker"
"jfrazier30"After owning a Vulcan for over a year.. I honestly cannot imagine going back to a full length rifle.

I remember a time when the bullpup guns looked so odd to me, but now it's the other way around. Long guns look so vulnerable and awkward to handle.

How do you get close to that thing after you've shot it? I've shot a few skunks and they were all good shots, no spray but after a few minutes the oil started leaking out and they still stank something fierce.
Look I don't "hate" bullpups. They are not for me but I can see the advantages.

I'm just growing weary of every thread, video, picture, review and new release being another bullpup monstrosity. I'm sure i'm exaggerating but it just seems that way these days.

BREAKING NEWS! This just in! President elect, "The Donald" has announced that following an investigation about all the trouble Bullpups have caused to the airgunning community, he has assembled a task force who's job will be to round-up all the ugly, trouble making airgun 'wannabes' and ship them back where they came from!

You gotta love this guy! "Respect"! :)

"Ghostmaker"
"Ghostmaker"

Look I don't "hate" bullpups. They are not for me but I can see the advantages.

I'm just growing weary of every thread, video, picture, review and new release being another bullpup monstrosity. I'm sure i'm exaggerating but it just seems that way these days.

They aren't monstrosities. They are awesome! It's the efficient use of space and the balance. It's just better.

Out of all the bullpups available in all the different styles and materials, if you can't find one you like the look of then you are the problem, not the bullpups.

Check out some of Michal Osyda's work. Anyone who appreciates nice wood would have to like them....