Am I the only one who is sick of bullpups?!!!

I've only been at this 4 years (I'm 62). I was first and am still mostly attracted to the more traditional rifle look. My first air rifle was an AA S410 FAC. Still have that beautiful rifle, got it out of the safe last night in fact. Next was the Daystate Regal XL which I bought from AoA last December, one for my son too. Beautiful rifle and the closest I could find to a powder burner look. A month later the Wolverine. I'm not 100% on this one although it is a shooter, powerful (.25), accurate, Daystate workmanship, etc. But it is as long as a Weatherby (I like my PBs under 40" as well). 

But, I was intrigued by the utility (compact) of the bullpen, and bought an FX Wildcat .25 which arrived Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I think this is going to be very handy in the squirrel woods and I'll be less worried about dinging up nice wood since mine has the synthetic stock.

Don't know where I'll end up. I'll know a lot more by February after the bullpen and the wolverine go head to head (pun sort of intended) on a few squirrels in the creek bottom.

If I were a betting person, I think there is most likely an Air Wolf in my future, it is short enough at 40", the Daystate build is unmatched, and, while not traditional at all, the electronic stats seem so cool. If this one was solid (shot count and FPE) in a .25 instead of the .22, I'd probably already have one.

I've only been at this 4 years (I'm 62). I was first and am still mostly attracted to the more traditional rifle look. My first air rifle was an AA S410 FAC. Still have that beautiful rifle, got it out of the safe last night in fact. Next was the Daystate Regal XL which I bought from AoA last December, one for my son too. Beautiful rifle and the closest I could find to a powder burner look. A month later the Wolverine. I'm not 100% on this one although it is a shooter, powerful (.25), accurate, Daystate workmanship, etc. But it is as long as a Weatherby (I like my PBs under 40" as well). 

But, I was intrigued by the utility (compact) of the bullpen, and bought an FX Wildcat .25 which arrived Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I think this is going to be very handy in the squirrel woods and I'll be less worried about dinging up nice wood since mine has the synthetic stock.

Don't know where I'll end up. I'll know a lot more by February after the bullpup and the wolverine go head to head (pun sort of intended) on a few squirrels in the creek bottom.

If I were a betting person, I think there is most likely an Air Wolf in my future, it is short enough at 40", the Daystate build is unmatched, and, while not traditional at all, the electronic stats seem so cool. If this one was solid (shot count and FPE) in a .25 instead of the .22, I'd probably already have one.

Wildcat:

Regal:

I own 2 rifles and 2 bullpups. Enjoy shooting both. For hunting especially in the woods nothing beats a short pup. Bullpups are not for everybody but dont knock the pup until you tried one. Took me about 2 weeks of shooting a bullpup exclusively to get used of it. Now I would not be without one.

Photo above is one of the places I hunt. Much easier carrying and setting up for a shot with a light/short pup. From my experience a good bipod is needed if your going to enjoy a bullpup.

"iride"Wow, to each his own, But please try one before you knock it, That way you will have more ammunition to hate them.
You know, I shot a dam Cricket and the dam bolt thing loading the pellets sucked,
And the shorty mutant, Load the dam thing up its so short no matter which way you point it to shot you end up hitting the bulls eye,
Just know sport in shooting that dam gun.
I under stand why people hate the dam things, WE just need to here the facts, from real shooters ,
I saw one of them Vulcans at a gun show , I bet it could not hit the side of a barn it was so short, I bet the pellet would drop two feet every thirty feet as short as that dam barrel was, Them bull Pups really SUCK.............
Mike

FYI. There's nothing wrong with hating bullpups based on esthetics alone without ever trying one. I don't like pontiac Aztecs either and I've never tried one but I here they are extremely practical and work well. 

i did shoulder a pulsar once and I have to say it just felt wrong. 

I used to be in your shoes why would anyone like bullpups they just don't look right and must be very uncomfortable to shoot I'll take traditional rifles anyday...but im a hunter so I prefer synthetic stocks. Thought I'd try some tactical air rifles had a WARP loved that gun very accurate and fun to shoot but I didn't feel comfortable with the tactical feel even though I love my M&P 15-22. So that got sold and all the hype about the Mutants made me want to try one...now my traditional rifles are getting sold to make room and free funds for the .25 Mutants coming out soon lol best feeling gun and most accurate with the best trigger I've felt on any Airgun and I've had a decent amount also...don't knock then til you try them but then again I'm just sticking with Mutants none of the other bullpups catch my eye

So last night one of my good friends came by to purchase my Marauder pistol. He fell in love with it after shooting PCP's for the first time, being a hunter with powder burners all his life. He's getting his young son into shooting and realized how easy and accurate PCP's are compared to the Daisy multi-pump and Gamo break-barrel he currently owns. Long story short, he shot a few of my PCP's and felt he could afford the Marauder pistol (wife said OK) so I sold him mine to make room in my gun cabinet for other toys. He came by last night and after exchanging funds he asked me what my "current favorite" PCP is. So I brought out the Daystate Huntsman Regal XL. I also pulled out my Brocock Compatto and an Air Arms S500 in the ultralite poplar stock as well. By far his favorite was the Daystate. He couldn't put it down! He said it looked just like a traditional rifle and preferred its light weight and short length compared to any of the other guns. I told him the synthetic Compatto may fit him better since he's regularly going out in the woods to hunt, but nope, he still liked the traditional rifle look.

I suspect that a lot of guys that come from powder burners/firearms are naturally drawn to traditional looking rifles with nice wood stocks and can tell quality the minute they pick up a nice rifle. That's not to say that they may end up with a bullpup or hybrid down the road, but last night I feared he'd want to buy my Daystate on his way out as well.

The best looking rifle I ever had was my .177 Walnut Air Arms S500, but just never shot it because I had too darn many rifles to choose from.
The ones I shoot the most are my .177 Thomas FT of course followed by the Colibri and newly acquired .22 Cricket pup. My two Cricket Carbines haven't seen much use lately. Might even have to sell the .22 Carbine for a Mutant purchase? LOL
I thought my Air Arms was a laser (and it was) until I got my .177 Cricket Carbine and my .177 Thomas, so as pretty as it was I had to let her go.

My friend Dwight took these pics after I sold it to him.

"CampFussell"The best looking rifle I ever had was my .177 Walnut Air Arms S500, but just never shot it because I had too darn many rifles to choose from.
The ones I shoot the most are my .177 Thomas FT of course followed by the Colibri and newly acquired .22 Cricket pup. My two Cricket Carbines haven't seen much use lately. Might even have to sell the .22 Carbine for a Mutant purchase? LOL
I thought my Air Arms was a laser (and it was) until I got my .177 Cricket Carbine and my .177 Thomas, so as pretty as it was I had to let her go.

My friend Dwight took these pics after I sold it to him.

That is a thing of beauty. I need to order a walnut stock for my S510

The thing I would ask those that say here that they don't like bullpups if they hunt in the woods with lots of underbrush and at times thorn bushes. If they did they would be hunting with a bullpup. If they took their long rifles out that situation they would be cursing all the branches they would be snagging and what would their shiney wood stocks look like after getting muddy and scratched up by the brush. Now if you hunt out in the open or target shoot off a bench no problems with a traditional rifle of which I own more that a few. Bullpups do have their place and at times function goes before aesthetics. Bill

While I have and think I'm going to like bullpup. I agree with poster about aesthetics. I like recurve bows and don't like longbows or self bows at all. It is purely an aesthetic preference for curves and lots of wood in the riser. Same goes for rifles vs. bullpups for me. However, the thing that "looks" good to me about the FX Wildcat is its utility. Most air rifles are quite heavy and long (at least a lot of PCPs), more so than nice .22 and .17 rimfire rifles. 

"bowwild"The bipods look cool and would sure be nice on tables and flat land. Probably pretty good for prairie dogs or "pesting" feeders?

They don't work at all in the squirrel woods. Most shots are standing while using a nearby tree for a rest. The ground is usually quite littered with herbaceous cover, seedlings and saplings.
I always have a bi-pod on my Wildcat when squirrel hunting. Not that I use it for shooting but use it to keep the rifle off the ground when I set it down to scan for the game. Bill