Am I drinking too much fx cool aid?

When I read about the velocity shortcomings regarding what FX advertised as the FPE levels of the Sniper Wildcat 3, and what the WC III shooters really found them to be, I pushed that glass of Koolaide back to the bartender and ordered a straight shot of American made Texan LSS 257.

the Texan LSS that I purchased instead, has the power to shoot 200yards and exceeded what AF rated it at. After polishing the barrel, replacing the steel tank with a .5 L of 3600 psi CF, removing the valve return spring and adding a noble spring, I actually have to turn it down now with the excellent Arsenal molds version of the Elmer Keith designed 257420.

Truthfulness of manufacturing claims rate right at the top for me, after owning a few great FX’s I found their new batch of Koolaide tasted sour to me.

Time will tell how FX sweetens that last batch for those who purchased those under performing guns.

Regards,

Roachcreek

NO, imho you're not! EVERYONE wants to shoot like Ted or Matt & guys are so quick to jump on the "better gun" bandwagon. There are so many great airguns out now but if we're not able to do OUR part it doesn't matter what gun or how much we spend. Personally, I'm on the FX cool aid line too but, really, it's been the last year that my abilities have grown substantially. Before that, it wasn't the equipment that wouldn't allow me to make long shots, it was that my ability had not yet "grown into" what it took to get the optimum performance from the guns I own. Glad you were able to find out what your FX gun and, more importantly, YOU can do. Be safe & shoot straight (not hard to do with FX)

The FX was the last gun I considered looking at. I took a gamble and got an Impact II anyway. After a few months with it now, I am very happy I took that gamble. I find the FX Impact II to be an excellent platform for advanced air gunners, or those wanting to learn air gunning more. The performance, power, consistency and flexibility runs circles around my Marauders, as it should. A very well designed platform that is very easy to manipulate inside and out. 

If you are some one who enjoys dialing in your gun to perfection, you'll find this gun to be of interest. You can change or alter the hammer weight, hammer spring and valve spring internally fairly easily. Externally you can adjust the hammer spring tension, regulator, and valve travel. That's huge! Not to mention custom TP sizes or multiple sizes with a 180° barrel flip. Or, different barrel lengths and twist rates along with the ability to index these barrels. I really like that I can tune this gun to have a reliable first shot from an overnight rest, and I find the cocking effort near effortless using the high capacity mags along with the forward cocking design.

With all of that said, it is not a gun for first timers, IMHO. Nor is it a gun for those that don't have a passion to adjust and tinker with their airguns. It doesn't make sense to pay for this adjustability and be miserable when it gets out of wack and you're not really wanting to learn or know how to bring the tune back. It's just as easy to get this gun out of wack as it is to dial it back in, but that takes a lot of pellets for a novice, or not.

Roachcreek ... let say you do not modified the texan only polishing the barrel.., even a factory. 257 Texan have enough power to push a 85g over 400y+ .$1100 shipped + a external regulator another $300 n that's it you are in the long range game..without 30 orings or seals to fail .. the airforce platform never needs to go for service..I service all my airforce even when I'm not mechanically inclined..when I don't want to single load .. I take my cricket out..all of them old n used..pin pont accurate with pellets or slug even cast bullets shoots great..I like how the Impact works..but when I saw that i could do the same with a $800 used cricket..or a external regulator on my .22 condor... I saw that 3/4 of the vids are marketing buls$#&^@*--- they do a 150y shoot with a 2k gun I have shoot pest at 200y with a $800 used compact cricket n 17g Nielsen slugs .. I service my crickets to so easy to work on those guns..I almost purchase a mk2 but when the reviews started to roll...nope no koolaid for me...but there is something for everyone certainly many would never touch a airforce condor or texan again..my friend hates them..me I have a few..
1597606828_10283811195f398bac91b394.79323076.jpg
.........223 -- .257 ...going long..

I think to truly answer this question, you have to ask yourself this - Would the airgun industry be where it is today without FX? I'm not going to proclaim myself an industry expert, but to me the innovations they put forth really set a certain benchmark that other airgun companies have to meet and compete with. So do I drink the FX cool-aid? Hell Ya I do, I own 2 FX's, and will definitely consider buying another gun from them in the future for when a gun comes out that meets my needs. But, do I only drink the FX cool-aid? No... I also drink Edgun cool-aid, Benjamin cool-aid, Ataman cool-aid, and might soon to be Daystate cool-aid. I don't discriminate! 

Let me fix my comment n explain..first the hatsans has been good to me Springer's and pcp n Sumatras external regulated to .even the p15 some are great guns to for the average distance a shorter has 20y to 60y maybe n well tuned they could go 100y to .. now I'm using crickets n airforce n taipans those work for me just fine. N everyone should buy what ever they feel happy with.....the problem is this ..when I sold my sheeper guns to go up I was going to buy a impact..I wanted the top ..but if you compare the reviews of the taipans n crickets by the time the reviews of the impact x came out it was a bit disappointing so I purchase 2 taipan long..and the video of the guide to fx barrel came out in that video he trashed every barrel manufacturer...and said that it was almost impossible to have success with slugs if you were not using the fx barrels..n how those were the perfection made barrel..what happen I could shoot slugs accurately with my cz taipans,..so that is a complete lie ...I could even shot accurately cast bullets from my crickets ..another fx barrel vid came later he said that the perfect barrel he was shooting that day every other barrel will be exactly the same..lies lies lies..every YouTube vid or revier have a different result...so a lie again in my face...he's fault..? No he can't be at the factory supervising every barrel that comes out...he's fault is lying for money..for the sponsorship.. because unlike most of us that actually work. Fx is he's money making machine.I dont think nobody in the industry owns anything to fx .. every one is making their own things...and you dont se any other manufacturer investing so much sponsoring Youtubers to push their fantasy product..but that is the business of marketing n they have done a great job..almost get caught to..by the time the taipan long I purchased were in the market there wasn't no taipan marketing no cricket marketing....98% of satisfied customers reviews sold me the guns .....LET ME TELL YOU ANOTHER MARKETING BULS$#&^@* ...carefully casted n sized bullet are as good than sway bullet..

I think that just about everyone on this forum is drinking some form of kool aid or hateraide. 😉

I’ve been caught up in the FX hype myself. I just got tired of the constant stream of “upgrades” and ended up spending more money than I wanted to. After a while I realized that the old stuff is probably 95% as good as the new stuff so why bother trying to keep up?

It’s the same with slugs. It’s a growth market for the industry so of course they’re pushing it hard with marketing but very few of us live in South Africa or Utah where we could use slugs to their full potential anyway. 

I struggle with the more is better syndrome sometimes then I swing the other way and want to sell it all off and start over.

I have the Streamline and it's an amazing rifle. One thing about it too is the 3 level power wheel. I have found that to be a useful feature AND it's almost like getting another couple guns figuring out ranges and holdovers with the other power settings.

Here is a target I shot when I first got the Streamline. Mine would shoot 60 shots on high power. This is 55 shots, 5 at each dot at 50 yards. I think this is pretty good and NOT cherry picked.

You already have some great rifles! Stick with what you have and save yourself some grief. I sold a FX Royale 400 and it didn't take long before I missed it and wished that I hadn't sold it. I ended up buying another one to replace it even though it's basically the same gun as my Streamline. Gerry52 ^^^^ reminded me recently about how good the Royale platform is. I was actually considering selling my second Royale 400! Changed my mind after reading his post.

1597699113_10180590675f3af429300e99.78470289.jpeg

1597699150_14902334155f3af44e399471.58229945.jpeg

1597699179_11521799405f3af46bc728f0.27682699.jpeg

I’ve owned numerous airguns over the years and have determined that most are just as accurate. It’s up to the shooter to make them work. In my competition days, I’ve seen way too many people trade up to expensive guns figuring their scores would significantly improve. Well they did for a while until the shooter sank back into his old habits. Then one of the top shooters would take his old cheap gun and embarrass the crap out of him. So, shooting is a mind game and you have to study yourself and correct your bad techniques.

Everything around you in the internet airgun community is a marketing machine. Don’t ever doubt that. A lot of the airgun talking heads on Youtube are making substantial money talking you into buying whatever product their sponsors want you to buy. That’s just the way it works. 

Yes, FX is a master of the Youtube hype machine. Probably more than any other one airgun company. 

At what point are you drinking the Kool-Aid? I guess at the point you aren’t realizing when you’re being marketed to or thinking critically about claims being made. For example, I can’t tell you how much hype I’ve seen in social media about the hybrid slugs with the impression given that FX engineers slaved over these bullets and have now changed the industry. But anyone who’s been around knows that’s bunk. They’re Rat Sniper Slugs that have been around for years. FX just realized that Mike’s slugs shot well out of their pellet barrels and it would be shrewd to market the slugs with their guns where there is a trend in the industry towards moving to slugs. If your understanding the hybrid slugs is more along the lines of “look at this ammo from the gods” instead of what I just laid out, then you’ve probably been chugging the Kool-Aid

Reactions: Macros
 FX is availalbe in many countrys across the world, and many forum members are also not from US. I personally live in Norway, and availability of US, and even eastern european guns are scarce. You simply cant buy them, as there is none selling them. Seems like US has distributors from more brands, than some european countrys, so the choices are bigger. Guns are overal just more popular in US.

One thing about the Impact and probably the other FX guns as well. I bought it because it is adjustable in so many ways. Just remember, if it's capable of being adjusted to shoot better, it's also capable of shooting worse. Nothing more frustrating than trying to get that last Nth degree and over correcting and ending up worse than when you started.

Example, my Marauder. I added a regulator, and naturally, it's not externally adjustable. So, to adjust, you degass the gun, disassemble the gun, remove the regulator, make an adjustment to your best guess, and reverse the process, air up the gun and test fire. Each adjustment can take a half hour, so you plan them out carefully and once you get really close, you stop and don't touch it anymore.

With the Impact, the desire to adjust has no bounds. More power, just adjust that little external screw and off to the races. A little less power, try that power wheel or degass and screw it in a quarter turn. You can play to your hearts content. Its almost disappointing when you get it right, because tinkering is so fun.

Then with all that tinkering, you get it way out of whack and you have no clue what to do with it. Then it becomes the ultimate in frustration (been there) because it's so easy to screw up.

Koolaid? maybe, but they sure are fun to play with. My current plan is to pick up an Avenger in .22 and tinker away. Then, when I can get back to the range, get an Impact in .22. My goal is to tinker with the Avenger, once I get the Impact where I want it, don't touch it thereafter till it needs some attention.

Oh, if I only had more money to play with!

One thing about the Impact and probably the other FX guns as well. I bought it because it is adjustable in so many ways. Just remember, if it's capable of being adjusted to shoot better, it's also capable of shooting worse. Nothing more frustrating than trying to get that last Nth degree and over correcting and ending up worse than when you started.

Example, my Marauder. I added a regulator, and naturally, it's not externally adjustable. So, to adjust, you degass the gun, disassemble the gun, remove the regulator, make an adjustment to your best guess, and reverse the process, air up the gun and test fire. Each adjustment can take a half hour, so you plan them out carefully and once you get really close, you stop and don't touch it anymore.

With the Impact, the desire to adjust has no bounds. More power, just adjust that little external screw and off to the races. A little less power, try that power wheel or degass and screw it in a quarter turn. You can play to your hearts content. Its almost disappointing when you get it right, because tinkering is so fun.

Then with all that tinkering, you get it way out of whack and you have no clue what to do with it. Then it becomes the ultimate in frustration (been there) because it's so easy to screw up.

Koolaid? maybe, but they sure are fun to play with. My current plan is to pick up an Avenger in .22 and tinker away. Then, when I can get back to the range, get an Impact in .22. My goal is to tinker with the Avenger, once I get the Impact where I want it, don't touch it thereafter till it needs some attention.

Oh, if I only had more money to play with!

A good point. All the latest models of FX guns have the externable adjsustable AMP reg. Dreamline, wildcat, crown, impact, all have that option. Owning an FX gun is a nice way to learn to tune a gun, but with also the option to screw it up. And with how to videos like Ernest Rowe`s, it make it easy to learn the gun. An unexperianced user would hesitate to dismantle a new gun, and may ruin the varanty, to tune it. With an FX gun you can tune, and still keep your waranty.