• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Am I drinking too much fx cool aid?

Hello Fellow Air Gunners,

For some time been watching lots of fx youtube videos, reading AGN posts and getting all riled up in a discontented FOMO state. I have two fx streamlines- .22 and .25 and felt quite inadequate not having a Impact, Crown, superior barrel etc. Then I went shooting today....

I have a weekly pesting contract at a container port shooting pigeons. Normally this place is windy, and often shooting birds sitting at 60 to 80 feet high. I often miss, blaming the gun. Thinking- if only I had an Impact I could shoot like Matt or Ted. Never mind the wind or angle!

However today was clear and calm. Guns shooting JSB 18s and 25s at about 920fps. There was a long wind free lane of containers and one container blocking the end of the lane at exactly 60 yards. I benched on a concrete block and started shooting the dots on the letter "i" on this end container. No problem! Both guns shot under 1" groups. Often the soft JSB pellets splatting on top of each other. Not one flier!

In today's windless shooting session these older ST barrels were laser beams. It revealed proper rang finding and benching is vital, also marksmanship and taking ones time.

I realized my two humble AGs are quite good and if i was to invest in anything it would be better scopes and better range finder.

Just thinkn'...

Shoot what makes you happy and what works!!

My favorite gun is the M10 .22 MrodAir sold years ago for 279.00 bought 4 of them over the past few months....Also LOVE my Hatsan Bullboss .25.

I have multiple Impacts and Crowns and Dreamlines and Boss and Wildcats of all generations not to mention DayStates with fancy red laminate stocks and so on and so on.

When my son and I head to the back yard to bet a penny a shot we sure don't head out the back door with $2k guns under our arms.

Keep up the good work!

Everyone has on this forum. Jokingly I refer to this forum as FXnation

It does seem like there is a cult following here, no matter how many problems are posted, people can’t get enough of them ! Glad it’s not my money.

i also have a 22 streamline and a 25 streamline along with a 25 dreamline classic.never had any type of problem at all.they are by far the best hunting air rifle out there.my shot to kill ratio has increased a good amount.i damm glad I spent my money on them cause they well worth what I paid.going on three years with the streamlines and a year with the dreamline and still shoot as well as when they were new.

My old Royale can still hold its own. Toying up with fitting a Huma reg, but to be honest it probably doesn't need it.

On a beautiful, fine, windless afternoon a few weeks back, it was shooting consistently under half inch at 50m as usual.

But the best groups were just over 0.75 at 100m and a 0.4 inch groups at 75m!

Was one of those good days though were everything just kept on working. 

The Streamline is, I think, essentially a cylinder version of the Royale platform, of which I have a Royale 400. It is a simple, robust, and very accurate rifle, and it's the only FX platform I currently own, or will ever own. I had a Crown, and it shot well when all was in tune, but it required constant fiddling to keep it so. POI was unreliable from one outing to the next, and following even minor handling bumps. IMO, when your design involves a liner, sleeve, shroud, moderator, you have a recipe for numerous issues that are better avoided in a rifle that sees use beyond the bench. 

Blackbird, this is a good reminder for sure! Most of the hype is marketing to get me to buy another gun. I have an older S400 Air Arms that has a beautiful stock in preteen condition. It will shoot as good as anything I have. Since I don't use it I would like to sell it but I don't have a clue what I could get for it. So it sets in a climate controlled safe,

You do need to be careful with the cool aid! There are a lot of flavors on AGN and way to many that look like the coke bottle on the side of the road with the yellow stuff in it! 
Owning and shooting most of the guns you are comparing for hunting, at those ranges, with pellets, you are absolutely correct and don’t waist your money! If I was so cursed in to needing to do your side job? With out hesitation I would grab my Royale 400 22, for that job. Leaving multiple cool aid guns at home! If your job was prairie dogs at 150-200 yards, yes! You would have way, way more success with with a (properly tuned) impact for that gig, shooting slugs at high velocity, with authority btw
Teds video was a very good comparison, but I’m telling you guys, if 5 different people did the exact same test, with their “optimal” tune, you will get 5 different results! None of them being right or wrong! Just different? Just my 2 cents gents, peace ✌️ P.s. don’t drink yellow cool aid👍🏻