Am I correct?

Who is right?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The seller should disclose any known defects in the used air rifle. I find it interesting that the majority commenters think otherwise. With some saying, that getting a defective product comes with the risk of buying used, at a discount. Yet, at the same time -- these members --disagree with disclosing the seller's identity, for risk of "smearing" the seller's name. I find that to be contradictory. If non-disclosure of defects in used products is acceptable, why is it a "smear" to disclose the seller?
Nevertheless, I find the comments to be very interesting and useful...I know who not to buy used items from based on the opinions here.😉
BTW: I've purchased maybe 40 PCPs, and never has any of them arrived with leaks.
Do not get me started.

I have gotten 2 rifles now that I have had to repair upon arrival, a phone call to each letting them know that I was going to repair it myself was all that happened, no bad feedback (would have been if they didn't answer) , no smearing , no nothing. Rifles should be function tested before shipment but if you want new, buy new. If buying used, ask for pictures of everything if you are nitpicky. I send 15 pics everytime I sell a rifle, I give a phone call, and a full description.

Reactions: Scotay42
The seller should disclose any known defects in the used air rifle. I find it interesting that the majority commenters think otherwise. With some saying, that getting a defective product comes with the risk of buying used, at a discount. Yet, at the same time -- these members --disagree with disclosing the seller's identity, for risk of "smearing" the seller's name. I find that to be contradictory. If non-disclosure of defects in used products is acceptable, why is it a "smear" to disclose the seller?
Nevertheless, I find the comments to be very interesting and useful...I know who not to buy used items from based on the opinions here.😉
BTW: I've purchased maybe 40 PCPs, and never has any of them arrived with leaks.

I know you're response was not directed at me, but I do want to respond to you.

I have to assume that a used airgun is a safe queen. This means it may hold air, but the seals maybe weak and give out sooner than later. It is why I factor in a professional tune in the asking price.

I agree that Talon Tunes is not being entirely fair. Arguing that the gun changed hands during the warranty period so they can get out of the warranty is legal but not the most reputable. Doesn't make me want to do business with them. $175 to replace the breach seal also seems like too much suggesting maybe something more complicated is wrong with the gun.

I think the seller is being fair and the buyer kind of is not but that could be based upon a misunderstanding of what really happened. If the Seller was truly unaware and if it is something simple like the breach seal the buyer could have fixed in less time than mailing the rifle in for repair and for a lot less cost then they buyer choose to make a little bit bad situation a lot more costly. Seller offering to split it is more than fair. If the repair is really more complicated and not something an average buyer would attempt then I think the buyer was reasonable in sending it in. I still think splitting the cost is fair, however.
Yes, if the issue was the beech seal, then $175 is an outrageous price. Perhaps the OP can clarify that point.

I still think it is possible that the seller did not know there was an issue.

I also think that expressing the option that buy used has risks, should not indicate that person is some one bad, or that you shouldn’t buy from them.

And from a vendor point of view, if someone calls you and says it does “This,” it is difficult for the vendor to to ID the problem and give a quote.
In this case it sounds like he through a number out there that would cover him if the repair was much more involved than a simple breech o-ring.

AOA offers a lifetime warranty, to the original owner. I do not understand the thought that the vendor was trying to get out of warranty, unless of course it was advertised that warranty was transferrable. His obligation is and was to the original owner.

Too many want to bash and smear at the first hint o trouble.

I do give the op credit for asking for other’s opinions before smearing.

Last edited:
For me it isn’t at all about you or seller being right or wrong but now you must absolutely be more specific about the exact work that was done. I can say for sure if it was just a breech seal it wasn’t you or the seller that got smeared and bashed here. Lmao.

If you think you took it over a barrel here is my experience. I received a gun with a stock that was snapped in two. Not a mark on the packaging anywhere. The gauge on the gun also didn’t work. Now as far as the gauge I knowingly bought it with the plastic cover missing. In reality it could have been functional and became easily damaged as it had no plastic cover to protect it. On me. The stock, who knows. The seller certainly wasn’t stepping up to offer anything nor did ups do anything as there wasn’t a bit a visible damage to the package. ??? It is possible the box could have been dropped straight down and somehow not crushed it. I’m just not going to accuse someone of something I’m not sure about. So I ate a 110 dollar repair bill and shipping both ways of the stock. Also a 50 dollar wika gauge. I decided to leave no feedback. Is what it is. Would I buy from that person again? Not a chance.

Last edited:
Having one's reputation "besmirched" here when it's UNWARRANTED is not a great or KIND thing. Our word (& reputation) is really the ONLY thing that we have to represent ourselves here. IMHO the seller went above & beyond to be equitable to make it right. That "puff of air" usually indicates a breech seal, a $.50 part, at most (if bought in quantity). I've had my rep bashed here years ago over a $10 fill whip fitting. I sold it as I received it new but a fitting was faulty (I sent two to make it right) but the guy bashed me before even contacting me to advise me of problem & then physically threatened me (over a $10 transaction!!!). If you had expectations that weren't met YOU have responsibility for THAT but IMHO the seller MORE than lived up to his. You must have had SOME level of awareness that buying used has its caveats.

Any airgun can be perfectly healthy for a minute or decades, and develop any number of problems or issues with no warning and for no reason. Enduring a cross-country trip while suffering abuse by several baggage-handlng apes is reason aplenty for what you experienced.

Having bought, sold, and traded several hundred airguns (and firearms) over the last half-century, I can assure you that no warranty offered or discussed = no warranty. To think otherwise is unrealistic. The seller is going beyond his responsibility with his offer; and certainly if the gun wasn't experiencing blow-by with him.

Often when I'm selling used anything I state, "No problems or issues of any kind, functional or cosmetic." THAT is a guarantee... that I consider VALUABLE.

On the flip side, when buying I often ask, "Does it have any problems or issues of any kind, functional or cosmetic that we haven't discussed?". Apparently you didn't do that. Perhaps you should consider doing so.

And perhaps there is value in paying more for an item carrying a guarantee like, "No problems or issues of any kind, functional or cosmetic."

BTW, I'll be selling several nice airguns on the AGN classifieds in the coming months.;)

One hundred and seventy five dollars to keep air from blowing back in your face?
Yeah.
With most normal functioning PCPs the air should go in the opposite direction. You know, toward the muzzle of the barrel.😂
However, with my Alpha Wolf, I can feel a slight puff of air from where the shroud meets the action with every shot. It's designed that way.

I like how the thread has seemingly just been abandoned. Again I wonder what was actually done to it as I tend to vote for the option that doesn’t exist (you got totally screwed on the repair) but don’t know the full details. I mean a complete reseal on an fx streamline was like 125 dollars if memory serves me.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
"I know who not to buy used items from based on the opinions here."

Considering your opinion represents a six to one minority of the airgunners contributing their experienced opinions (that the OP solicited), better yet...

We now know who not to sell used items to based on YOUR opinion here!😲

Best reply yet.

There is to much we don't know.

People need to remember that you are buying a used gun, and that there may be things that are unknown wrong with the gun. Shipping can cause issues with the gun as well. Up here it is starting to get cold, so when I get things from people down south I always look at the rings to make sure they are still good. Because going from warmer temps to temps well below freezing will cause havoc on seals. Now if one of them breaks during a shipment is that the issue of the sellers and a reason for a refund??? Nope.

The seller already showed that he was a good guy by talking to you on the phone, gave you his personal number. He then agreed to PAY YOU $90 to help get the rifle fixed. You didn't say what Tony did to the rifle to get it fixed. Did he have to tear down the entire rifle to check everything over, at your request? Tony has always been a standup guy and always looks out for his customers, he has done this for YEARS!

What rifle did you buy and how old was it?

Again there are far to many questions that need to be answered before anyone can offer any real solutions.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Lots of good comments here.

I recently purchased a used gun here and it arrived exactly as described…except that it was missing a $125 internal upgrade that it was described as having. I’ll confess I was pissed at first but after communicating with the seller decided to let it go. According to him, the previous seller had sold it to him as having said upgrade…Personally, I think any substantial upgrades should be confirmed before selling, but hey…it is what is.

I refuse to assume that others always have bad intentions but unfortunately in the world we live in that does mean getting burned occasionally. If we can’t live by some kind of honor system we’ve got nothing.

"I know who not to buy used items from based on the opinions here."

Considering your opinion represents a six to one minority of the airgunners contributing their experienced opinions (that the OP solicited), better yet...

We now know who not to sell used items to based on YOUR opinion here!😲
"The seller should disclose any known defects in the used air rifle. I find it interesting that the majority commenters think otherwise."

So you disagree with my expectation that a seller/forum member should be upfront about known issues with any item he puts up for sale on this forum?
And, since I have that expectation, you will deny me the privilege of purchasing any of your used ...uhh ...stuff. Oh me. What am I to do? How will I go on?

Please reconsider and allow me to purchase your used...stuff. Please!

My two cents.

Used guns come with risks, fortunately the bad ones are less frequent.
Tony should make public his stance on warranties, i.e... 'Non transferable Warranty', but that might lose some business. He makes good guns but he can be rough to deal with.
Here's his pretty strict return policy as an example.

The seller did good offering to help when the high cost was actually caused by the buyer by not looking into the problem first.

The gun issue needed to be brought to the forum for help prior to shipping etc.... It is possible the repair could have been cheap and easy, either way valuable knowledge would have been obtained on airgun repair and possibly prevented future repair cost with a diy education.

I see this as a good lesson for the buyer about airguns, they Never stop costing us money in one way or another and buying higher priced guns doesn't equate to lower maintenance costs.