Am I correct?

Who is right?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I bought a used airgun and after a phone call I determiined the guy was a good egg. I paid and he shipped immediately. I got the gun and it looked perfect as advertised. Then I shot it. The gun blew air into my face every time I shot it. I contacted the seller who had NO knowledge of this problem. So evidently the seal failed while in shipment to me. I sent it off for repairs and hoped it would be warranted as the gun was less than a year old. Tony at Talon Tunes would not warrant the work as I was not the original buyer. So I am out at least $28 for original shipping $175 for repairs and unknown return shipping, call it another $28. I contacted the seller who agreed to reimburse me $90 for my added expense. I say he should pay the whole bill. I am not going to say anything further to the seller as he has shown his true colors. If I am right according to any comments I will give out his name. If I am wrong, I won't publish it and you all can go without warning and maybe buy from him. Before you wags write that I should have fixed it myself, I submit that there should have been nothing to fix. How can you not know there is an air leak when it hits you in the face? I am getting gun shy as this is my second time at getting bad product. On the bright side, I may have saved someone else! LOL I am laughing to keep from crying!

Dealing on the classifieds is tough now, everyone is a collector, nobody wants rifles used for their intended field purpose, and if it doesn't show up new theres hell to pay. I do think that splitting the repair is 100% fair and I am not calling you a liar but how does he know that it happened before you got it and not after you played with it?

I bought a used airgun and after a phone call I determiined the guy was a good egg. I paid and he shipped immediately. I got the gun and it looked perfect as advertised. Then I shot it. The gun blew air into my face every time I shot it. I contacted the seller who had NO knowledge of this problem. So evidently the seal failed while in shipment to me. I sent it off for repairs and hoped it would be warranted as the gun was less than a year old. Tony at Talon Tunes would not warrant the work as I was not the original buyer. So I am out at least $28 for original shipping $175 for repairs and unknown return shipping, call it another $28. I contacted the seller who agreed to reimburse me $90 for my added expense. I say he should pay the whole bill. I am not going to say anything further to the seller as he has shown his true colors. If I am right according to any comments I will give out his name. If I am wrong, I won't publish it and you all can go without warning and maybe buy from him. Before you wags write that I should have fixed it myself, I submit that there should have been nothing to fix. How can you not know there is an air leak when it hits you in the face? I am getting gun shy as this is my second time at getting bad product. On the bright side, I may have saved someone else! LOL I am laughing to keep from crying!
Sometimes the shipping can damage o rings and what not. Can’t really predict that. Anyway was it an FX gun?

What type of gun and was it just a missing breech o-ring or something like that? Honestly, we cannot possibly have enough facts to competently select any of the answers you have above in your poll.

So including the costs of shipping and repairs, was the total price you paid worth it for the product you received or is it too early to tell yet because you haven't been able to shoot it?

What if the seller didn’t notice or thought it was normal?

You bought a used gun in order to save $$$
I did the same this year, twice. I accepted the risk and was prepared to fix it my self if need be.
I understood the risk and accepted it in order to save money.

Did you check that the warranty, either factory or from the dealer, would carry over to a second owner?

I understand your disappointment, but I feel the seller treated you fairly.

You can publish the sellers identity if you like, but you wouldn’t be “Saving” anyone.

Used is as is. That is the risk which you accepted by trying to save money.

I won't offer an opinion on the best resolution to the situation, but I'm impressed at the course it has taken. The problem sounds very clearly to be a blown breech seal. If bought properly, the cost is a few cents, and takes about 5 minutes to fix. In the PCP world, it's about the easiest of all potential problems to fix. It's possible that the seller was unaware, although it does test credibility. It just seems to me to be a battle not worth fighting.

The seller met you half way on a repair he states he didn't know was needed. You pre determined he was a good egg from a phone call. Could be just a good bullchitter too, but he did meet you half way on the repair. I've been less fortunate and been told to go F myself in these situations. You assume all risks when buying anything used.

You have a moral dilemma now. You could go ahead and smear this person's name on here and possibly ruin their chances of selling again, or you could accept what it is and move on. If the guy would've completely burned you, then maybe make mention of it. I think if the seller intended on screwing you, he wouldn't have answered you or paid squat on the repair and told you to go F yourself. Been there done that.

The reality of buying used is that there is either a problem or a pending problem because air guns are prone to things wearing out.
In this sport fixing it yourself seems the rule rather than the exception and the integrity of any repair is up for debate.
When buying used you assume the risk that goes with a used product.
I can understand your disappointment but I think the seller is being fair with their offer to reimburse 50% of your expense.

Someone that agrees to pay half the repair cost is unlikely to have wanted to screw you in the first place. It sucks that this happened but nothing is immune from breaking randomly. There are countless stories of guys buying NEW rifles and having leaks from the start. You took a chance that you could save money on a used rifle, but the savings isn’t free - it’s the trade-off taking that chance that the dealer won’t come around and fix the problem free of charge. Sometimes you get a free lunch and sometimes you don’t…

-Marty

I agree that Talon Tunes is not being entirely fair. Arguing that the gun changed hands during the warranty period so they can get out of the warranty is legal but not the most reputable. Doesn't make me want to do business with them. $175 to replace the breach seal also seems like too much suggesting maybe something more complicated is wrong with the gun.

I think the seller is being fair and the buyer kind of is not but that could be based upon a misunderstanding of what really happened. If the Seller was truly unaware and if it is something simple like the breach seal the buyer could have fixed in less time than mailing the rifle in for repair and for a lot less cost then they buyer choose to make a little bit bad situation a lot more costly. Seller offering to split it is more than fair. If the repair is really more complicated and not something an average buyer would attempt then I think the buyer was reasonable in sending it in. I still think splitting the cost is fair, however.

There will be no "smearing" of anyone's name in this public thread. Should you decide to leave feedback on a transaction, it should be done using the ADD FEEDBACK button within the individuals profile. The FEEDBACK STATS section is where all member feedback is recorded, sorted, and stored.

-Michael

The seller should disclose any known defects in the used air rifle. I find it interesting that the majority commenters think otherwise. With some saying, that getting a defective product comes with the risk of buying used, at a discount. Yet, at the same time -- these members --disagree with disclosing the seller's identity, for risk of "smearing" the seller's name. I find that to be contradictory. If non-disclosure of defects in used products is acceptable, why is it a "smear" to disclose the seller?
Nevertheless, I find the comments to be very interesting and useful...I know who not to buy used items from based on the opinions here.😉
BTW: I've purchased maybe 40 PCPs, and never has any of them arrived with leaks.