Am I Chasing The Impossible? A True Return To Zero QD Mount?

I went hunting the other day, and I saw the perfect squirrel around 75 yards away, so I thought this would be a no brainer shot with my FX Maverick VP .30cal and my ATN X-Sight 5 5-25x LRF Scope. My groups with the FX Hybrid slugs at 100 yards are just over an inch, so I was not too concerned about my ability to take this shot, so I took my time and let the slug fly for a certain heart/lung shot that I'm so fond of.

To my surprise, I was not awarded with the thwack I've heard countless times before, and the squirrel seemed not the least bothered by my attempt to take his life in exchange for a place on my dinner table. So, now I'm second guessing myself. There is a slight breeze from east to west, so I decided to hold for wind 3 mil, and to my surprize and disgust, a brach just to the left of the squirrel's head exploded into splinters! That's it, I'm calling it for the day, as something is clearly wrong with my setup, but what was it?

• Did my new DonnyFL QD mount fail me in some way?
  • Did I accidentally bump the barrel while I was maneuvering through the woods?
  • Did my ATN Scope go belly up and not hold zero because of another bug I've uncovered?
20230908_105622.jpg

ATN X-Sight 5 on the Maverick, with the X-Sight 4 and THOR 4 scopes in the foreground, all wearing ATN QD mounts.

After loading up the video of the shot in my video editing software, I conformed the 120fps footage to 24fps, and then added additional slo-mo effects to get this shot as slow as possible. Again, I am completely dumbfounded! How is it possible that I'm so far off on the horizontal (just under 5 inches by the looks of it), but my Ballistic Calculator has got the much harder horizontal axis exactly where it should be?

And then it hit me like a ton of bricks! I was awakened a few weeks ago with something walking on my roof in the middle of the night. Thinking this was either the Delta Force rappleing in because the country needs my help, or it was another pesky raccoon! With the sure money on a raccoon, I swapped out my ATN X-Sight 5 scope for my THOR 4 thermal scope on my Maverick. With no sight of a trash panda, I swapped the X-Sight 5 back in, and went to bed.

I am now convinced that the ATN QD mounts claim for return to zero are exaggerated, or are they really? What is considered proper performance for a QD mount that is true return to zero rated?

Can I expect 1/4 MOA repeatability at 100 yards with one of these pricy return to zero QD mounts like the Scalarworks or LaRue mounts below? Has anyone been able to achieve the repeatability levels I'm after with a QD mounted scope?

Screenshot 2023-12-29 024222.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-29 024243.jpg

Or am I chasing a unicorn, and the only way to repeatably hit a 50 cent piece at 100 yards after detaching and reattaching my scopes with QD mounts is to do a zero afterwards?

Thanks so much for your time and input!!!

I have used the LaRue mount you show above with very good results on my Thomas FT rifle. I have removed and remounted the scope over 10 times with no change in zero. I tried cheaper models before using the LaRue mount and found I always needed to rezero the scope at least a few clicks; sometimes a lot of clicks.

The trick to making it work in my opinion is having a high quality base with precise machining, following the LaRue mount directions for adjusting the levers and ensuring both mounting bolts are reset to the previous tension per the markings on the bolt heads. Ever other screw/bolt on the mount/base must also be tight. I use a torque wrench, write down the settings and check them every few months to make sure nothing has changed over time.

I have not done the swap in the middle of the night with the type of optics you are using nor tried to hit a 50 cent piece at 100 yards after making the swap. I have done the swap right before a local field target match and cleared the course without making an adjustment to my zero. It works for me using my equipment.

Best of luck,

Dennis

I have several LaRue mounts which have always worked for me. I have the exact OBR mount that you posted mounted on my Leshiy 2 in .30cal. I'm a little shocked how much the price went up on that LaRue mount compared to when I bought mine. I switch between an Aimpoint T1 and my NF NX8 F1 2.5-20X50. The farthest I checked for return to Zero is 75 yards and it's dead-on. For return to zero, it's best to check on a windless day, make sure you have a solid barrel, good quality scope, no reg creep.

20211031_080723.jpg

even if i did achieve repeatability for a long range shot like that i doubt i would ever trust it ... you got multiple scopes dont mess with the setup once its dialed .. i could see maybe a case to try if i only had one and needed to switch it between platforms, ie: from the small cal rat setup to the big bore .. switch it, load the profile, and presto its close enough to rock n roll .. just popping it off to be cute, and plugging it back on and expecting to knock a mouse off a post at 100 i think is alittle overly optimistic ...

Reactions: Ezana4CE
a lot may depend on the rail you mount it on. can you wiggle the mount on the rail before it is tightened down?
the best rtz on a qd mount i have used is the bobro engineering mount.
i have one on my scar 20s (but a dual level model, not the one in the article linked below).
they have a patented design...

if you have a wiggle, it might help to push the mount forward and against the fixed side of the mount each time you mount it.

Last edited:
I dont see a problem with using a high quality qd mount as long as it gives you the proper height for your optic. I use qd mounts with my thermal scopes so I can swap back to a day optic quickly. I always check for repeatable return to zero and it's there.

I've also heard a good set of rings and a torque wrench will get you the same results but I can not confirm this.

Just remember not all rails are the same size so if you want to swap between different rails make sure they are the same spec. It could clamp down on 1 but be loose on another.

Good luck with your journey!

Reactions: Peskådot671
I have a couple of Leupold QD mounts set up on powder burners and have been using them both for years. I've tested them by removing and then reinstalling the scopes and they always returned to zero. These mounts are available in different heights.
On a side note I removed a scope from a springer an HW95 so I could strip the rifle down for maintenance. The scope mounts were Hawke mounts. Non QD. When the gun was put back together and the scope reattached to my surprise the zero was right on. The scope was an inexpensive model as well. I think that since the stop pin guaranteed the scope was put back in the exact same position probably helped.

I dont see a problem with using a high quality qd mount as long as it gives you the proper height for your optic. I use qd mounts with my thermal scopes so I can swap back to a day optic quickly. I always check for repeatable return to zero and it's there.

I've also heard a good set of rings and a torque wrench will get you the same results but I can not confirm this.

Just remember not all rails are the same size so if you want to swap between different rails make sure they are the same spec. It could clamp down on 1 but be loose on another.

Good luck with your journey!
I can confirm this to at least at 50-75 yards. I have a couple sets of American Rifle Company (ARC) M10 and newer M-BRACE 2 piece scope rings. I have one set mounted on my AAA Evol Mini 22 and one set on my Evol 30. I have removed both scopes on several occasions to remove the barrel and both have always returned to zero. I use a Fix-It-Stix torque wrench to install them and they have always worked well.

Reactions: Nealgl1985
@N2 Shooter Ed, I don't think the mount is the issue unless the issue persists. Why default to questioning the mount or the moderator? Have you not practiced shooting with this moderator and QD mount affixed? A squirrel is a small target to begin with, then we must factor in your shooting position, breathing, wind, distance, slug weight, slug shape, consistency of slug weights, etc. Now couple that with grouping to within less than an inch and having that amount of wiggle room on a good day. Are you averaging MOA and below regularly at 100 yards? 75 yards? If not, then relying upon how well you shoot on your best day(s) doesn't seem like a rational metric. I've missed that shot a lot closer than 75 yards while trying to film via Tactacam FTS and after reviewing the footage I determined that ultimately my setup was the blame because I rushed to get in the field and didn't set my rig up properly. I'm a bit flabbergasted by your ¼ MOA expectation. That seems unreasonable. No knock on you, I enjoy your videos and stories. I just think you're setting the bar too high. Take cues from the competition bench rest and field target shooters and their regimens in chasing and maintaining consistency. Do you do many of the things that they do in order to meet your standards and expectations while hunting? Breath. You're a decent shot considering the content that you post. You know you can shoot, but we are all going to miss at some point.

Can you post the video so that we can see the shot in slow motion? It may be easier to comment with more confidence if I could see some of what you saw in that situation. I also was thinking that the wind could have been blowing at a different speed or direction 75 yards away from you. When target shooting it isn't uncommon to see folks with a flag on their gun and another flag on or in proximity to their target for this very reason. Also, from which position did you take your shot from? What sort of shooting rest did you use?

Last edited: