• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Aluminum Shooting Bench

Looks pretty good.

Hello rob_g

Thank you, it sure feels good and is comfortable to rest my arm on. I will let it completely dry until tomorrow before I try shooting from it. I spray painted the bottom sides to add a bit of protection to the wood on both pieces. I believe it is weather proof now but I do not plan on leaving it outside in any bad weather.

I shot 5 squirrels from it yesterday so it has already earned it worth 👍

Be safe and have a great day,

ThomasT

If you decide another coat of paint is in order you might want to consider white or another light color that isn't going to get as hot in the sun. Your elbows might thank you.

Hey again rob_g

That is actually not paint, it is a rubber material like the spray in bedliner material. I'm not sure that paint would stick to it. I am using a soft towel under my elbow so no heat there. I do think that Duplicolor offers this in colors and will check the next time I am at the paint store.

Be safe and have a great day,

ThomasT

I built my portable bench last summer. Pressure treated 2x6 and probably 2 pounds of Kreg pocket screws! The top is two layers of PT 3/4" plywood. Light weight is not what I was going for...

WIN_20200501_18_09_28_Pro.1621422509.jpg

20200513_181333.1621422694.jpg

WIN_20200525_09_09_50_Pro.1621422811.jpg

That’s a sweet looking bench. Did you MIG or TIG weld it? As for optional top material you might look at Cedar boards. They are likely the lightest weight, easily located at a big box store, wood material and weather resistant boards. They could be tongue and grooved, biscuit joined, dowell Ed or edge butted to make a beautiful looking and stable top. Only down side is the wood is pretty soft and could get dented easily if that was a concern?

You might also,consider a drummer’s throne seat. It’s very comfortable and the threaded post is easily adjustable for different heights if you ever change your rifle rest set up height the seat is easily screwed to the right height very quickly.

That’s a sweet looking bench. Did you MIG or TIG weld it? As for optional top material you might look at Cedar boards. They are likely the lightest weight, easily located at a big box store, wood material and weather resistant boards. They could be tongue and grooved, biscuit joined, dowell Ed or edge butted to make a beautiful looking and stable top. Only down side is the wood is pretty soft and could get dented easily if that was a concern?

You might also,consider a drummer’s throne seat. It’s very comfortable and the threaded post is easily adjustable for different heights if you ever change your rifle rest set up height the seat is easily screwed to the right height very quickly.

Hello igolfat8,

Thank you, I MIG welded using .035 4043 wire. I am liking the top that I have on it now but at some point will replace it. That bed-liner stuff gives it a good feel and holds the gun rack and bags in place really well. I will have to look up drummer’s throne seat, I am not sure what they look like.

ThomasT

Hey again igolfat8

That would be so easy to incorporate into my setup. The current seat frame would have to be lowered to add a "post" that would have the "receiver" threads so the seat would screw right in. Adjustments made very simple, I like that! Thanks for this suggestion.

ThomasT