Aluminum airgun barrels

My thought process. 2024 T3 aluminum has a yield strength of 50,000 PSI and 41v50 used for machine gun barrels is only 55,100 PSI. The hardness is 75 Rockwell C BR120 RB 75 so should hold up to lead indefinitely. At less than 40% the weight of chromoly a hammer forged aluminum barrel can be much thicker thus reducing harmonics like a bull barrel and still be lighter than the factory steel barrel.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Hornclayton
thammer - you know if the QB78 Poppet is a direct fit for the Avenger and ATI Nova Liberty and Freedom and Seneca Aspen and which is better Delrin or Teflon poppet material?

QB78 valve stem is the same Diameter but a little too long. Uses what looks like the same soft material as the ATI/AV guns anyway so no improvement. 

Delrin is a little harder than teflon so should work a little better. 

Why not carbon wrapped stainless barrels? Already popular with centerfire and relatively easy to manufacture. My favorite centerfire rifles have them and HUGE weight savings with Sub MOA guaranty because it's so much more rigid.

A one piece aluminum blank is much easier to fit to the gun than multiple sleeves of CF being bonded to a liner. Centerfire rifles could never use aluminum as the bore where as with airguns it shouldn't be an issue. I have CF wrapped barrels now but I would much rather it be one piece.

Reactions: Hornclayton
OH a THAMMER smooth twist straw liner easier to make and CF the outside? From extremely affordable brake line material?

Just a wild haired idea thats all.

TJ enterprises barrels are made in Cincinnati where I live. Much easier to get Todd to Hammer Forge it for me than to try and make a smooth twist from brake liner that probably wouldn't have the correct dimensions. A solid one piece HF blank is probably going to be straighter than a thinner liner with multiple layers of CF bonded by hand and the cost of the larger aluminum blank should be less than buying a SS blank, CF sleeves and the bonding material (Glue) needed. 

How well does aluminum hold an edge? Rifling? I think aluminum absorbs and transmits heat faster than steel so would outside temp changes cause expansion/contraction more than steel.

Aluminum definitely has a high thermal expansion coefficient. Much higher than steel. Not sure what effect it will have but the added diameter will hopefully keep it unnoticed. Lead has one of the highest thermal expansion of all metals but cold pellets in the winter vs warm pellets in the summer don't seem to cause any ill effects. 

Yea, my experience with aluminum (auto and bike racing and Aerospace work), no current aluminum will stand up to the friction (pellet movement) for very long. It (look into "wear" properties of the various alum's.) will for...a while.

That said, give it a try. I'm always one who likes to experiment, no matter what ANYONE says, that something will or won't work.

Mike

Went thru this aluminum oxide thing many years ago when using aluminum to make gas checks for powder burner bullets. Still are. In my case it has been a non issue, but still needs to be discussed and evaluated.

Its totally different story to make gas checks for bullets than whole bore. In bore there will be oxide 100%sure and when you shoot ur bullets past that sanding paper..