• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Aluminum airgun barrels

thammer - you know if the QB78 Poppet is a direct fit for the Avenger and ATI Nova Liberty and Freedom and Seneca Aspen and which is better Delrin or Teflon poppet material?

QB78 valve stem is the same Diameter but a little too long. Uses what looks like the same soft material as the ATI/AV guns anyway so no improvement. 

Delrin is a little harder than teflon so should work a little better.

This is the reason for asking so all it needs is to shorten the stem?

It's to help Avenger Gen1 owners and Nova Liberty and Freedom and Seneca Aspen owners as well.

http://mountainaircustomairguns.com/faq/

Screenshot_2020-12-06-17-15-552.1607764084.png

2024 t3 might not be the best material but the concept I feel is solid. Upon further research I've found huge advancement in aluminum alloy for disc brakes. A company released a compound with high silicon carbide content to prevent oxidation and increase wear while still reducing weight. A similar material could still allow for a larger diameter and stiffer barrel without weight increase. 

I really dont see reason why to even play with idea of putting alu rifling. If you want to have stiff bullbarrel from alu instead of carbon or real steel why not just fit liner inside of that alu bar? Thats what liners are made for.

Easier to machine, lower cost, fewer components, lighter than steel and possibly an advancement in the sport. 

How well does aluminum hold an edge? Rifling? I think aluminum absorbs and transmits heat faster than steel so would outside temp changes cause expansion/contraction more than steel.

Aluminum definitely has a high thermal expansion coefficient. Much higher than steel. Not sure what effect it will have but the added diameter will hopefully keep it unnoticed. Lead has one of the highest thermal expansion of all metals but cold pellets in the winter vs warm pellets in the summer don't seem to cause any ill effects.

I think that thermal expansion may be an issue, but if the steel straw and the aluminim sleeve around it is not bonded, then they can expand separately without causing any bending while still maintaning the same rigidity. 

On the surface (to me) it seems like a good idea to use aluminum. One part I do not fully grasp, why is CF 9either in layers or in the right tichkness) not a good alternative? While using a steel liner core like FX.... Not weightwise, but rigiditywise is my question.

It's very rigid and works very well. I have an FX liner now that's sleeved in CF and held together with a heat fit brass thimble on both ends then held in tension with a 1" OD aluminum tube with 1/8" walls. It's a tank. I can lift my rifle from the crown end without flex. It was time consuming and expensive to make. If all those same benefits can be combined in to a single blank it would be a much lower cost option with added benefits like the ease of machining, increased rigidity, faster production and weight savings. 

Again it might not work. With today's technology and advancements in metallurgy a high wear resistant aluminum isn't out of possibility as it might have been even a decade ago. 

On the surface (to me) it seems like a good idea to use aluminum. One part I do not fully grasp, why is CF 9either in layers or in the right tichkness) not a good alternative? While using a steel liner core like FX.... Not weightwise, but rigiditywise is my question.

It's very rigid and works very well. I have an FX liner now that's sleeved in CF and held together with a heat fit brass thimble on both ends then held in tension with a 1" OD aluminum tube with 1/8" walls. It's a tank. I can lift my rifle from the crown end without flex. It was time consuming and expensive to make. If all those same benefits can be combined in to a single blank it would be a much lower cost option with added benefits like the ease of machining, increased rigidity, faster production and weight savings. 

Again it might not work. With today's technology and advancements in metallurgy a high wear resistant aluminum isn't out of possibility as it might have been even a decade ago.

I am not a machinist nor a metallurgist, but it's worth a try, in my opinion.

What about a honeycomb-style sleeve? 
Pike Arms Silver Honeycomb Blued Bull 10 22 Barrel.1607796958.png
Pike Arms Silver Honeycomb Blued Bull 10 22 Barrel 1.1607797083.png
rsw_600,h_600.1607797426.jpg

Why not carbon wrapped stainless barrels? Already popular with centerfire and relatively easy to manufacture. My favorite centerfire rifles have them and HUGE weight savings with Sub MOA guaranty because it's so much more rigid.

A one piece aluminum blank is much easier to fit to the gun than multiple sleeves of CF being bonded to a liner. Centerfire rifles could never use aluminum as the bore where as with airguns it shouldn't be an issue. I have CF wrapped barrels now but I would much rather it be one piece.

not sure what you meant by multiple pieces, all the quality center fire carbon barrels are single piece and 1/2 MOA accuracy. Just google carbon barrels and there are many mass produced and custom carbon barrels. All of them aren1 piece and gun specific. 

Why not carbon wrapped stainless barrels? Already popular with centerfire and relatively easy to manufacture. My favorite centerfire rifles have them and HUGE weight savings with Sub MOA guaranty because it's so much more rigid.

A one piece aluminum blank is much easier to fit to the gun than multiple sleeves of CF being bonded to a liner. Centerfire rifles could never use aluminum as the bore where as with airguns it shouldn't be an issue. I have CF wrapped barrels now but I would much rather it be one piece.

not sure what you meant by multiple pieces, all the quality center fire carbon barrels are single piece and 1/2 MOA accuracy. Just google carbon barrels and there are many mass produced and custom carbon barrels. All of them aren1 piece and gun specific.

You either have to start with a barrel blank you fit to the breech then turn down to slip a CF sleeve over. Most are 2-3mm wall at most so a second sleeve over that for a super rigid bull barrel or you have to make a thimble to fit the breech then a thin FX style liner with spacers and multiple sleeves of CF. All of which are time consuming and expensive. A single 1" OD aluminum blank hammer forged would likely only be a 20% over the cost of a standard diameter steel blank and only have to be turned down to fit the breech which is a lot easier to machine if it's an aluminum alloy vs steel. the Center Fire CF barrels I've seen all start at $6-800 and an all aluminum barrel 1" OD matched to the breech should be less than $300 if the bore will support the friction of a soft lead pellet. Lead is a Brinell hardness around 5 and the aluminum should be at 120+ Brinell hardness depending on final alloy chosen.

This is specifically to get a super rigid barrel to offset harmonics without spending hours and $500+ on a barrel. Already have CF sleeved steel liners with full tensioning systems that work very well but they were time consuming and expensive to MFG.

This is not intended to be a way to produce airgun barrels in mass production as most guns would not be able to accept a barrel with a diameter of 1". 

We don’t need 1 inch barrels, just look at the improvement of a 2mm thick carbon sleeve can do for the fx barrel. For such low power application I say 5mm thickness will already more than good enough. FX has the best start on everyone when it comes to carbon barrels, they already have the thin inner core and they can even make it thinner and send it off for carbon wrap so the carbon can be properly wrapped and cured. This will be night and day better than our Mickey Mouse epoxy glued on carbon sleeve. this will also be cheaper than the 1 inch firearm barrels, but still a good premium over current system for sure. 

This might be an interesting barrel material. Stiffer and absorbs vibrations better than aluminum

33% less weight that 6061 aluminum.

50% lighter than titanium

75% lighter than steel

20 times the shock absorption of AL

Allite ?

https://alliteinc.com/

https://youtu.be/zC-ZHPWrdjI

That looks awesome. They are only about a 40 minute drive away. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to see if the material can be Cold Hammer Forged.