• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Alternatives to jsb monster rd's ( .22 ) ?

As I'm sure most of you know - the subjected seem to be on the endangered species list. You ( or at least I ) can't find any anyplace. In one of Gregor's ( Kamenšek ) recent videos with him reviewing some gun, he was indicating frustration with the manufacturer (jsb) of altering / changing the design of the ammo anyway to something less performing.

I've been toying with getting an RTI .22 with that "LR" barrel that is specifically designed with that very specific bit of ammo in mind. If there ain't no ammo available for it though . . . {sigh}

H&N - you guys keep bangin' out the ammo in various sizes, calibers, weight, in both slugs and pellets -- are you listening? <hint, hint> :)

Is there something available that is close, or very similar to the RD's available from . . . . . anyone??

-=- jd -=-

I just sent the below - we shall see. I have communicated with them in the past and agreed - they are generally pretty good about responding. I'll let ya'll know if they feed me / us with a known good alternative.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Danvers <[email protected]>
1:47 PM (0 minutes ago)
to RTI

Hello . . . . 

I already own an RTI Prophet Performance model in .25 caliber. I'm thinking about purchasing a second one - the .22 with that custom LW barrel that you folks had designed. That barrel is reportedly almost *exclusively* for use with the JSB Monster RD's though . . . . and they seem to be VERY ( if not out & out impossible ) difficult to purchase now-a-days.

Is there a known, alternative pellet that works well with this barrel?

--
Thanks... 

-=- jd -=

Well ... that was unexpectedly quick. Mr. Rob just responded to my inquiry and indicated that in addition to the subjected RD's, that they also did quite a lot of testing with more typical jsb 16 and 18's and that they both work exceptionally well out of that barrel too. ( most likely at typical pellet speeds too ... )

He acknowledged what we all already know though - the RD's are exceptionally stable at very high speeds ( +1000 fps ) and that this barrel is NOT good with slugs. 

... which brings us full circle. Lots ( like LOTS ) of barrels are good with 16 and 18g jsb's. The point with this barrel is to be able to push a heavier pellet at a really fast speed, over longer distance, with both stability and a comparably flat trajectory. 

I hope that someone comes up with an RD-like 25.39g pellet that has similar ( or better? ) performance characteristics like the RD's.

Thanks for starting the subject. I too would like to see an alternative 25gr, long range pellet that works well in the wind. Always wonder why H&N didn't look at that market, as their 21gr just doesn't cut it for the 100 yard benchrest.

Does anyone know of a press you could take the JSB 25gr and repress it for greater consistency when shooting the 100 yard benchrest. I just find that no matter how much inspection, weighting, sizing methods I use, I still get 4-5 serious fliers out of every tin. Does anyone have a formula for a press that works in a particular barrel.

THE FX 25 GR ARE GREAT PELLETS PLUS THEY ARE 350CT TINS LITTLE MORE EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT PELLETS ARE VERY WELL MADE MY RTI COMPACT LOVES THEM, TESTED FEW AT 930 TODAY REALLY NICE COMPACT RTI ALSO WITH POWER PLENUM AT 160 ON THE REG TEMPS ARE 13 DEGREES HERE SO WAS A FAST TEST SURE IT WILL THROW THEM 960-970 EASY AT 180 REG PRESURE REALLY IMPRESSED WITH A 400MM POWERHOUSE 

DAYSTATE RANGEMASTER KING HAS THE 25.38GR ALSO 
THYF7505.1638914957.JPG

Reactions: Steveguy
@jdanvers

Thanks for the thread and following up, very cool.

This statement "( most likely at typical pellet speeds too … )" makes me wonder whether the barrel can also send the 16 or 18 grain efficiently at above 950ish.

I have a Taipan vl.25 for 25grain smack down power and will leave the RTI Compact .22 for 16 and 18gr.

@jdanvers

This statement "( most likely at typical pellet speeds too … )" makes me wonder whether the barrel can also send the 16 or 18 grain efficiently at above 950ish.

I have a Taipan vl.25 for 25grain smack down power and will leave the RTI Compact .22 for 16 and 18gr.

yes 18 gr at 940 are very stable 

@jdanvers

yes 18 gr at 940 are very stable

I don't keep a log book but SEEMED the RTI from AOA was spitting them 970 with a 150bar setting