Altaros slugs for 100 and beyond

Yeah, so still about twice as much as the Altaros and other “boutique” slugs like Griffin and AVS. Altaros aren’t the only “expensive” slugs, but for some unknown reason no one complains about all the other boutique slugs that are about the same price.

Cole is correct if you step down to smaller caliber lightweight slugs they are comparable to pellets in price. And out to 100 yards they are more than likely comparable to the high(er) BC slugs unless shooting in windy conditions.

I have been logging between 0.060 and 0.064 G1 BC with the .25 JSB Heavy MK2 - DS Rangemaster version.

AVS and Griffin and etc? aren't making anything (to my knowledge) with BCs as high as the Altaros.

So my comment that I've got some Altaros on hand, but I've been dragging my feet b/c they might be really good from my gun and then I'd want to buy more all relates back to the fact that they're simply offering something that no one else is, and the price matches that fact. I don't see any problem with them charging what they are. They're offering something that no one else is, so of course a a premium. It's just tough to get on board with paying that, when it's more than 3x what I'm accustomed to paying for airgun ammo.

I'm usually about 0.05BC from the .22/25.4, and 0.048 from the .20/15.89 and 0.09 from the .20/15.89. So, just like price, it's all relative. The small bore NSA slugs are nearly double the BC of the pellets I'm typically shooting (and even about 30% better than the .25/34gr pellets you cite), and that can sure be noticed at 100 yards. I imagine the even further jump in BC to what the Altaros slugs are doing is phenomenal to experience, assuming a guys barrel/gun likes em.

I justify the cost because they are exclusively used for competition. 5k rounds will last me a year of practice and matches.

I also like to hunt (pest) and to plink around, and I've got other guns and ammo for that (pellets for most, .30 cal slugs for yotes). I love the Altaros ammo for their purpose, and so I'll spend what it costs. It helps me be competitive and being able to concentrate on my own shooting, and not my equipment, is priceless.

• Love
Reactions: Centercut
@Franklink

AVS and Griffin and etc? aren't making anything (to my knowledge) with BCs as high as the Altaros.

So my comment that I've got some Altaros on hand, but I've been dragging my feet b/c they might be really good from my gun and then I'd want to buy more all relates back to the fact that they're simply offering something that no one else is, and the price matches that fact. I don't see any problem with them charging what they are. They're offering something that no one else is, so of course a a premium. It's just tough to get on board with paying that, when it's more than 3x what I'm accustomed to paying for airgun ammo.

I'm usually about 0.05BC from the .22/25.4, and 0.048 from the .20/15.89 and 0.09 from the .20/15.89. So, just like price, it's all relative. The small bore NSA slugs are nearly double the BC of the pellets I'm typically shooting (and even about 30% better than the .25/34gr pellets you cite), and that can sure be noticed at 100 yards. I imagine the even further jump in BC to what the Altaros slugs are doing is phenomenal to experience, assuming a guys barrel/gun likes em.

Totally agree. I think the same when I go to a match and shoot two rounds of N50 (about 200 rounds or $40) or shoot an NRL-22 match and burn 100 rounds ($20). An EFT match isn’t that bad as far as number of slugs, but I’ve been concentrating on pellets since all the big matches are pellets only.

That BC for the .20 caliber slugs is extremely good compared to other similarly sized slugs like the .22 Howlers which spec out at 0.074 G1. I had been shooting the 41 grain ZANs which do around 0.12 RA4 prior to shifting to the Altaros. Accurate and very good “conventional” performance. And 1/2 the price of the Altaros. But the Altaros in the Panthera 600mm Superior Heavy are just amazing. Obviously the shooter figures in there, look at Peykan setting the course record at UFT with standard Patriot 34 grain slugs.

I haven’t seen heavy .25 caliber slugs for 3 to 6 cents per shot. For comparison, the least expensive heavier(er) .25 slugs I’ve seen are the NSA 43.5 grain at about 11 cents per slug. The heavier ZANs like the 41 grain .25 slugs are slightly more.

Both of these are very good slugs, but neither are next generation with a BC better than .22 rimfire. The .22 Altaros King 40 grain and .25 ATP Smooth 49.5 grain are similar in price.

Not sure what high end .22 rimfire costs per shot?
The best cheapest slug I have found are the h&n heavies if you buy them in 4s (buy 3 get 1 free) and spend over $150 (free shipping) it comes out to .7 cents a slug for the 46 gr but still not nearly as good as the altaros

I haven’t seen heavy .25 caliber slugs for 3 to 6 cents per shot. For comparison, the least expensive heavier(er) .25 slugs I’ve seen are the NSA 43.5 grain at about 11 cents per slug. The heavier ZANs like the 41 grain .25 slugs are slightly more.

Both of these are very good slugs, but neither are next generation with a BC better than .22 rimfire. The .22 Altaros King 40 grain and .25 ATP Smooth 49.5 grain are similar in price.

Not sure what high end .22 rimfire costs per shot?
Good stuff is around $12.00 per 50

Here is some more groups testing at 100 yds in a 20 plus mph wind! The gun and setup is a fx impact m3 with the 800mm tensioned barrel and the altaros atp smooth 50gr at 886 fps (thanks centercut for the fps tip). Every group is 5 shot except for the first.
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-15 19_03_52.679620.png.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-15 18_58_58.983008.png.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-15 18_55_50.542148.png.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-15 18_52_22.622230.png.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-15 18_47_30.073420.png.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-15 18_45_04.813601.png.jpg

The 2 videos are just showing how wicked the wind was that day.

I also tried my fx panthera with the 60gr altaros queens at 900 fps when it was calm I was getting tiny ragged hole 5 shot groups at 55 yds but when the wind picked up I was holding groups of 3 inches so obviously the slugs weren't stable at that tune so I am tuning them back down to 850 and I will post my results then.

Here is some more groups testing at 100 yds in a 20 plus mph wind! The gun and setup is a fx impact m3 with the 800mm tensioned barrel and the altaros atp smooth 50gr at 886 fps (thanks centercut for the fps tip). Every group is 5 shot except for the first.View attachment 425672View attachment 425673View attachment 425674View attachment 425675View attachment 425676View attachment 425677
The 2 videos are just showing how wicked the wind was that day.

That is truly amazing to me, especially after seeing/hearing the wind in your video. I know my 25g MRD pellets can’t do this! At 100y! 😀 Ha ha…..but, seriously good groups. Just shows how the slugs do a great job with wind.

Reactions: Hard2hurt223
That is truly amazing to me, especially after seeing/hearing the wind in your video. I know my 25g MRD pellets can’t do this! At 100y! 😀 Ha ha…..but, seriously good groups. Just shows how the slugs do a great job with wind.
Yeah I keep getting amazed by these slugs now I just can't wait to see how the 60gr queens perform out of my panthera.

Yeah I keep getting amazed by these slugs now I just can't wait to see how the 60gr queens perform out of my panthera.
The people at Altaros told me that the 60g Queens in .25 caliber work best when using the 6.36 - .2504 version from the Superior Heavy liner with 1:18 twist. The 6.35 are slightly too loose for premium accuracy. So, if you shoot the Queens, use the 6.36mm not the 6.35mm. Both are available from Altaros. For other .25 caliber guns with LW barrel for instance, the 6.35mm are fine...

Reactions: Hard2hurt223
Wow those are some amazing groups man I hope altaros doesn't go anywhere anytime soon

By the way does anyone know of another place to buy altaros slugs in the USA besides sto and talon tunes because unfortunately they're both sold out of the 60 gr queens
Air Gun Oregon also stocks them.

The people at Altaros told me that the 60g Queens in .25 caliber work best when using the 6.36 - .2504 version from the Superior Heavy liner with 1:18 twist. The 6.35 are slightly too loose for premium accuracy. So, if you shoot the Queens, use the 6.36mm not the 6.35mm. Both are available from Altaros. For other .25 caliber guns with LW barrel for instance, the 6.35mm are fine...

Mike,
I have 30 packages of the ATP Queen 25 cal. 6.36 on the way if anyone wants to get in line for some, send and email; [email protected]

Altaros is so over sold right now it's crazy. They said they are allocating some of the air rifle CNCs into making slugs to try and catch up on orders. I have to get inline way early now.. I've got a complete inventory now in the store and with what's on the way, ready to ship even more and give out as prizes for the AOA & Air gun Oregon Extreme challenge first of May. I'll have them available on Thursday, for the practice days before the long range event on Sunday morning.

Mike,
I have 30 packages of the ATP Queen 25 cal. 6.36 on the way if anyone wants to get in line for some, send and email; [email protected]

Altaros is so over sold right now it's crazy. They said they are allocating some of the air rifle CNCs into making slugs to try and catch up on orders. I have to get inline way early now.. I've got a complete inventory now in the store and with what's on the way, ready to ship even more and give out as prizes for the AOA & Air gun Oregon Extreme challenge first of May. I'll have them available on Thursday, for the practice days before the long range event on Sunday morning.
Awesome. That’s great. I still have a butt load of them from last year.
When will the schedule be published?

Awesome. That’s great. I still have a butt load of them from last year.
When will the schedule be published?
That's what you get for winning so many events last year:) Let that be a lesson for you!

I'm working on the schedule now that almost all of the events are close to full and I can start working on the number of relays etc..

I'll post it when it's done.