Altaros slugs for 100 and beyond

Here's a few more groups from today fx panthera 700mm with the altaros queen 60gr these slugs are unbelievable View attachment 412973View attachment 412974

Re. FX Panthera shooting slugs…

There is a guy from Finland (Jari) that regularly participates in a GTA sponsored ‘for fun’ 100y monthly virtual Benchrest completion, shooting NUAH ( nothing under a hundred) targets. I was actively involved in the monthly competitions for about two years.

Pretty much everyone was shooting pellets and then Jari started putting up some consistently good 50/50 3X, 4X scores with Altaros slugs. It’s a monthly event and you can cherry pick and submit one NUAH card for each caliber rifle you own. The 10 ring is 2” and the X ring is one inch. Jari is only one of two shooters that ever posted a perfect 50/50, 5X NUAH target since the inception of NUAH. I managed a 50/50 - 4X only once with 25.39 JSB RDs.

I have come to the conclusion ( right or wrong ) that the heavier slugs 40-60g in .22, .25 and .30 caliber high end guns; all seem to be out-performing pellets at 100 yards, especially in windy conditions. Meaning - I am seeing more frequent MOA and some sub-MOA 100y groups with slugs vs. pellets. I know the Thomas .22 slug guns shooting 40g slugs are extremely accurate at 100 yards also, based on many posts here on AGN.

Here is the syntax for the GTA NUAH thread below, if interested.

Last edited:
Re. FX Panthera shooting slugs…

There is a guy from Finland (Jari) that regularly participates in a ‘for fun’ 100y monthly virtual Benchrest completion shooting NUAH ( nothing under a hundred) targets. I was actively involved in the monthly competitions for about two years.

Pretty much everyone was shooting pellets and then Jari started putting up some consistently good 50/50 3X, 4X scores with Altaros slugs. It’s a monthly event and you can cherry pick and submit one NUAH card for each caliber rifle you own. The 10 ring is 2” and the X ring is one inch. Jari is only one of two shooters that ever posted a perfect 50/50, 5X NUAH target since the inception of NUAH. I managed a 50/50 - 4X only once with 25.39 JSB RDs.

I have come to the conclusion ( right or wrong ) that the heavier slugs 40-60g in .22, .25 and .30 caliber high end guns; all seem to be out-performing pellets at 100 yards, especially in windy conditions. Meaning - I am seeing more frequent MOA and some sub-MOA 100y groups with slugs vs. pellets. I know the Thomas .22 slug guns shooting 40g slugs are extremely accurate at 100 yards also, based on many posts here on AGN.

Here is the syntax for the GTA NUAH thread below, if interested.

Seems pretty interesting I'll have to check it out. Thanks

Agree. I haven’t tried the 60 grain Queens yet, or the new STX Slug 1:16 twist liner, but reports from some say that the new Slug 1:16 is great with 49.5 grain Smooth.
And for those that still cling to the fallacy that Slugs can’t be as accurate as pellets at shorter ranges, I present:

Exhibit 1, 6 shots at 50 yards.

IMG_1776.jpeg

Exhibit 2: 6 shots at 100 yards

IMG_1777.jpeg

And exhibit 3, EBR card in swirly winds at 100 yards, scored as 235 ish

IMG_1778.jpeg

Agree. I haven’t tried the 60 grain Queens yet, or the new STX Slug 1:16 twist liner, but reports from some say that the new Slug 1:16 is great with 49.5 grain Smooth.
And for those that still cling to the fallacy that Slugs can’t be as accurate as pellets at shorter ranges, I present:

Exhibit 1, 6 shots at 50 yards.

View attachment 418642

Exhibit 2: 6 shots at 100 yards

View attachment 418644

And exhibit 3, EBR card in swirly winds at 100 yards, scored as 235 ish

View attachment 418645

Hey Mike

Are you sure that isn’t a high end rim fire .22LR making those nice tight groups? Boy, are those slugs accurate. I particularly like Exhibits 2 and 3 at 100y.

Tom

I've been extremely happy with the .22 40gr kings. I shoot them for NRL22 and at the Trenier 100yd benchrest competitions (also shoot pellets). We can shoot pellets or slugs there, and we're starting to break the groups apart for a bit more fairness, but we don't have quite enough people to have full divisions.

This is my winning card from the last match of the season, a 235 8X in significant swirly wind.

After the match we shot a few groups and I had a 1/2in 5 shot group, so yeah, they do well in the wind too. All shot out of my 600mm Panthera at about 915.
1000004945.jpg

I've got some Altaros slugs on hand to test.....but I'm dragging my feet to shoot them. The reason? I'm afraid they'll be good. Why? PRICE!!!!!

I shoot in voiume. Wanting to shoot more is how I arrived at airguns. The price per trigger pull on these dudes is 😳😳😳

Ha ha…

Cole, you may as well pull out your .22 LRs and ammo, probably a bit cheaper and groups or score will be much better at 100y.

Happy Holidays
🤪

This would be an amazing score in “no wind.”

I was looking at your sighters and the red #3’s (??); and I was curious as to where you were holding to hit so many 9’s and 10’s.
I never aim at the rings on sighters. Part is ability to see hits, and part is more places to shoot since we shoot each card up to 3 times. I think on that card I was shooting sighters at the 9 and 12 o'clock positions.

The crazy part is I don't recall holding a lot for wind. I've got a MIL scope on that gun, and it was maybe a few tenths? I might have been holding dead on for a good part of that card too. Those slugs are just so good in the wind.

I've got some Altaros slugs on hand to test.....but I'm dragging my feet to shoot them. The reason? I'm afraid they'll be good. Why? PRICE!!!!!

I shoot in voiume. Wanting to shoot more is how I arrived at airguns. The price per trigger pull on these dudes is 😳😳😳
I buy direct in bulk. 5000 rounds plus shipping came out to around 0.18 cents per round.

I never aim at the rings on sighters. Part is ability to see hits, and part is more places to shoot since we shoot each card up to 3 times. I think on that card I was shooting sighters at the 9 and 12 o'clock positions.

The crazy part is I don't recall holding a lot for wind. I've got a MIL scope on that gun, and it was maybe a few tenths? I might have been holding dead on for a good part of that card too. Those slugs are just so good in the wind.

I buy direct in bulk. 5000 rounds plus shipping came out to around 0.18 cents per round.
Thanks

Interesting strategy on sighters.

As an example, when I shoot at 100y for score, I zero as best I can with a given POA. Then I try and hit a ten on a sighter bull. It doesn’t do much good for me because then the record shot may be affected by wind, and then it’s all about reading wind and not where that previous sighter 10 hole went. I think I make a mistake and use my last sighter, when each bull presents a unique condition to adjust your hold.

Also, I would not have expected holding dead on center for that much wind. This says a lot for your 40g slugs because you were tight around the 9 and 10 ring for your card.

Always learning from others on strategies utilized for BR.

Reactions: zer0dev
Yeah it's not easy to get used to but they are well worth it
I haven’t seen heavy .25 caliber slugs for 3 to 6 cents per shot. For comparison, the least expensive heavier(er) .25 slugs I’ve seen are the NSA 43.5 grain at about 11 cents per slug. The heavier ZANs like the 41 grain .25 slugs are slightly more.

Both of these are very good slugs, but neither are next generation with a BC better than .22 rimfire. The .22 Altaros King 40 grain and .25 ATP Smooth 49.5 grain are similar in price.

Not sure what high end .22 rimfire costs per shot?

I haven’t seen heavy .25 caliber slugs for 3 to 6 cents per shot. For comparison, the least expensive heavier(er) .25 slugs I’ve seen are the NSA 43.5 grain at about 11 cents per slug. The heavier ZANs like the 41 grain .25 slugs are slightly more.

Both of these are very good slugs, but neither are next generation with a BC better than .22 rimfire. The .22 Altaros King 40 grain and .25 ATP Smooth 49.5 grain are similar in price.

Not sure what high end .22 rimfire costs per shot?

Mike,

High end rim fire costs about .40 per shot. I recently posted a comparison to pellets on another thread, highlighting the brands I use regularly. Lapua Long Range, Lapua Super Long Range, CenterX, Eley Match and Tenex, RWS 50 and RWS 100 - average price about $20 per box of 50 rounds.

The 3-6cents was based on what I shoot the most of for long range airguns, high BC pellets and high (for fpe) BC slugs.

.20/15.89 JSB
.22/25.4 JSB
.20/18.9 NSA

But I'm also pretty happy with airguns. If I wanted to shoot rimfire fpe levels, I would.

Altaros slugs are mighty expensive airgun ammo.

Yep, for .03 to .06 cents per pellet vs. paying .40 cents per RF match grade round, I will shoot pellets quite a bit more. Don’t have a slug gun yet, but slugs are expensive, to me anyway.

These hobbies are taking a bite in ‘our’ Social Security, even with the 2024 raise. 🙁🙁🙁

Reactions: Centercut
The NSA .20/18.9 slugs are pellet cheap.

300 for $16.99. Spend enough to get the free shipping ($150) and/or enough to use the 10% off ($300) and they get even cheaper.

The small caliber offerings from NSA are, again, pellet cheap. Just a matter of finding the magic barrel/slug combo.

And no, the BC of any of the NSA small-bore stuff iisn't even close to what the Altaros slugs are achieving, but BCs from small bore NSA slugs can be high enough to make pellets feel like a joke.

Mike,

High end rim fire costs about .40 per shot. I recently posted a comparison to pellets on another thread, highlighting the brands I use regularly. Lapua Long Range, Lapua Super Long Range, CenterX, Eley Match and Tenex, RWS 50 and RWS 100 - average price about $20 per box of 50 rounds.
Yeah, so still about twice as much as the Altaros and other “boutique” slugs like Griffin and AVS. Altaros aren’t the only “expensive” slugs, but for some unknown reason no one complains about all the other boutique slugs that are about the same price.

Cole is correct if you step down to smaller caliber lightweight slugs they are comparable to pellets in price. And out to 100 yards they are more than likely comparable to the high(er) BC slugs unless shooting in windy conditions.

I have been logging between 0.060 and 0.064 G1 BC with the .25 JSB Heavy MK2 - DS Rangemaster version.

Last edited:
Reactions: tommyb