Altaros slugs for 100 and beyond

I am going to start this off by saying that if you don't believe what I am posting than join the crowd because I don't either lol. It started off with following yet another rabbit hole with seeing different peoples experiences with altaros slugs and the general take on them was good so I decided to order some I ordered 2 packs In each weight ( 25cal ) so I got them and I didn't like the 50gr (because I wanted more power out of my fx panthera 700mm) and I wanted to shoot the 66gr but they didn't fit in my magazine so I ended up right in the middle at 60gr so i took them and velocity tuned them(850fps recommended by altaros) at home and got my es and sd really tight but i knew from experience tuning to many different slugs (including NSA H&N Patriot Javelins) that just getting your numbers tight doesn't mean that that you're going to get good groups. You have to harmonic tune, so I got out to shoot the first opportunity I had and of course it was raining foggy and some wind so I set and got sighted in at 50 yds and then shot a 3 shot group and it was one of the best 3 shot groups I had ever shot with slugs so I decided to move on out to 100 yds and I couldn't believe how good the 3shot group was especially considering the conditions
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-04 14_47_08.141659.png.jpg
so I shot a second group and this time I picked up the speed of my shooting because the wind started to pick up but I think it hurt me more than it helped me
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-04 14_48_48.502171.png.jpg
and for the final group I slowed down again and the results are nothing short of amazing
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-04 14_45_31.748217.png.jpg
I have spent so much time on tuning different slugs but these I spent almost no time at all and already they are shooting way better than I could've dreamed of shooting my other slugs
IMG_20231203_112939945.jpg
IMG_20231203_112555263.jpg
IMG_20231203_112544078.jpg
IMG_20231203_113251003.jpg
seeing the results of my gun my Dad wanted me to tune his fx impact m3 for the 50 gr slugs (850fps) and the next day we went out to our other range that has 300yds and we could not believe how good he was hittng all the way out at 200yds and 300yds here are some of the groups at 200 yds pretty windy conditions
IMG_20231204_113849108.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-04 14_33_57.911693.png.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-04 14_36_01.108803.png.jpg
and here are some at 300 yds pretty windy conditions
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-04 14_31_59.555770.png.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-04 14_29_29.829125.png.jpg
so here is the information as I said in the beginning if you don't believe any of this trust me I can't either these altaros are absolutely amazing!

I am going to start this off by saying that if you don't believe what I am posting than join the crowd. ....

I have spent so much time on tuning different slugs but these I spent almost no time at all and already they are shooting way better than I could've dreamed ..

..so here is the information as I said in the beginning if you don't believe any of this trust me I can't either these altaros are absolutely amazing!

Just smoke and mirrors. That's what it is...

Shhh! Now everybody will know how great they are! 😁

Allen

Very very impressive shooting and groups with both .25's! Nice pics too. Getting slugs to group like one wants is, well, nirvana! Have fun shooting the Alaros slugs...money well worth spent!
Thanks for the compliment I just can't believe how much time I've spent on other slugs and never got anywhere near this good of accuracy and I spent virtually no time on these altaros slugs and shooting insanely well

Thanks for the compliment I just can't believe how much time I've spent on other slugs and never got anywhere near this good of accuracy and I spent virtually no time on these altaros slugs and shooting insanely well
Like you, i have spent considerable time and money on getting slugs to shoot as accurately as pellets...it was a long arduous road but looking back well worth the effort! I can now shoot a pellet or slug, make a few turret clics and put the other one in the same hole, very satisfying!

Like you, i have spent considerable time and money on getting slugs to shoot as accurately as pellets...it was a long arduous road but looking back well worth the effort! I can now shoot a pellet or slug, make a few turret clics and put the other one in the same hole, very satisfying!
Yeah that is very satisfying because it is not an easy process and when you finally get it done than you can just sit back and enjoy.

Reactions: Ranchibi
IMHO, the Altaros slugs in .22 and .25 are “next generation” slugs. I shoot the .25 caliber 49.5 grain Smooth at 885 fps and they are accurate to 300 yards, I haven’t shot them any farther than that. The Altaros shoot best between 885 and 900 fps, a little faster is OK but at “regular” slug speeds (950 - 1050) you’ll be very disappointed.

And herein lies the rub. Everywhere you look guys are shooting FAST. And that speed affects most shooters PRIDE. “Look at me, I’m shooting 40 grain slugs at 1040 fps!!!” So as silly as it sounds, Altaros are not much more popular because of pride. Shooting at 850 - 900 fps makes them feel poorly about themselves. So they “try” the Altaros, but try them at 1000 fps, are disappointed, and quickly move on to old style slugs.

IMHO, the Altaros slugs in .22 and .25 are “next generation” slugs. I shoot the .25 caliber 49.5 grain Smooth at 885 fps and they are accurate to 300 yards, I haven’t shot them any farther than that. The Altaros shoot best between 885 and 900 fps, a little faster is OK but at “regular” slug speeds (950 - 1050) you’ll be very disappointed.

And herein lies the rub. Everywhere you look guys are shooting FAST. And that speed affects most shooters PRIDE. “Look at me, I’m shooting 40 grain slugs at 1040 fps!!!” So as silly as it sounds, Altaros are not much more popular because of pride. Shooting at 850 - 900 fps makes them feel poorly about themselves. So they “try” the Altaros, but try them at 1000 fps, are disappointed, and quickly move on to old style slugs.
Yeah it was your and another members posts that persuaded me to buy some and I couldn't be happier although I will have to try them at slightly higher speeds as you suggested but I think from this point on I'm not going to taint my gun by putting another slug in it lol well at least until the new wizz bang comes out.