Altaros or ShoeBox

OK...dropped off my nitrogen tank at the supplier yesterday. I now have to decide which way to go on a booster pump. My filling requirements and budget do not require or allow for a 2k to 3k compressor. So after watching the discussions here I have narrowed my choice to either an Alatros or ShoeBox booster pump. Both these units are very simple and seems to last years with the simple maintenance required. Experiences from my fellow pellet blasters is appreciated. BTW....I ditched the idea of a hand pump. At my advanced chronological age I don't need to work that hard. LOL

Definitely a Shoebox F10. U.S. made, $200 cheaper, simpler design and serviceability, and doesn't require as large a first stage compressor output to reach it's maximum fill potential. Pair it up with a CAT or other quiet first stage compressor and you're all set. I don't recommend a buzzy pancake style compressor that is loud when it cycles on. I had a Shoebox Max and a Shoebox F8. If you add a good rechargeable moisture separator between the first stage compressor and your Shoebox you don't need an expensive output filter which will add to the fill times. I recommend the Wilkerson X06-02-000 desiccant filter which is a perfect size match for a Shoebox. At the lower price $500 for the F10, it's a no brainer.

I have a Porter Cable pancake and it is loud as the F10 makes no noise at all.

I am thinking about a 20 yard long hose from the pancake to the F10.

Putting the pancake out by the back fence near the street.

If the pancake was not working right I would get the California compressor.

Note: When I bought the Porter Cable the California compressor was not available at Home Depot as it is now.

If you do get a shoebox, I would recommend this compressor as your first stage: California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S

Do you have this compressor with the F10? Does it work well? Reason I ask is because I'm thinking of replacing my loud cheapie with a CAT. Tom Kayne recommends 2-3cfm at 120 and this compressor only puts out 1.2cfm at 90psi. The next CAT compressor up is only like $30 more but the noise level of it increases from 56db to 65db.

I don't want to get a CAT and then have it over worked and crap out sooner.

Shoebox now ( nice the altaros came out eh?) is the less costly.

I purchased the Altaros as soon as it came out ( was the least costly ) outstanding unit. For me easier to work on than a shoebox tho I've never had to, and they have insanely excellent customer service. It also is adjustable and works with pretty much any compressor, may take longer but my $89.99 "hotdog" shop compressor runs it just fine and it is darn quite.

Get air, you will like it.

John

If you do get a shoebox, I would recommend this compressor as your first stage: California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S

Do you have this compressor with the F10? Does it work well? Reason I ask is because I'm thinking of replacing my loud cheapie with a CAT. Tom Kayne recommends 2-3cfm at 120 and this compressor only puts out 1.2cfm at 90psi. The next CAT compressor up is only like $30 more but the noise level of it increases from 56db to 65db.

I don't want to get a CAT and then have it over worked and crap out sooner.

I would recommend the California compressor over the pan cake compressors because with the California compressor the it starts at 90 psi as compared to 70 psi. It's very quiet and it's very fast going from 90 psi to 120 psi.

I really liked my Altaros, when I had it. But, you're going to want to give it more air flow than the minimum requirements. The more, the better. Otherwise, you'll be running your first stage at it's maximum capability every time you use it for this. What I liked about the Altaros over the shoebox was that it moved slowly and did not generate a lot of friction related heat while working. I've never owned a shoebox but, I've read about some of them needing extra fans to keep cool. What I don't like about both of those systems (after owning one) is that you have to have 2 machines running anytime you need to fill. Which doubles any chances of something breaking. You also need more hoses and fittings which can get a little messy if not done right. They're a nice stepping stone to a stand alone. 

Stand alone compressors are coming down in price. For a few hundred more, you might consider the new liquid cooled Omega Trailcharger that works off AC/DC power ~$800. Also, the Hatsan spark compressor was impressively small ~$550! Air Force had one as well. It's reportedly, ultra quiet but is a long, slow fill and maybe more suited to filling overnight ~$800.

Whichever route you take, make sure you include a desiccant system to keep the air going into your rifle/storage dry! 

Good luck!!

Tom

I really liked my Altaros, when I had it. But, you're going to want to give it more air flow than the minimum requirements. The more, the better. Otherwise, you'll be running your first stage at it's maximum capability every time you use it for this. What I liked about the Altaros over the shoebox was that it moved slowly and did not generate a lot of friction related heat while working. I've never owned a shoebox but, I've read about some of them needing extra fans to keep cool. What I don't like about both of those systems (after owning one) is that you have to have 2 machines running anytime you need to fill. Which doubles any chances of something breaking. You also need more hoses and fittings which can get a little messy if not done right. They're a nice stepping stone to a stand alone. 

Stand alone compressors are coming down in price. For a few hundred more, you might consider the new liquid cooled Omega Trailcharger that works off AC/DC power ~$800. Also, the Hatsan spark compressor was impressively small ~$550! Air Force had one as well. It's reportedly, ultra quiet but is a long, slow fill and maybe more suited to filling overnight ~$800.

Whichever route you take, make sure you include a desiccant system to keep the air going into your rifle/storage dry! 

Good luck!!

Tom

Tom,

Any more info on this new Omega? Don’t see anything online so I’m guessing this was a SHOT show release?

A great big Thank You to all of you for sharing your experiences ! Right now I am leaning towards the ShoeBox primarily for cost and it is made in the USA. I currently have two shop compressors and either will power the Box w/o a problem. Also I need reliability and this being my first compressed air experience I want it to be as trouble free as possible. Again thanks for sharing !!