Altaros new Silencer with Muzzle Brake

I am currently testing the .22 version. It is the quietest suppressor I have ever tested, not that I have any extensive suppressor collection but it is definitely quieter than the Trident Ramus that was my reference till now. It is relatively long but thin, and quite heavy mainly due to the muzzle break on the end that may or may not be necessary.
Being an audio engineer / musician / audiophile, I would also point out the fact that this suppressor produces the most Hollywood like sound I have experienced till now :) ; it has a slight short high pitch hiss and a very gentle, low amplitud and also very short thud... I tried it on most my guns although I could only dry fire the ones that are bigger caliber than .22. I will include it in my future videos although the sound it self (as it was pointed out already) is impossible to capture in a form that would bring a meaningful information to any viewer, in the end, everyone needs to try it to hear it for them self.

"In about 2-3 weeks we will also include a standard total length silencer + muzzle brake of size 190 mm / 7 1/2 inch"
"soon we will be able to purchase the classic normal length for silence, namely 7 1/2 inch long"
Are these 'shorter versions' available yet please? The stated time frame per the above was "2-3 weeks"....Status please.
Thanks Mike

Last edited:
Took out the shorter version today. Sound is much different than a Huggett. It has a higher pitch to the sound, but is not obnoxious or loud. It was pleasant enough, just different than what I'm used to hearing. I wasn't able to test it much further than about 20 shots, but seems very promising.
I will update when I have a better chance to take it for a longer run.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
my87csx4841
"Are these end user serviceable (can they be disassembled)?"

I am able to remove the suppressor end, bit not the muzzle/.5" threaded end. Tried with a rubber strap wrench, no dice. Tried with a pair of Channellock with the end covered in a thick leather belt, no dice. It's on there pretty tight. So, rather than mar it up, I quit.
I can remove the innards through the suppressor end, so not too bad. It would be much better if both sides were open enabled for better access.
mike

thank you all for the review.
caliber .30 -7.62 is currently black anodized. There will also be .35 (9mm). Estimate approx. 10 days.
We will also make the M14 thread, but we have a large range of products, a lot of demand and limited production capacity, so it takes time.

The short version is quite a bit louder than the long version, but still quite a bit quieter than the stock silencer without a muzzle brake

At the silencer, the front end (plug-muzzle brake) can be unscrewed and this will get inside. The rear end is firmly glued, because otherwise there is a risk that the end would remain on the barrel and the casing (tube) would loosen. For higher power +120J, this happened, for example, on the M24, where it would not be possible to unscrew the silencer from the barrel when it was firmly tightened and the entire system was undercooled without gluing one plug.
Now the important thing, in the entire time I've been using our silencer, I haven't had to disassemble a single one. There really isn't much to clean, the lead dust is deposited at such a slow rate that even after 20,000 shots I won't have anything to clean for it to matter. So it can be disassembled, everything is tight enough to make it work well, but you really won't need to disassemble the silencer during normal operation.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
Just to add: when I say undercooled so by that I mean lowering the temperature below - °C
This looks like a suppressor that shoots in 95% humidity, +8°C (46℉) ambient temperature at muzzle energy + 155J .25
IMG_20230324_172419.jpg

IMG_20230324_172411.jpg

Yes what you are looking at is a layer of ice. Still perfectly accurate shooting and noise suppression. So if you're worried that the suppressor might not hold up to your rifle or bad conditions, so don't worry.

Altaros!
Thank you for the added information and guidance in cleaning.
It would however, be great if the .5" threads were interchangeable so that other non .5" threads could adapt via buying the correct adapter (from anywhere).
As far as tightening is concerned, other moderators that I have used, do not have any issues with having both ends removable and are not glued in place.

my87csx4841
"Are these end user serviceable (can they be disassembled)?"

I am able to remove the suppressor end, bit not the muzzle/.5" threaded end. Tried with a rubber strap wrench, no dice. Tried with a pair of Channellock with the end covered in a thick leather belt, no dice. It's on there pretty tight. So, rather than mar it up, I quit.
I can remove the innards through the suppressor end, so not too bad. It would be much better if both sides were open enabled for better access.
mike
What is the reason to open up the moderator. What type of "servicing" is done by the end user? I'm still new to PCP so this doesn't make sense. Seems the designer and manufacturer would take care of everything.

I tried others and on the M24 when tightened correctly (otherwise there is a risk of loosening) the other silencers (other brands) loosened, so I also glued them. Not every airgun in .22 or .25 offers outputs above 120J
If you want to change the thread, it is better to make an adapter and screw the silencer onto it. Universal things are always worse than specific things.
Disassembling the silencer has no meaning, except if you just want to know how it is made inside. disassembling the silencer is necessary for firearms, not for airguns. Anyway, ours silencer is disassembled, just have to use the right procedure. The fact that everything is tight has its meaning for the function.

What is the reason to open up the moderator. What type of "servicing" is done by the end user? I'm still new to PCP so this doesn't make sense. Seems the designer and manufacturer would take care of everything.

Apparently, I am the minority. See here: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/what-about-cleaning-the-moderator.1268493/

I do have a bit of PTSD when it comes to pellet clipping. I open mine up from time to time to inspect and clean, especially when the weapon moderator combo is new (to each other).

The Alteros makes the rather loud .25 Caiman X a quiet backyard-friendly pup. This was exactly for what i was looking. The only thing I would change, for aesthetic purposes, is to make the end (that screws onto the 1/2x20 UNF thread) flat instead of conical, which would remove the gap between the moderator and the rifle's moderator. The accuracy and quietness is there however. Quality piece.

Caiman Alteros2 (2).jpg

Caiman X Alteros (2).jpg

Last edited: