Altaros Booster

Just got into PCP last fall, and started with the Hatsan Spark compressor. that has been a great little compressor for me. added one of those large gold multistage dryer. it fills a little slow if you are wanting to shoot the same gun alot. roughly 10 to 12 minutes from 110 to 300 bar on a uragan compact.

I bought a Joe Brancatto Great white tank new last month. I love the speed of filling. The only paintball shop charges me $12 to fill and he is only open limited hours Thursday-Saturday.

Would like the ability to fill my own tank and will probably get a couple more tanks of varying sizes. that's where having a compressor would be more beneficial than taking them all to the PB shop.

Been reading good things about these Altaros Boosters. I already have a nice dual stage large tank compressor in my workshop at my house. it does 16.1 scfm @ 90psi.

I want something reliable and not spend $3k+ on a compressor.

Is this the only place to order them from? looks like $100 shipping. so close to $700 total. Has anyone ordered one recently? How long was the ship time?

https://www.militaryairgun.com/compressors/48-altaros-compressor-booster-unit.html

Thanks

That's international ship time may be delayed a long time and personally I would wait till Covid19 is done and over with if ever IMHO.

You may just find one pop up on the classifieds do a good deal you never know.

People selling things they never imagined they would ever sell lately and it will only get worse IMHO.

The Altaros unit has some advantages but it does use a lot of air to drive it. It's not like a Shoebox that has a mechanical drive. I have a 10 gallon 6.5 CFM, FAD, home compressor and it takes about 14 hours to fill a 6.8-litre bottle from empty. I burnt out a similar-sized unit after only a few fills and top-ups. It also needed a new high-pressure piston seal after at about the same time that the first compressor failed so some maintenance may be required. You have a fairly big shop compressor, so that will speed it up quite a bit but you will have to have it set the pressure to average about 90-145 PSI to get the best out of it. I only use mine as a backup now. BTW. Mine took 7 weeks to get here (Australia) but I don't blame Altaros for the slow shipping. I think that they may have sorted that out now. Maybe that has something to do with the price hike. 

That seems like a long time. How long does it take to fill a bottle like mine from 3k to 4500? I thought I saw online that it only takes like 40 minutes. Even if it takes a couple hours to fill a tank I'm fine with that. I believe it has an auto shut off and I will have multiple tanks.

Your tank is 30% larger than mine and your compressor is a lot faster but I would guess that it would be at least a couple of hours and maybe up to 4-5 depending on the duty cycle that you set. They recommend 60 40 run-rest times.

https://www.altaros.cz/en/50-compressors

Both models has auto shut off and they are only as hard on compressors as you set them to be.

Set to 6min on and 2min off and the compressor will last forever.

I think that you have got that back to front. 6 min on 2 minutes off is 70%- 30% that will burn any compressor quicksmart. If you run it the other way 30%-70% it will make a long wait even longer. Altaros recommends 60%-40% on-off. That's OK for a high output compressor but it's as slow as a wet week for a handyman smaller job. I don't mind the long fill times but you can't just wander off and come back hours later to a full tank. If you have any sort of leak or blown O-ring you'll come back to an empty bottle. I know because it happened to me twice. I now use a check valve on the connection to the bottle with any compressor, just in case. 

https://www.altaros.cz/en/50-compressors

Both models has auto shut off and they are only as hard on compressors as you set them to be.

Set to 6min on and 2min off and the compressor will last forever.

I think that you have got that back to front. 6 min on 2 minutes off is 70%- 30% that will burn any compressor quicksmart. If you run it the other way 30%-70% it will make a long wait even longer. Altaros recommends 60%-40% on-off. That's OK for a high output compressor but it's as slow as a wet week for a handyman smaller job. I don't mind the long fill times but you can't just wander off and come back hours later to a full tank. If you have any sort of leak or blown O-ring you'll come back to an empty bottle. I know because it happened to me twice. I now use a check valve on the connection to the bottle with any compressor, just in case.

Well spank my butt and call me Eddie!

My current compressor has run several hundred hours with the Altaros tuned to 6 min on and 2 min off (it has cooling you know).

And no i do not babysit my fillings and have'nt had any blown O-rings or the like, am i doing anything wrong?

Do you think the Shoebox boys camp in the den while filling or do you think they wander around the house doing other stuff?

Let me ask you out right here: What is wrong with the notion that a filling takes time?

Why is the Shoebox taking hours to fill a bottle perfectly fine but if the Altaros uses the same time then it's the devils fun-toy?

@ Eddie.

I have an Altaros booster and I've given an honest assessment and pointed out a few of the cons of this type of pump. Just because you haven't had some sort of leak so far does not mean that it won't happen to you in future or to others that may be considering buying something like this. O-rings can and do fail. Bleed valves sometimes need retightening during a fill A shoebox booster does not use compressed air do drive its pistons and thus requires only a fraction of what these consume. The Shoebox is much faster than these as well. You have not stated what sort of drive unit you are using. If you have in fact run hundreds of hours at 70%-30% duty cycle, you must have an industrial quality compressor. A pancake type toy just won't cut it with one of these. I was using a 10 gallon 2.5 HP 180 LPM and it only lasted 2 complete fills and 4-5 top offs of my 6.8-litre bottle. The op has a pretty decent drive compressor so this type of booster may be of value to him. I was just pointing out the disadvantages to anybody else that may be considering one of these and has been swayed by one-sided views like yours.