Altaros booster pump worth it?

MACTEN

Nov 18, 2020
IA
So Nate just busted compressor #12 and this makes this topic even more interesting to me. Is the Altaros booster pump worth the money? I see they have 3 different versions..

One that uses a shop compressor.

One that uses a tank only..

And one that uses both named the hybrid.

I've only seen a few others talk about this particular booster pump, so I thought I'd see if anyone had a good or bad experience with one of these boosters?

I bought one 6 years ago and it has been great. If you have a decent size shop compressor it’s the way to go imho. Not the fastest, it moves slow and creates almost no heat. It will take my 45 minute scba from 3500 to 4500 in less than an hour.

I was actually looking at the hybrid version for field use.. I like the no heat thing. Did yours come in a plastic tool box?

I recently bought the version that uses shop compressor. It came in the metal box and it is very nicely put together. It has kicked my yong heng to backup duty and I am very happy with it. I would only say to make sure with that version that you get a beefy shop compressor and moisture traps if you want it to work faster. I have mine set to be a slower fill than most would, but being able to set it to run and not have to worry about it is very nice.

I have 2 small 90ci bottles and an 88 cf bottle that I fill and I will fill my 580cc 300 BAR tank on the gun with it and very happy.

I recently bought the version that uses shop compressor. It came in the metal box and it is very nicely put together. It has kicked my yong heng to backup duty and I am very happy with it. I would only say to make sure with that version that you get a beefy shop compressor and moisture traps if you want it to work faster. I have mine set to be a slower fill than most would, but being able to set it to run and not have to worry about it is very nice.

I have 2 small 90ci bottles and an 88 cf bottle that I fill and I will fill my 580cc 300 BAR tank on the gun with it and very happy.

I have a good shop compressor but won't be using it as I plan on using the booster in the field if I actually get one.

I know they do have a kit to convert the shop compressor style setup to bottle boosting as well. If you have seen some of my past posts, I am someone who tends to go with companies who support their products....and Altaros is top notch in that aspect. I had an issue with mine after the first fill and their support people responded immediately (which to be fair took some a day because of time zone differences) and was resolved pretty quick. It was just a fitting that was loose from shipping basically....but quick service response goes a loooong way with me.

I know they do have a kit to convert the shop compressor style setup to bottle boosting as well. If you have seen some of my past posts, I am someone who tends to go with companies who support their products....and Altaros is top notch in that aspect. I had an issue with mine after the first fill and their support people responded immediately (which to be fair took some a day because of time zone differences) and was resolved pretty quick. It was just a fitting that was loose from shipping basically....but quick service response goes a loooong way with me.

That's really good to know. Good thing it was just a fitting as well which happens to the best equipment out there.

We also purchased the original 6+ years.ago. "hotdog" walmart junk "150psi) 8galcompressor runs it fine at a 60/40 on off cycle. Never any issue and still has all included spare parts in bag. This is a company that has for years done possibly too much testing before any release. While I am not familiar with the booster model I have watched the Factory videos ( a good number). Things like a rebuild (seems you don't hear about them needing it though) are super simple.

Post up your current real world review if yo get one.

John

Design is pretty solid. Better engineering and fit/finish and assembly than any of the Chinese compressors that I've had. I have one in the plastic toolbox and work just fine. Backed me up while my Tuxing was out for repair. I also have one that was tortured and am in the process of rebuilding it, if I ever get to it. Both were purchased used. Based on testing and diagnosing the tortured one, getting it to run and then deciding to do a full rebuild, I think their boosters are top notch. You only need to know 2 things. Don't overtighten the fittings (they have instructions) and don't hook it up to a huge shop compressor to see how fast you can fill a 9L tank. If you let it run slow 1/2 hour for 500 psi in a 6.8 liter tank it should last forever without a rebuild. You can let it run faster, they have a chart. I hooked it up to a 15 HP shop compressor to see how fast I could get it to go and it started to generate heat, not much heat, it still works great. So I haven't figured out what happened to the one that I bought that was tortured by someone else. All that was wrong with it was a carboned up check valve. I got it to work but I wanted to see what's inside and KNOW that all the seals are new because it was abused, just didn't have time to put it back together again. 

I bought one not long ago and I use it with my 6.5 HP shop compressor (60 gallon tank}. Works great on filling my airgun but to fill a completely empty 45 minute SCBA tank was too time consuming. That's OK with me because I don't shoot thousands of pellets at a time or require a tank. For topping of a tank it would bork just fine. Quality is top notch and their service is great.

I have run my Altaros boosternow for a Year with the two Californiaairtools compressors, aka CAT compresser.

I monitor the CATS closely as they are oil free and thus will need replacing at some point. This week Amazon has sale on the model I use, 10020c, it was basically a 25% savings, so I bought one as a replacement for later.

I got to thinking, a dangerous thing with me, what if I tried 3 CATS with my Altaros booster? I reached out to Altaros and the reply was it would not damage the booster and it will run faster if tuned correctly for the additional CAT.

So beginning this next week, I will be running 3, 5.XX cfm CATS on my booster system.

Regards,

Roachcreek

I have run my Altaros boosternow for a Year with the two Californiaairtools compressors, aka CAT compresser.

I monitor the CATS closely as they are oil free and thus will need replacing at some point. This week Amazon has sale on the model I use, 10020c, it was basically a 25% savings, so I bought one as a replacement for later.

I got to thinking, a dangerous thing with me, what if I tried 3 CATS with my Altaros booster? I reached out to Altaros and the reply was it would not damage the booster and it will run faster if tuned correctly for the additional CAT.

So beginning this next week, I will be running 3, 5.XX cfm CATS on my booster system.

Regards,

Roachcreek

Sounds like you have a good setup there! I would be getting this strictly for the field and use my YH style compressor to fill the tank I have to attach to this booster.

There is really nothing to break on them. I have had excellent response from Altaros anytime I have a question, they will always email you back anytime you have a question and will walk you through any issue that may arise. It may be a little scary buying something over the internet that’s half way around the world, I had the same reservations, but for me personally, I have been 100% satisfied with mine.

As for being hard on compressors, I have a 22 year old Husky 6.5 hp, 60 gallon upright that I bought at Home Depot that is still going strong. I set my timer on my phone every time I fill my bottle just to check if it is taking longer indicating my compressor getting weaker and after using the booster for 6 years it still takes the same amount of time to fill my bottle.

I will say this, when I bought my compressor they were made entirely in the USA. If you look at the Husky’s now they are assembled in the USA. As we all know, it’s tough finding anything made here now.