Altaros booster Drive/supply compressors run ratio and water filters after 170 minutes-

I topped off both a 30 and 60 minute scba tanks from 4000 psi to 4500 psi this morning, humidity started at 25% and dropped to 15% during the run which lasted 170 minutes.

My oldest, 2-2021, California Airtools compressor, CAT #1 had a ratio of 70% rest and 30% run, that compressor is 30 months old and ran the system a few months solo, then later in tandom with compressor #2. Compressor #2 had a 80% rest and 20%run ratio. My newest CAT#3 had a ratio of 85%/15%. The CAT Compressors were slightly warm to the touch, maybe 80-85 degrees after refilling. I think the ratio of CAT#1 was influenced by wear, they are oilerless so they are disposable eventually. Having disclosed its’ age, and the fact that it took the brunt of the wear while I was eventually going to 3 CATs, it is exactly where it should be if new at 70/30.

My three dessicant water filters ended the 170 minute run with #1 saturated and the orange color was then purple, filter #2 had the upper half orange and the lower half purple, filter #3 was still bright orange and needless to say the Altaros filter inside the cabinet was also bright orange.

Regards,

Roachcreek

IMG_0084.jpeg
IMG_0127.jpeg

Reactions: maxtrouble
No, at least not due to heat or needing lubed.

The Altaros booster is air cooled, it uses a lot of air for this task, and remains cold to the touch during operation, running 3 CAT compressors lowers my run time for each one, so they stay pretty cool as far as compressors go, 85 degrees or so, the 12 inch fans work very well for this.170 minutes does not use up half of my desicant filters. This does not mean you could run it continuesly with my 4 desicant filters, the media would need to be replaced sometime.

If you had shop compressor that had a air dryer, I think it could run 24/7.

RC

Reactions: rodm1
It would all depend on the CFM output of that Sears compressor. Altaros lists the minimum and maximum CFmneeded on their website. Your Sears compressor gas to drive the booster pump, supply air to be compressed and supply air to cool the Booster. Your drive compressor needs to run on a 60/40 ratio to supply your air, meaning it rests 60% of the time to cool down. If your compressor output is too low, it has to run more and gets hotter.

I have found that the higher the CFU that I provide to my Altaros Booster, the less heat and resulting water I have to deal with and the faster the fill rate.

I started off using the 5 gallon HF compressor I used on my Shoebox, it had to run continuesly and produced a lot of water in my tank. I then bought the first of three CAT compressors and although 1 CAT would run the booster, that CAT was running hot and also produced too much water. I purchased a 2nd CAT and the two of them ran the system adequately. I purchased a 3rd CAT as a spare, but decided< per Altaros advice, to incorporate it into the system and then had a cool running air supply, around 85 degrees for my hottest running CAT, that produces far less moisture and a faster fill rate.

Each one of my CATs produce 5.3 CFM per their spec sheets, however I have been told that the CFM’s listed are probably less than what manufactures actually provide.

So to answer your question, based on my experience, you need to produce close to 8-10 CFM’s to have viable air supply, although many do get by with less, I found more is better.

RC

Last edited:
Reactions: rodm1