Altaros Booster/Compressor - Review Ongoing

This altaros booster setup is cheap I'm splitting off two compressors got her wide open 250 to 300 bar on a 6.8l tank in 90 min check it out. These are my Garbage compressors got 2 screws in another lab I'm setting it up for the next fill I'm gonna pusher as much as I can too see how much performance and durability is in the altaros

https://youtu.be/52MvQpZkXbU

Ok I finally ran down the tank and did a refill with the screw compressor in my opinion I don't need any thing more this compressor pushed the altaros above and beyond it maximum pressure capacity and the altaros just took it on the chin and kept pumping @2.9 MPA above its max setting enough of my ramblings check out the video

https://youtu.be/zc4gk1as2MA

Reviving an old thread...I took the plunge and bought the Altaros booster with the upgraded metal box. I took STO's advice, and added the in-line filter and desiccant ahead of the low pressure input fitting. 👍 I decided to plumb mine so I could remove the pre-filter/desiccant setup it and transport the whole assembly easier. I ran it for the first time today on a HF 4-gallon portable oil-lube compressor. It worked like a champ, and I was able to get tweak the duty cycle down to keep close to an 80/20 duty cycle (80 on, 20 off). I will try my next fill using my larger compressor that has a 25 gal tank, and runs up to 175psi. I will also either try some plastic automotive molding trim (for door edges), or one of those poster framing kits to protect the bottom of the metal protective container. I agree with STO...it just looks too nice to scratch up!

Thank you STO for the thorough review, and 2muchair4leyla for the "torture test" that proves the durability of this unit. Anyone else looking for a booster, that has a shop compressor, this might be worth looking into.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks mate! I should add mine is still chugging along happily. It is the lowest stress compressor I've ever worked with, it just kinda works and is nice and simple. I should also add my shop compressor is still running happily as well, although it could probably use an oil change at this point. 

And don't apologize for reviving an old thread. It is good to keep all the info in one place. Also I'd have never seen your post had you not put it in my old thread. So thanks. It makes me happy seeing my advice is helping people. :D 

I am surprised more people don't use this compressor with Nitrogen. Sure it is not fast but moisture is not a issue so no filters required. Just have to have adequate air to drive it.

If you're afraid of moisture from your own shop compressor then Altaros sells a conversion kit so the HP cylinder is fed from a bottle of your choise and that could be from the local diving shop!

That way you only fill with clean dry air and it's way cheaper than running Nitrogen.

I recieved my Altaros (De Luxe) booster today and tried it out right away.

I ran a 9liter bottle from 280bar to 330bar in under an hour and the Altaros never missed a beat.

This is the finest piece of equipment i have bought in the past 30+ years :)

Cant wait for my .50 Texan airhog to arrive so i can put the Altaros to work again and try the regulator i also bought to feed the gun.

My Yong Heng will live a sad life in the back of a cupboard from now on.

I ran it off a big shop compressor at work and tried to stop-start it with full pressure in the system and it never ever blinked at that.

I will buy a quiert home compressor and hook it up to a rather large storage tank and run the Altaros from there. I will fit a pressure switch to the tank to stop the Altaros from working when pressure drops and the compressor is running. That way i can keep pressure up with limited supply and not do a Chernobyl on the compressor.

This is a fine tool that i can highly recommend (no im not on the take from Altaros).

The top model in the blue steel box comes with a pressure switch that simply stops the booster at set pressure, so it's "fire and forget" technology and can run without supervision. Whats not to like about that?

Lots of great info here. Gonna have to take some time and check out all the videos. I have had mine for a while now. No complaints so far. Wish I had the “upscale version” but I got mine barely used from a member here at a good price. As I understand they are practically the same, so... Here’s my setup, it’s not perfect, but works for me: 

1584037538_3945906225e6a7ea2d02cf3.72252505.jpeg

Mine did not make it 2 years. Used it to fill 2 SCBA tanks every 2 weeks.

Totally blown? I have never had to re-build mine, but I understand it’s fairly easy to do. Mine came with a spare re-build kit (O-rings etc) Would cost me more to ship it back for repairs, unless a major malfunction. I do hope I’m up to the task when the time comes. 

Mine did not make it 2 years. Used it to fill 2 SCBA tanks every 2 weeks.

Totally blown? I have never had to re-build mine, but I understand it’s fairly easy to do. Mine came with a spare re-build kit (O-rings etc) Would cost me more to ship it back for repairs, unless a major malfunction. I do hope I’m up to the task when the time comes.

Mine stopped building pressure after relatively short use. I emailed them and explained the problem. They said it sounded like a worn high pressure piston seal. They sent me a couple of spares and some special lube. It was an easy fix. These days I prefer to use my YH because it's so much faster and easier to set up. I also burned out my 2.5 HP 10 gallon home compressor. These things use a lot of air to drive them and require an industrial quality compressor to reliably keep them fed. I think that a Shoebox is probably a better option but in my case the shipping to Australia would double its price.

Mine actually blew up during the warranty period and they refused to fix it. They told me that they were only going to warrant it for 12 months not 24 months since other manufacturers in the USA were only giving a 12 month warranty on their compressors and they were only legally bound to give the 24 month warranty in the EU. In hindsight over the years if I had it to do all over again I would have spent the extra money up front and bought a Bauer. In the long run I would have spent about the same and had a lot more reliable system that filled a lot faster and had dealer support in the USA. What others have said about the Altros being slow and hard on compressors is true. Look for a real compressor, you will be a lot happier in the long run.