Altaros Air Booster Is Up and Running

I got my Altaros in a few days ago and have been playing with it and setting up the air supply side. I still need to build a fold up shelf for the booster and something to hold the SCBA's up off the floor. I'll probably use a fire extinguisher bracket for that. It came in, well boxed and well padded but somehow the booster itself got a little loose in the carrying case and damaged the pressure shut off switch. I contacted Altaros and they immediately shipped the repair parts. What was broke didn't effect the compressors performance any so I was able to start playing. Fortunately my wife gave me a new shop compressor for Christmas so I was set there. We had some used drying towers at work so I cabbaged on to one of them (borrowed). I took the lid off and cleaned it out thoroughly and replaced the desiccant beads. Downstream of that I used a 3 phase filter off of Ebay.

After understanding more on how to set up the flow adjustment and not relying on my regulators with the help of Ondrej I finished topping off my 88cuft SCBA this morning. Starting pressure was 3950#, ending pressure was 4500#. Start time was 9:25AM and end time was 10:45AM. The inflow into the booster off of my compressor was 125-150# with a 60/40 run/idle time the first time I timed it and two consecutive 62/38's cycles. So far I'm thoroughly please with its performance and the great customer service from Altaros. Here's a couple of photos of my set up. Like I said I still need to do a couple of things to finish it up.
Jimmy

Nice Jimmy! :)
I'm glad you got it up and running and are happy with it. Is that the 30 gal with 5.3CFM@90? It should do nicely with such a large reservoir and high psi rating. 
I added a 5 gal portable air tank to my setup which ~doubled the capacity of my compressor. I would have gone with a larger 2 stage unit like yours if I had more space to work with. 
Tom

Hello,

Last week, I became the proud owner on an Altaros Booster. And I am extremely pleased with it!
Altaros' Customer Care/After Sales is also very pleasesant, direct and efficient.

Upon request they created an "alternative" set-up for only Euro 15,- extra. Let me explain...

As most PCP air rifle users, I like to keep my tanks topped up to 300 BARs (4500 psi). But after a while I always end up with a few airtanks with pressures of around 150 - 180 BARs. I asked if I could use the Altaros Booster to use this "leftover" air in certain tanks to increase pressure other tanks back to 300 BAR. Altaros did some expiriments and replied that with a simple rearrangement of some existing tubes and one extra tube, this could be done. The low pressure compressor is, in this constellation, only used to drive the Altaros Booster Unit. The air supplied comes from of a tank with medium pressure, externally regulated down to 80-90 BAR and inserted directly in the highpressure side of the Altaros Booster.

The efficiency is remarkable... Inevitable losses are only 10% to 15%!!! I was able to top up three smaller bottles back to 300 BARS, using the 190 BAR left in a large bottle. The pressure in this bottle is now lowered to 100 BARs, while all my other air reservoirs now back at 300 BARs.
The low pressure compressor does not need to be large and can even be relatively quiet.

I then rewired the Altaros Booster Unit to its original configuration and filled the large bottle back up from 100 to 300 BARs. This took a bit longer, given the fact that my low pressure compressor does not possesses a large capacity. But I got there in the end using the recommended 60/40 runtime of the LC.

Needless to say, I am extremely happy with the Altaros Booster Unit, the knowledge of the Altaros engineers, their superb service and can only highly recommend this product!

10 April, 2017, Utrecht, The Netherlands, Dr. J.E. Eikelaar

Thanks for sharing Hanzell. Some photos or a sketch would be nice so we can see how it was re-plumbed. So, do you now have two quick connects available to hook up low pressure to? One for the compressor and one for your regulated bottles?

I know that's kind of the way Mr.Hollowpoint runs his booster out in the field where a compressor is not an option. I have two steel 440cuft 4500# cylinders and that would be a great way to deplete them after they get down to 3000#'s. As heavy as they are and a hassle to load I'd at least get more use out of them before taking them in for a refill.
Thanks again
jk

I would also love some pictures. Been using this unit about 6 months now, excellent unit and Altros even emails from time to time! "just checking how it working". " We have a new lube for rebuild and will mail it to you free" , just out of the blue, great way to run a business.

I have vagely heard of One person separating the high & low side and filling with helium. Seems the elec controls need ?????

If you need help posting pics here you can send em to me and I'll put them up.

Thanks,

John

Thanks Gijs, It's a great set up for sure. I just get a kick out of listening to it run. I'm getting away from my two 60 minute, out of date tanks and going to start using my two newer 45min CF tanks solely. If nothing else It'll give me more opportunities to watch the little air machine do it's magic. Now if I can just figure out how to run the pressuring side off my big steel cylinders. I suppose I need to send Altaros a note for the skinny. Take care guys.
Jimmy

I have had my Altaros booster for a week now. I topped off my 88cf bottle from 3100psi to 4500psi in less than 3 hours. The first hour and a half was slower because I was still tuning the flow valve on the Altaros to match my compressor. Looks like we have similar results filling a 88cf tank. Around 700psi a hour. I am thrilled with the way the booster pump preforms and how quiet it operates.

Well, I had the first issue with mine this weekend. It just stopped building pressure. I sent an email to Altaros and they responded in a timely manner and they nailed the problem. Hopefully, this info will help some of you. The fitting on the high pressure side had come loose, it's the fitting that the white hose is connected to that runs over to the mid pressure side. I just snugged it up and all is well now.

a big thumbs up to Altaros, they are very helpful and are genuinely concerned about their customers.

These things are great! I'm loving mine.