• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Altaros 31gr Slugs...Video! 📸 Are they the best? (behind the scenes)

D

Deleted 45061

Okay guys...as promised here is a video on the Altaros slugs. I never white coat stuff so while we were shooting various airguns, pellets, and slugs, we decided to do a quick test of the 31gr Altaros slugs out of @intenseaty22 RTI Prophet (he did the shooting) with our friend Richard spotting. The distance was ~60 yards. We had on hand an @orion magazine and so loaded up back to back with JSB KnockOuts and Daystate Howlers the first round, and then the second round a different diameter Altaros, JSB KnockOut, and Zan. The results are real world ones. This Prophet had just used for EBR last month.

Screenshot 2022-11-18 at 10.20.22 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-11-18 at 10.20.11 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-11-18 at 10.20.38 AM.png

Our results are what they are. I have heard good things about their regulators from Richard (the spotter in the video).

What do you guys think? More tests needed? What has your experience been with Altaros?
IMG_20221117_181423~2.jpg
IMG_20221117_181420~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is the barrel I am running on it now, although I am not 100% sure about the twist rate. But it’s the LR Poly fo Sure.

I looked up Zwall's post here on AGN and this was the twist rate he mentioned in that time period but I don't know what year your gun is or if RTI has changed the twist rate for current versions.

This test of yours has no value if the barrel is not standard (1:17")
I personally find the following value in it: With that particular gun ( @rtiarms ) barrel, & tune I would feel confident in shooting a squirrel at minimum with one of the other slugs, but not with the Altaros. It means Nothing to me that they would make a pinhole with the aforementioned barrel/twist if I don’t own a gun with those specs. So, yeah, It indeed of Value to me.

Thanks for the video!

Igolf@8 tested several slugs in his LR barrel when I was looking at buying a P1. He only had one group that was acceptable due to the slow twist rate. I waited and bought a P2 with the 1/17 twist rate. I haven't had a chance to shoot slugs except for H&N 21gr .218's and they were capable of 1 hole groups at 25yds. Hopefully I'll be stretching it out farther in the coming weeks.

Almost a year ago an AGN member was nice enough to send me 40 of the Altaros 22 cal ATP smooth slugs which weigh 32.2 grains "according to my cheap E-scale", to try in my Thomas. I found out shortly after the slugs arrived that this barrel was a 30 twist rate so I didn't try them in it and set them aside.

It occurred to me yesterday I should try them in my Daystate Redwolf and when I saw this thread today I shot some of them to see what was up. I didn't have a scope on the Redwolf so I did a quick sight in at 20Y.

My Redwolf is stock just as it came from the factory and I put it on high power mode before I shot these groups at 60Y. I'm not sure how fast they were going, nor did I measure the diameter of the slugs. Just a quick unofficial look see was all.

I called my friend Bobby who knows a lot about this type of rifle and he said the twist rate for my gun, which is a 2021 version, should be a 16 twist.

I noticed that these slugs went into the chamber very easily with less resistance than the JSB 25.4gr RD's. I think if these were .001" larger diameter they would shoot better???

On the lower right part of the paper for a little comparison is 25.4gr RDM's, about 2 mags worth. Truthfully this RW hasn't been the best shooting rifle which might benefit from some tuning, or it could be my batch of pellets might not be a good one??? Nevertheless these groups aren't bad for 60Y in the winds I shot them in.

The ones labeled with "A" are the Altaros slugs.

20221118_155136.jpg