• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Alpha Wolf .22 probe

It is a pin probe in .22 cal

20240320_130355.jpg

I just purchased a .22 barrel kit for my Alpha Wolf so I could swap out the .177 barrel. The probe that came with the barrel kit is a pin probe. Is that the only type of probe that comes with a .22 Alpha/Delta Wolf or is there a pellet probe also, like my .177?
I called Daystate in the UK. The pin probe is used in the FAC models and not The SUB models.The other factory probe, which does not have a "pin" on it, Daystate says, pushes the pellet in straighter. But the pin probe design allow for slightly more power, that those across the pond want. Thats the .22 probe for a SUB model.

20240324_115433.jpg

Reactions: Marv
The Alpha wolf had a 1-30 twist barrel. It was designed to shoot pellets long distance at high speed. Jsb 18.1 @ 1000 fps. Jsb 25.4 rdn @ 970. A slug gun it is not. Good luck with slugs.
I haven't checked my Alpha' s twist rate, or even thought to check it, but you say 1 in 30 and it was designed to shoot 18.1 at 1000 & 25.39 @ 970 in .22. That's interesting, I haven't read of anything stating those numbers. It may be true, can I ask where that information comes from? I would be curious to know.

Reactions: Stone02
Try the AOA pre load 2218 for jsb 18.1.

View attachment 448611
I just talked to Tony at Daystate in Staffordshire. This is what he told me:
The barrel twist rate and design change with the new information they are using to tweek the barrels to shoot more accurately, pellets and or slugs. The barrels made let's say in 2019 are not the barrels installed now. The only way you can know what twist rate you have is to check it yourself. You can buy a Alpha 2 months ago and buy one now and it could have a different barrel, because of the new barrels that were made based on new information.The sub 12 barrels are generally 1 in 17 , those barrels shoot great to about 30ft.lbs. But where the problem comes up, is when you want the same accuracy and performance above that. The FAC barrel could be 1 in 30 choked or not choked depending on when it was bought and who manufactured the barrel. Nothing is in stone. They are continually testing and tweeking the barrels.
That's the information given to me by Toney at Daystate.
I asked him about the .22 ART barrel being designed to shoot the [email protected] the 25.39 @ 975fps.
He said the .22 ART barrel wasn't designed to shoot the 18.13 , it was designed to shoot the 25.39 and not at 975fps. Shooting a fps. that, that barrel shoots the 25.39 accurately.

Last edited:
The .30 barrels in DW AW and Ghost all are VERY good. The .25 and .22 seem to be more of a crap shoot….
Tony said that even though 2 barrels are identical, the barrels are made with European remanufactured steel, and the barrels my perform differently because of the steel used at the time THAT barrel was manufactured.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stone02
@Richieg
From your conversation with Tony did you get an idea of what the current design MV is using 0.22 MRD in the Alpha Wolf ?
It wasn't something in stone as each barrel COULD perform different than another one exactly the same and your barrel could be different than mine. Most say 925-975.