Alpha Filter

I've got a 1 year old Carette with the alpha filter and 13 hrs of run time on it. Does the filter element need to be changed at regular intervals or only when it shows signs of becoming "wet"? I've never opened the filter. I plan to do so but not sure what to look for (color change?). Anyone have any experience here? I'm sure Joe would tell me to get and install a fresh element just to be safe but I'd like to know what you think. Uj

That alpha filter top and bottom unscrew pretty easy. And you should be able to see the color strip on the filter body to check any moisture in the filter. However, you bleed and check the bleeding air when done filling. You can feel the moisture then a new filter is needed. Mine is over 1 year old and it looks new. I check and clean the filter body once in a while.

John,

I am very familiar with Carette compressors and filters such as your Alpha. You can run your compressor for 40 hours before having to change the filter. When you purge the Alpha bleed valve I doubt you are seeing any moisture vapor. Nearly all of the moisture is released by the water separator tower and auto moisture drain on the Carette. Set the auto moisture drain to come on for 1 second every 15 minutes. More often than 15 minutes and more than a second wastes compressed air and adds to your fill times. The Carette does a great job removing moisture before it reaches your Alpha. When you need to buy replacement filters, go to Filtertechs.com and save money. https://www.filtertechs.com/shop/index.php?cPath=96_20_130  I recommend the X156712 for $29. It is 100% desiccant. The Carette doesn't emit oil vapor like Tuxing, Hassan,and Air Venturi brands. You aren't breathing the air so save money and get more moisture filtration capacity with the X156712. Hope this helps.

Humdinger - is that filter you linked at Filtertechs literally a drop in replacement? If so, about how many hours of runtime does each filter get?

Yes, it is a drop in replacement. There is no universal answer for figuring run time hours. The filter cartridge life is determined by the fill speed of the compressor and how effective the compressor’s water separator removes moisture before it gets to the cartridge. Most Filtertech brand cartridges have a blue color strip that changes color to indicate the moisture level in the cartridge. In a Bauer or Coltri compressor a cartridge might last 50 hours. In a Yong Heng it might only last 10 hours.