Almost Stepped on Him

Yea not much survive a Mojave bite, Western diamond backs here in Tx,Az, NM, kill them all you want , You will not put a dent in the population of the snake, We got so many wild pigs in Texas, That the rattlers that don't sound off survive. So the pigs are making quite snakes , Think about it, Darwin in the works.
Mike
You're right there. A deputy in adalato ca got into his car and there was a Mojave in the car. It bit him and the deputy called it in. They reached him 30 minutes later and he was dead.

This one scared the snot out of me at the gun club last week.

IMG_2696.jpeg

Reactions: rappert
I, you, wouldn't post evidence of a crime online. Our eastern rattlesnakes are a federally protected species.
I can't find a citation. I'm thinking two things. First I think you could have worded that a lot better than you did and second I think you might be full of something brown and smelly. Give us a citation.

Last edited:
While the appearances are real close, if you look at the submitted photo the snake they displayed has a small head relative to it's neck, copperheads is more pronounced / wider. The coloration combo on the body seems to give it away. corn snakes have a black border on all the consistent back saddles it has, the copperhead, based on your wonderful submission of several varieties , shows a color directly bordering the main body color. Now corn snakes are generally more red in their color but they can have a more brownish appearance as well. I've kept many snakes for years including rat, corn, bull or gopher, pythons and boas. The lack of a "pit viper" shaped head and the black saddle border tells me it's a corn snake.

Be careful a snake can still bite you even if you cut off its head!

I was in South Dakota a few years ago, hunting prairie dogs with a group of friends, and we had a couple of encounters with rattlers.
I almost stepped on one, it rattled at me, and I let it have it with a 9 mm with snake shot.
I didn’t cut the head off, Cuz I didn’t know about that aspect of a rattlesnake. Later in the afternoon, when we stopped off for a cold one, the bartender told us next time that happens, cut the head off and put it down a prairie dog hole.
Grazing cattle or other animals might have contact with it, may have been injected

I can't find a citation. I'm thinking two things. First I think you could have worded that a lot better than you did and second I think you might be full of something brown and smelly. Give us a citation.
Just about every state rules and regulations book has a section that covers non-game animals and penalties for violations. Sometimes there is a section specifically for reptiles and the collecting of them. In general, all critters are protected from molestation and/or wanton destruction.

There have been a couple of studies about the rattlesnakes not giving warnings. They blamed the "roundups" for the reason, stating the hunters were only collecting the ones that rattled as those were the ones they could find, leaving the ones that had stopped. I can see the hogs contributing to the issue with their population explosion in the last couple of decades.

Just about every state rules and regulations book has a section that covers non-game animals and penalties for violations. Sometimes there is a section specifically for reptiles and the collecting of them. In general, all critters are protected from molestation and/or wanton destruction.

There have been a couple of studies about the rattlesnakes not giving warnings. They blamed the "roundups" for the reason, stating the hunters were only collecting the ones that rattled as those were the ones they could find, leaving the ones that had stopped. I can see the hogs contributing to the issue with their population explosion in the last couple of decades.
I suppose you are right. Then again, those "Roundups" catch snakes which are milked for their venom and those snakes are released. The venom is used to make anti-venom which has many medicinal properties in addition to being used to treat bite victims. Which begs the question, if the snakes are released, how could that study be correct? I'm thinking I'd need to see a citation on that before I trusted it's contents. I don't know why hogs would contribute to the problem of rattlesnakes which don't give warning. If a snake bit a hog the hog would likely kill it and eat it. If it didn't then by that logic the snakes would become less likely to give warning OR bite. So...

God knows a pack of 'yotes never carried off a toddler before and big cats never killed a kid . The world is all Kum-Bah-Ya and we should all mind the g'ubmit 'cause it knows best. Truth is the people who make these laws RARELY listen to the wardens and foresters and always listen to those lobbiests with the heaviest pockets and those pockets are filled by selling a load of BS to every Karen in the country to get donations.

Did you know there are still Panthers in Pennsylvania and Texas? One would think they had been killed off by now, but they haven't been. These animals can take care of themselves without government interference for the most part. It's the loons who run over turtles that worry me, not those who kill a snake now and then. It takes a real man to make sport of hitting a turtle trying to cross a road.

You have a great day.

Remember, before it was the milking, it was basically a blood show selling skins, kabobs, mounts, etc. by the big manly heroes going out in the formidable desert to hunt down the bloodthirsty reptiles of doom. Then the quacks showed them where the real money is.

My favorite is watching the idiot stop in the middle of traffic to run across all lanes to pick a turtle up and carry it back to where it came from instead of moving it to where it was going. No joke, I watched that happen a couple months ago on I-95. They didn't even pull off onto the shoulder.

A good point about the hogs. Rattle or not, they would still sniff them out.

Remember, before it was the milking, it was basically a blood show selling skins, kabobs, mounts, etc. by the big manly heroes going out in the formidable desert to hunt down the bloodthirsty reptiles of doom. Then the quacks showed them where the real money is.

My favorite is watching the idiot stop in the middle of traffic to run across all lanes to pick a turtle up and carry it back to where it came from instead of moving it to where it was going. No joke, I watched that happen a couple months ago on I-95. They didn't even pull off onto the shoulder.

A good point about the hogs. Rattle or not, they would still sniff them out.
Yeah, I have seen that as well. God Bless 'em. They think they are saving that turtle. Last time I saw someone hit one on purpose I just about committed a crime... Call me "woke", I suppose.

That is true about the kababs though. I'm from Waynoka, Oklahoma. Big round up there every year. The empty country is getting more empty every year. It won't be too long before it's going to be damn tempting to go back there to live. ;)