Almost Stepped on Him

Was walking back from my target that was out 125 yds. Between the time I went out and walked back, this critter slithered on to the path where I was walking and I almost stepped on him. He rattled and hissed at me. I left my air rifle on the shooting bench so I was forced to pull out my Springfield .380 auto and spank him.

Screenshot_20230903-191407.png

If it threatens your life you can shoot it .
Hissing isn't threatening your life, it's how they tell you that they're there. Either way, all I'm saying is that it's a slippery slope when making posts about killing federally protected animals, whether you're in the right or not.

Only good snake is a dead snake!
Only good poisonous snake is a dead poisonous snake. Constrictors like Gopher and bull snakes get a pass. Heck,bull snakes kill rattle snakes along with king snakes. Over the last 20 some years I've killed 13 rattlers 9 of which were Mojave green rattlers.

Reactions: jetpopt
The ones that rattle and give warning is a good snake,, I hate the ones that don't sound off,,
Mike
Just know that rattlers don’t always rattle. Also, that bullsnakes look a little bit like rattlers, sometimes overwinter with them, and learn to vibrate their rattle-less tails to mimic their denmates. But bullsnakes are nonvenomous and help cut down the mouse population.

The one I hate is copperheads. One struck my foot years ago but barely missed flesh, thanks to the shoes I wore. No warning, and when I stopped to see what had hit me, it lay coiled up with head poised for a second strike. Rattlesnakes tended to go AWAY when I encountered them on trails. If not, rolling a rock at them convinced them to slither away. That copperhead was about 150 to 200 miles outside of its normal range.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Only good poisonous snake is a dead poisonous snake. Constrictors like Gopher and bull snakes get a pass. Heck,bull snakes kill rattle snakes along with king snakes. Over the last 20 some years I've killed 13 rattlers 9 of which were Mojave green rattlers.
Is the Mojave the one that’s known for being irritable? Good reason to kill it if you encounter one.

Reactions: Smitty911
Yea not much survive a Mojave bite, Western diamond backs here in Tx,Az, NM, kill them all you want , You will not put a dent in the population of the snake, We got so many wild pigs in Texas, That the rattlers that don't sound off survive. So the pigs are making quite snakes , Think about it, Darwin in the works.
Mike

Reactions: MrP and Loren