• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Huben All Things HUBEN K1

@brawler1588 According to my notes I got decent grouping at 28 yards shooting MRDs at 920 fps. However, my groups opened up at that velocity out to 50 yards. They didn’t tighten back up to where I’d like them to be until I topped 1020fps. Considering that I’m focused on long-range slug and heavy-pellet shooting right now, I’m looking for decent consistency at 75-100 yards. I’m hoping that higher velocities will yield similar results (to my 50 yrd results) out to 65-75 yards. If so then I’ll look to stretch it out to 100 yards. When you stretch out to 50 yards, I’m curious to see if you have a similar experience. Keep us posted.

@wimpanzee Couple questions for you:

1) What did your regulator start doing that prompted you to send it in to be rebuilt?

2) How many shots per fill (to what mpa/bar?) are you getting with your reg set at 145 bar?

3) Are the 34 grain pellets II mentioned JSB Beasts?

Large SD in strings, velocity swings in the 20-30fps range. now its back to 2-3fps range.
I get 3 mags from 300bar to about 170 bar, then refill before it reaches reg pressure
I shoot jsb beasts and mrds in it is all. I don't get 3 full mags of the beasts tho...more like 2 and a half.

@wimpanzee 3 mags is good. I want to keep experimenting with different settings. Mine has been hogging air, so I know I have room to make adjustments. I’m pretty sure this isn’t the best tune. I was thinking of lowering the reg setting and manipulating the velocity from the power wheel to achieve the desired velocity in hopes that I can get more shots per fill.

I’d been hesitant to try Beasts. I may give them a shot now that you’ve mentioned having success with them. Thanks for sharing that.

@wimpanzee 3 mags is good. I want to keep experimenting with different settings. Mine has been hogging air, so I know I have room to make adjustments. I’m pretty sure this isn’t the best tune. I was thinking of lowering the reg setting and manipulating the velocity from the power wheel to achieve the desired velocity in hopes that I can get more shots per fill.

I’d been hesitant to try Beasts. I may give them a shot now that you’ve mentioned having success with them. Thanks for sharing that.
My experience is the huben reg operates better at higher pressures. 150bar is the sweet spot on mine, i get 2-3fps SD on a full mag string. That goes up when I lowered the reg....so I put it back to 150.

The huben has a balanced valve of sorts, on the same power wheel setting, heavier ammo will use more air, and lighter ammo less. Between mrds and beasts, its only 3 clicks on the power wheel to shoot them both at 900fps, with 150bar.

I'll second that the factory regulator is more stable at higher pressures. I have been running my .22 at under 100 bar as it does better there with the 18.1 grain pellets (it still sends them at over 950 fps if I set the power wheel up), but I was experiencing more spread in my speeds, especially when my time between shots varied. I decided to try the Huma reg in it to see if it would be more stable, and it definitely is. I gave up the great external adjustability to run this way, but gained accuracy. To be fair, it was not horrible before the switch, but it is better now.

Has anyone had any success with JSB Knockouts in their Huben? If so, which size? I tried some .216 KOs, 25.39 grain and they were loose in the mag and didn’t group well at all. I can’t even say that they grouped.

How about Zan slugs? I shot a mag of Zan .22, 25.5 grain slugs. They fit loosely too, but grouped better than JSB KOs at around 830-870 fps. The groups weren’t really good but at least most of them hit a 4” target with half of the shots within 2”. I was loosing daylight so I didn’t take much time with the Zans. If I can’t get them to shoot any better then it’s probably a no go. Curious about some of your results.

I have not tried them, but Zan makes a .219 slug specifically for guns that shoot from the mag. If I wanted to try any, those would be it - but I'm sticking with pellets.

Basically, you don't want to shoot anything that is loose enough to bounce around in the mag - the reason being that there is a risk of the gun jamming from loose ammo. If it jams you basically have to take it apart to fix it - not hard to do, but daunting the first time you do it. I have learned to not shoot anything that does not stay in place once seated in the mag.

@AlanMcD I said eff it and tried most everything I have over 14 grains. I haven’t had a jam and I’m not looking to create one. So the slugs that were obviously loose and shot like crap are a no-go. Just about everything I’ve tried fits loosely to some degree or another except the 35 grain slugs. I found a few that fit a bit looser than most others. After noticing the last one that fit loosely, I wondered if I have a chamber in the mag that’s a little wider or if it’s actually a variance in the slug size.

I use Zan ,253 .25 slugs as recommended by Francisco,
i bought the loading gate of ebay and it broke almost immediately the quality was crap perhaps i had a bad one,
But the Zan slugs fit that well nice and tight i dont use either the loading gate or the original part and my slugs never move or fall out and my Huben shoots perfect even at stupid high power 35g slugs at over 1050fps Geeze do they wallop the bunnies when they connect…..

I use Zan ,253 .25 slugs as recommended by Francisco,
i bought the loading gate of ebay and it broke almost immediately the quality was crap perhaps i had a bad one,
But the Zan slugs fit that well nice and tight i dont use either the loading gate or the original part and my slugs never move or fall out and my Huben shoots perfect even at stupid high power 35g slugs at over 1050fps Geeze do they wallop the bunnies when they connect…..
@Turbo911 How many shots per fill are you getting shooting 35 grain slugs at 1050fps in .25? What’s your regulator set at?

@Turbo911 How many shots per fill are you getting shooting 35 grain slugs at 1050fps in .25? What’s your regulator set at?
And Turbo911 - please add how high a fill you use . .

We have to remember to add our top fill level when we talk about shot count on our Hubens as very few people fill these things to the max of 5000 psi - usually something less, and it varies greatly, probably even in use as fills from tanks are lower on each refill.

And Turbo911 - please add how high a fill you use . .

We have to remember to add our top fill level when we talk about shot count on our Hubens as very few people fill these things to the max of 5000 psi - usually something less, and it varies greatly, probably even in use as fills from tanks are lower on each refill.

Good point on the fill, I typically fill mine to 4000 or 3900, at 3600 yesterday reg set at 14mpa (forgot how many clicks on the wheel), I get 40 shots shooting 33.95 before it dips off the reg.

I'll second that the factory regulator is more stable at higher pressures. I have been running my .22 at under 100 bar as it does better there with the 18.1 grain pellets (it still sends them at over 950 fps if I set the power wheel up), but I was experiencing more spread in my speeds, especially when my time between shots varied. I decided to try the Huma reg in it to see if it would be more stable, and it definitely is. I gave up the great external adjustability to run this way, but gained accuracy. To be fair, it was not horrible before the switch, but it is better now.
@AllanMcD Great point about the correlation between the time taken between shots and the extreme spread. I'd been wondering how the time between shots affected velocity. It seems like if I take time between shots (allowing the plenum to fill) the velocity spikes. I can actually hear, what I assume is, the air refilling the plenum between shots. If I don't wait for it to stop the spread seems more stable. Is this what you're referring to? If so, are you saying that this is less of an issue with the Huma reg?

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
@Ezana4CE

I think what I was trying to say was that at the lower pressures I was running through the factory regulator (about 90-95 bar) I was getting more variation in the regulated pressure, in terms of where the gun ended up after fully replenishing the plenum - not so much creep as increased variability.

One thing I found fascinating about the Huben is how stable speed is during rapid fire shooting - as you say, it almost seems better like that than slow fire. I think this is a function of how the closing valve works. One thing that fascinated me when I first observed it was that if one leaves the power wheel unchanged, but then lowers the regulator pressure, the shot will go faster - and vice versa (slower shot on higher pressure for a given power wheel setting). I actually used both together do do some of my tuning - I found I could hit any speed I wanted by working the two together (for example, if I felt is was shooting a little fast; bump the pressure up a bit to drop it less than a click on the wheel would).

Eventually I decided that I simply had to know what would happen with the Huma regulator in it, and once it broke in everything got more stable. My ES with long rests is much less, and I still have great results when shooting rapid fire. I'd say that before the switch I probably experienced a max ES of over 45 fps under all shooting conditions and many shots (with the first couple after a day sitting contributing to that), but now that is down under 15 or so with the Huma. Again, this is down at 95 bar set points, which is not really where the gun is "meant" to run, but where I want it to run since my use is pellets in the ~30 FPE range. At this power level I think the Huma is a good addition - if I were running ti at 150 bar or so I don't think it would add as much, but I have not tried ti there.

One thing that amazes me with the gun is how well it runs at even lower speeds. Over the winter I back off the power wheel to shoot at under 500 fps and adjust the scope accordingly, since all my shooting is indoors at paper for months on end. I get probably over 400 shots on a fill that way. I also ofthe dial it back the same amount to pop chipmunks that dig near my house (and just adjust my holdover) in order to minimize the extra energy after popping them. It does so well at so many power levels . . . .

Reactions: Camaro454