American Air Arms All Things EVOL

I own an EVOL .30. Wonderful air rifle. Using a 49.5-grain NSA slug does anyone know what FPS range the HST provides? An approximate is fine. This more a curiosity question but ideas will be appreciated. Also, if you have experience shooting slugs with the EVOL .30 I would love to hear about it. Grain, FPS, etc. Mine is sending the NSA 49.5 gr at 815 FPS. The 54.5 gr at 790 FPS. I have yet to shoot them at 100 yards so that is up next. The 54.5 gr at 50 yards is more accurate than the 49.5 gr.

Reactions: tommyb
I own an EVOL .30. Wonderful air rifle. Using a 49.5-grain NSA slug does anyone know what FPS range the HST provides? An approximate is fine. This more a curiosity question but ideas will be appreciated. Also, if you have experience shooting slugs with the EVOL .30 I would love to hear about it. Grain, FPS, etc. Mine is sending the NSA 49.5 gr at 815 FPS. The 54.5 gr at 790 FPS. I have yet to shoot them at 100 yards so that is up next. The 54.5 gr at 50 yards is more accurate than the 49.5 gr.
The Evol shoots pellets and light slugs with precision. The barrel twist rate likes the shorter lighter NSA slugs (and other manufacturer's slugs similar to them), and will sling them down range around 900 fps, topped out. The longer heavier slugs have more bearing surface, so it slows them down considerably more than say the similar weighted ZAN 56 grain pellet. I've put just about everything I can think of as far as slugs and pellets down through the Evol. What is remarkable about it is that it will be nearly as consistent with group size across the board with just about any slug though. Heavier slugs just shoot slower and not as accurate with this twist rate and power level.

Try the FX Hybrid type of slug. You can also get the same hollow hybrid slug from from RMR Bullets at a decent price from what I understand.

Following closely…

I am also very interested in this information request too. I have a .30 Paradigm that shoots the JSB 44g pellets around 870-875 FPS at factory setting. I would like to see some groups or paper score targets at 50 and 100y with various slug brands and/or weights. My interest is for Benchrest and not hunting.

Have shot at 100y several times and have found that the 44g is approximately 1/2-3/4” group size at 50y consistently, but groups open up at 100y.

Trying to find some EVOL Paradigm.30 user experiences for Benchrest with slugs at these distances.

Thanks, Tom

Last edited:
Following closely…

I am also very interested in this information request too. I have a .30 Paradigm that shoots the JSB 44g pellets around 870-875 FPS at factory setting. I would like to see some groups or paperback score targets at 50 and 100y with various slug brands and/or weights. My interest is for Benchrest and not hunting.

Have shot at 100y several times and have found that the 44g is approximately 1/2-3/4” group size at 50y consistently, but groups open up at 100y.

Trying to find some EVOL Paradigm.30 user experiences for Benchrest with slugs at these distances.

Thanks, Tom
Try adjusting the speed through the spring tension adjuster to see if those pellets stabilize. I'd go a bit faster, around 900 fps or more, so they maintain spin stabilization over those longer ranges. There's a few other guy's shooting those pellets at longer ranges who can let you know what speeds they are running them at also.

Reactions: EDventure
Try adjusting the speed through the spring tension adjuster to see if those pellets stabilize. I'd go a bit faster, around 900 fps or more, so they maintain spin stabilization over those longer ranges. There's a few other guy's shooting those pellets at longer ranges who can let you know what speeds they are running them at also.

I think you are right.

I was curious about increasing the velocity, but I hesitated a bit because I thought Tom C mentioned that 875 FPS was the sweet spot in his video for the 44g. Definitely worth a try, sine he did indicate there is enough adjustment to go from 800-900 FPS by adjusting the HST, without adjusting the regulator.

However, now If I switch to heavier slugs ( I.e., 45-56g as an example); I’m not sure I can get them fast enough with the HST for 100y accuracy. Any thoughts?

This is why I am interested in the slug questions. Essentially, I’m trying to improve my 50 and 100y accuracy for score from the bench.

Thanks
Tom

Last edited:
The Evol shoots pellets and light slugs with precision. The barrel twist rate likes the shorter lighter NSA slugs (and other manufacturer's slugs similar to them), and will sling them down range around 900 fps, topped out. The longer heavier slugs have more bearing surface, so it slows them down considerably more than say the similar weighted ZAN 56 grain pellet. I've put just about everything I can think of as far as slugs and pellets down through the Evol. What is remarkable about it is that it will be nearly as consistent with group size across the board with just about any slug though. Heavier slugs just shoot slower and not as accurate with this twist rate and power level.

Try the FX Hybrid type of slug. You can also get the same hollow hybrid slug from from RMR Bullets at a decent price from what I understand.
My EVOL .30 factory setting shoot the 44.75 grain JSB match pellets at 875 FPS. The NSA slugs (49.5 gr are 806 FPS. To get 900 FPS from the NSA slugs did you adjust HST only? Or did you also adjust the regulator?

My EVOL .30 factory setting shoot the 44.75 grain JSB match pellets at 875 FPS. The NSA slugs (49.5 gr are 806 FPS. To get 900 FPS from the NSA slugs did you adjust HST only? Or did you also adjust the regulator?

From watching Tom’s Paradigm tuning videos, I don’t think you can get to 900 FPS with a 49.5 NSA slug with just adjusting HST only. That would be great though if you can.

Airgun-Hobbyist - can you clarify how you got to 900 FPS?

From watching Tom’s Paradigm tuning videos, I don’t think you can get to 900 FPS with a 49.5 NSA slug with just adjusting HST only. That would be great though if you can.

Airgun-Hobbyist - can you clarify how you got to 900 FPS?
@tommyb Not without divulging trade secrets. ;-)

Seriously though, the heavier the slug there's more bearing surface as compared to pellets and the slower it will be able to travel down the barrel within the factory regulator setting, even with heavy hammer spring tension. Upping the regulator pressure changes this, but you slower shot count. I've got my regulator set at 2,250 psi and had it much higher doing testing a few years ago. This 2,250 is a "reasonable" setting for shot count and power, plus makes a pretty tight shot string, though I'd rather have it lower with higher power abilities.

My suggestion would be to buy the new plenum extensions and the hammer weight kit to increase the tuning ability of the original Evol platform.

I want to get a nice quality, relatively discreet, soft rifle case for my 15" EVOL, but can't seem to find anything that fits the bill. I have a 40" quilted midwayusa case that I really like, but it wont quite close because of the pistol grip. Most cases that look like they'll fit are covered with AR/AK magazine pockets that I obviously have no need for. Any recommendations?
I finally decided on a case. FHF Gear TAC MTN 42". Super nice, made in USA and fits my 15" perfectly!

IMG_0191.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

I just installed the medium sized plenum in my .30 Evol. I was trying to get 56 Zans and 68 grain NOE slugs shooting faster. I wanted the Zans around 900-920. They shoot VERY WELL at this velocity in my Skout epoch. I found I couldn’t get the Evol with its shorter barrel to do this semi economical. I have them at 875 average with 6fps ES and 2fps SD. Now I’m dealing with an extremely SLOW leak. I got all new O-rings from the O-ring store so I’m getting it done. It really likes the slugs cast from the NOE mould but it was at 700 FPS with the 68 grain slugs, this was prior to my install of the plenum. My reg setting is at 2300 PSI and I had to turn the hs in 2 turns. I got the gun used. It was shooting 44 grain hades at 880 at 2000 PSI reg setting and the slugs at 700 FPS. FWIW I have looked down the bores of lots of high end rifles, PB and AIR, the barrel of the AAA is like a mirror! It just goes to show why these are so inherently accurate and kudos to Tom and his crew out there!

Last edited:
Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
Depending on the barrel leade you may not be able to get slugs to shoot well. I was talking to Tom and he mentioned that the leade is different on the barrels for slugs and pellets. He is coming out with a slug barrel as well, hoping to be within a month or so.
I guess I got lucky, so far at least. They shot extremely well at 700fps. Like all in the same hole at 60 yards. I sized them exactly .300 and were cast from pure lead and lightly lubed with balistol. I have to cast more and get time out on the range.

A slug barrel would be neat to try. The Skout didn’t like this slug, so I tried I’d in the Evol that day and for a second I thought it was bad, like only 1 of the first 3 shots hit the target, I walked down and they were a tight clover. More testing and more casting or vise versa, lol! Hopefully it will shoot good now I bumped it up a little.

Here’s the group 5 shots. I was aiming at the orange dot where I was shooting the GK1 .22 earlier.

66266313490__EDDAF1CD-B079-4B70-9EF2-38A892983C2E.jpeg

Last edited:
I just got the medium plenum installed and replaced all the O-rings except inside the regulator. Adjusted the hammer spring and bumped up the pressure to 2300. Currently run 56 grain zans BR pellets at 877 average of 8 shots with extreme spread of 6fps standard deviation of 2fps. These pellets like to fly fast but I can’t get more out of the short barrel and have any sort of economy.
My Skout epoch has the long barrel so it’s like twice as long so I get a tad more velocity.
BTW, I’m very new to Airguns and newer still to tuning. I’m trying to learn and pick up as much knowledge as I can. There is plenty of on this forum. Thanks to all of the people that came first and shared their knowledge and expertise.

Depending on the barrel leade you may not be able to get slugs to shoot well. I was talking to Tom and he mentioned that the leade is different on the barrels for slugs and pellets. He is coming out with a slug barrel as well, hoping to be within a month or so.
Woogie_man, you might not want to do this, but I figured I'd mention it. I have (successfully) re-shaped craytex rubberized abrasive bits using a file, to reshape the leade in a LW barrel I had done. You have to be really careful and I ran two different grits, forward and backwards. My leade is perfect, no slug is chewed on, and none fall in. Pushing a slug through is easy and the marking is spot on. Of course, it can all go to hell pretty easily, but if I had a problem with a barrel chomping on my lead I would not put up with it for too long. I actually had set the whole leade up for JSB MK2's and it worked out for slugs just as well. The gun is now set up to shoot Zan 28gr slugs at 50fpe. I couldn't have done it all much more simply. I put the cratex bit in a drill worked the diameter down to where I wanted it, then put a shallow bevel on it and used it very sparingly in the barrel. All of the time was in the setup, very little time using the bits. I didn't want any micro-burs on the lands so I ran them both directions. This isn't for everyone, that's for sure, but it really worked out just perfectly for me.