• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

American Air Arms All Things EVOL

I pulled my EVOL 30 out today after it's been sitting in my closet since May. I noticed this knocking sound coming from what sounds like the lower. Any idea on what this is?

Hammer in free flight is one possibility. Although that seems like a heavy hammer in too much free flight, but ay don't fret if its shooting well.

-Matt

Last edited:
Here are some groupings from today. Was around 20 yards, but wanted to see what was grouping and what wasn't with the new plenum installed. Velocities were nothing extreme highest was just over 100 fps and lowest was mid 800 fps.

Gives a good starting point to fine tune for a specific ammo.

Did shoot at a 100 yards and the H&N showed promise as did the NSA 217 slugs with their single digit SD.
IMG_20231113_203532_510.jpg
16999103570988788892758660609137.jpg
16999122239654265319488122295975.jpg

Finally my turn to join the AAA club! 😁

Been wanting an Evol since 2016.

Ordered and paid for the gun a couple of months ago, but shipping to me here in Norway was a real pita so it did not arrive until today.

Latest version Evol Mini .22. Came with a very nice bag - but I already had a backpack and some upgrades waiting for it. 😅 First 11 shots over the chrono looks very promising (JSB 18,1gr).
View attachment 366070View attachment 366071
View attachment 366072View attachment 366073View attachment 366074View attachment 366075
@Navnesen How does that MDT butstock compare to the Magpul bustock that comes with it?

Reactions: pan60
Well back from shooting. At 50 yards there was a single hole group from the weights I was given. Though at 100 yards the "groups" were like a shotgun pattern. Again I went back to the Fx 25.4 pellets and did a single hole group at 50 yards and a ragged hole at 100 yards.

After talking with Tom about the first testing the barrels are ment for pellets for sure. With a twist of 1:18 so nothing close to what a slug needs. There is always the possibility of finding something that will work, but it will be a custom made slug.

I am going to be using this gun, with the pellets, on Sunday for an NRL22 match. May have some video of the stages and will report back for sure.

Well back from shooting. At 50 yards there was a single hole group from the weights I was given. Though at 100 yards the "groups" were like a shotgun pattern. Again I went back to the Fx 25.4 pellets and did a single hole group at 50 yards and a ragged hole at 100 yards.

After talking with Tom about the first testing the barrels are ment for pellets for sure. With a twist of 1:18 so nothing close to what a slug needs. There is always the possibility of finding something that will work, but it will be a custom made slug.

I am going to be using this gun, with the pellets, on Sunday for an NRL22 match. May have some video of the stages and will report back for sure.
Good luck at the match...beautiful and awesome shooter! Have fun.

Reactions: woogie_man
@woogie_man As many know and other's will come to find out, the original Evol's are awesome pellet rifles. They were designed to shoot pellets extremely well. I've been down the slug rabbit hole with these guns for thousands of rounds, and have also been told by Tom that slugs will work if they are short and similar in weight to pellets. The short light slugs group/shoot well in my .30 caliber Evol.

That said, the barrel and rifling (in pellet rifles in general) may be "tricked" into spinning up a slug to stability for long range shooting (over apogee where it matters) with a short shanked slug like the rebated boat tail. The FX Hybrids a lot of times will work in pellet barrels because of their unconventional and hollow design. The Hybrids' hollow design puts centrifugal force and center of gravity towards the outside and back a little, so even slow twist rate barrels works in the slug's favor, (and because they are of similar weight as common pellets).

So... a combination of a hollowed slug with a short shanked rebated boat tail should be the hot ticket to accuracy.

@woogie_man, does that Corbin die set have a rebated boat tail base to try? Here's my example of a modified hollow hybrid slug with a rebated boat tail base

Screenshot_20231127-223958~5.png

Last edited:
Screenshot_20231203_105435_Weather.jpg
20231203_103248.jpg
20231203_111708.jpg
PXL_20231203_182634986(1).jpg
PXL_20231203_175657056(1).jpg

Some NRL22 action today. Was a bit chilly but the Paradigm functioned flawlessly. Need some more tuning for the pellets as they are shooting appx 970fps. Had no issues hitting any of the targets, just my errors.

Tom makes one hell of a gun, and can't wait for the HPS version.