• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

American Air Arms All Things EVOL

2 questions

Saw someone single loading an Evol without the magazine. Is that fine, won't blow out any orings?

This question is more about your opinion

Is the 15" Evol good for walking around and hunting? I have a Taipan Vet Long tactical, that while it is superbly accurate, it is also a bit too heavy (8.6 lbs unscoped per specs) and does not offhand well. Can be done but not ideal.
I single load mine all the time when shooting around the house. Especially is im just testing different ammo. I have done this with several other brand of airguns as well. It will not hurt anything. I have also read that many who target shoot will single load and say that is allows you to seat the projectile better. I personally dont know anything about that because Im not one who gets into competition. I did just recently see a single shot tray for the EvoL somewhere online. Not sure where though.
As far a weight and length of what you carry while wondering the brush I personally think it depends. My mini comes in at 31 inches with a DonnyFL Tatsu and the collapsible stock adjusted to preference. My Magnon comes in at 39 inches with a DonnyFL Ronin on it. Both seem to be fine. The HPS on the other hand is another story. That thing is pretty long. Also has a Sumo on the end of it so its about 4 inches longer then stock. I would still do it though. As far as weight. I never really worried about it. They all seem to have some heft to them. They are truly built for abuse though. They really are field tools that are designed to be reliable. There are lighter options out there but the difference never really concerned me. A pound or 2 is not much of a big deal. 5 or 10... Well.

Reactions: RicL
Responsibilities elsewhere precluded my attendance at the N50 match this past weekend, so no reports of performance nor any tales of glory with the Evol................
There will be more time!

I have some very cool titanium bits on the way for the evol mini to test, then if they test well I will be getting them for my HPS. I did however get .217/.2175 slugs 17.5 to 24.8 grain to test in the hps , hopefully this evening.

None of the nsa slugs 17.5 to 24.8 in .217 or .2175 showed promise.

So the hps stays a pellet rifle shooting 25.39 monster redesigns which I'm not upset about at all

Oh it got a new grip and monopod today

20230530_191936.jpg

20230530_182036.jpg

So the hps stays a pellet rifle shooting 25.39 monster redesigns which I'm not upset about at all

View attachment 360656

View attachment 360657
Try the NSA 35 grain slugs. The profile and weight of them with the Evol HPS 18:1 twist barrel should stabilize much better than those short light slugs. They have a long nose as relatively short shank compared to some of the next lighter slugs offered. The JSB MRD's stabilize well because they are long and heavy; just what that twist rate is calling for.

Screenshot_20230530-231203~2.png
Screenshot_20230530-230708~2.png
Screenshot_20230530-230347~2.png

Try the NSA 35 grain slugs. The profile and weight of them with the Evol HPS 18:1 twist barrel should stabilize much better than those short light slugs. They have a long nose as relatively short shank compared to some of the next lighter slugs offered. The JSB MRD's stabilize well because they are long and heavy; just what that twist rate is calling for.

View attachment 360718View attachment 360719View attachment 360720

When I plug all that into the berger ballistics calculator it comes up with marginal stability. I tried from 920 fps to 1020fps and got roughly the same each time. Tom had told me the HPS barrel really liked the old 32 GR NSA ammo but theyve changed that round since and made it more rear heavy which it does not like I guess.

When I plug all that into the berger ballistics calculator it comes up with marginal stability. I tried from 920 fps to 1020fps and got roughly the same each time. Tom had told me the HPS barrel really liked the old 32 GR NSA ammo but theyve changed that round since and made it more rear heavy which it does not like I guess.
I see that a lot of the heavier NSA slug offerings are rear-heavy with a longer shank and short nose radius. This probably isn't allowing those slugs to remain stabilized over the apogee at longer distances with certain speeds and twist rates. It would be interesting to see if the old style of the 32 grain slug may have been the longer spitzer nose and proportionate short shank design.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_

View attachment 360656

View attachment 360657
The barrel is sized at .218 if im not mistaken. I have had no good results with anything so far that is of .217. Have tested JSBs, Howlers (nsa .217), H&Ns and even FX. All shot like garbage. Now there were some. With that said I have not had good luck with any JSB, or H&N in .218 sizes as well for the most part. Now with .218 with Griffin, AVS and NSA my EvoL seems to be fine with those regardless of the weights I have.

The barrel is sized at .218 if im not mistaken. I have had no good results with anything so far that is of .217. Have tested JSBs, Howlers (nsa .217), H&Ns and even FX. All shot like garbage. Now there were some. With that said I have not had good luck with any JSB, or H&N in .218 sizes as well for the most part. Now with .218 with Griffin, AVS and NSA my EvoL seems to be fine with those regardless of the weights I have.
The hps is actually sized .2175 tj 1:18 twist per Tom, it's OK though, I love how it shoots the mrds

Reactions: Elbowgrease
This has been asked of me several times, so for All Things EVOL... Here's the parts that I used to make a folder on my Evol 30: Hera Arms "Side Folding Unit", DoubleStar "ACE 7-1/4" skeleton stock with buffer tube", and a "mil spec AR15 latch plate" with the raised dimple. The plate with the dimple is required to mate the Evol chassis and keep the stock from spinning. To keep the length of pull short, at the common 14" length, any short butt stock around 7-8"" is ideal, whether it is solid or retractable. Most solid AR stocks are longer than this.

To ease tuning, I drilled out the center of the SFU parts to get to the hammer spring adjustment. There's other folding units that are hollow and may allow the 5/16" hex wrench to fit into there with some additional modifications. All folder's are said to rattle some, but this one is pretty tight and I did place a piece of rubber on the frame to avoid marring it up when folded.

IMG_20230531_215406405~2.jpg
Screenshot_20230531-222939~2.png
IMG_20230531_214826904~2.jpg

Reactions: AmosBurton
The hps is actually sized .2175 tj 1:18 twist per Tom, it's OK though, I love how it shoots the mrds
Good to know. I went back to the AAA website and seen that the HPS is listed as 223. Im assuming thats the one that has not been put out yet. I do know that it used to list the HPS as .218. I guessing that the barrel changed to .275 at some point. Just a thought anyway. My HPS is a little over 2 years old or so. Im thinking of getting some heaver slugs to try out. I think the heaviest I currently have are 28 grain 218. Those did shoot well before I made adjustments to the reg.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Wouldn't hurt to try .218s. I know the slug guys from awhile back always said never go undersized but rather either same size or slightly larger. But not undersized. You might be surprised.

I'm considering an Evol .22 Did I once hear the pellet probe retracts after seating the pellet? If not is it a pin type or hollow tube type? Is there anything that needs to be swapped out if you shoot both pellets and flat back slugs?
I can't speak for the .30 but I can confirm the pellet probe does not retract in the .22. In my .357 Slayer the pellet probe does retract though.

Well, it was kind of a bland, weird, odd weekend.

Decided to take the reg down 150 psi on the evol hps. As soon as I set up, it started drizzling, then the wind picked up. It's VERY windy today as you can see, constant 13ish mph with gusts up over 20 mph.

I shot some ok groupings for winds like this, all of a sudden I'm going to pack up.

I say one more mag kev, one more.

Slap the mag in. The wind died. 😍.

I shot 6 shots the first three I questioned if they were off paper, almost made a scope adjustment, said nah, let's shoot again, boom I saw the hole expand.

With that said I got to 6 shots and called it. Never in my life have I shot a group like that, I did not want to ruin it so I 🍒 p icked it.

Oh. This was at 100 yards.

#americanairarms #evolmini #elementoptics #elementopticshelix #utgleapers #magpul #accutac #fxusa #daystateuk #fxairguns #airgunnation #airgunning #OUTDOORLIFE

Screenshot_20230604_141703_AccuWeather.jpg

20230604_135220.jpg

Screenshot_20230604_142333_FX Radar.jpg

20230604_145943.jpg

20230604_145134.jpg

20230604_145054.jpg

Well, it was kind of a bland, weird, odd weekend.

Decided to take the reg down 150 psi on the evol hps. As soon as I set up, it started drizzling, then the wind picked up. It's VERY windy today as you can see, constant 13ish mph with gusts up over 20 mph.

I shot some ok groupings for winds like this, all of a sudden I'm going to pack up.

I say one more mag kev, one more.

Slap the mag in. The wind died. 😍.

I shot 6 shots the first three I questioned if they were off paper, almost made a scope adjustment, said nah, let's shoot again, boom I saw the hole expand.

With that said I got to 6 shots and called it. Never in my life have I shot a group like that, I did not want to ruin it so I 🍒 p icked it.

Oh. This was at 100 yards.

#americanairarms #evolmini #elementoptics #elementopticshelix #utgleapers #magpul #accutac #fxusa #daystateuk #fxairguns #airgunnation #airgunning #OUTDOORLIFE

View attachment 361979

View attachment 361980

View attachment 361981

View attachment 361982

View attachment 361983

View attachment 361984
I'll take it off your hands. it must be shooting very bad to only have 2 pellets out of 6 hit target. Im sure you cant wait to get rid of it so ill sacrifice for you.