• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

American Air Arms All Things EVOL

In my case I am clueless as to where the leak is coming from. I am not looking forward to tearing down this gun. I may not even do it. I may pay someone else to.
They're quite easy guns to work on but understand if you don't feel comfortable. I'd offer to do it for free but with how shipping is these days, I'd be nervous the gun would get lost or damaged.

They're quite easy guns to work on but understand if you don't feel comfortable. I'd offer to do it for free but with how shipping is these days, I'd be nervous the gun would get lost or damaged.
This is so true! That's why I always try to convey to people that there is no magic going on inside these things. Learn to work on them yourself, or forever be at the mercy of the carriers and the service departments. If I honestly believe that there is a decent chance that I might have to send back a gun for a problem that I can't fix, I don't buy that gun. Truth is, just about everything is user fixable, after you work on them for a while. It just comes down to, how much work do you want to give yourself. Evols, are very easy to work on *, compared to most. Roll up your sleeves.

* after you buy the barrel removal wrench!

This is so true! That's why I always try to convey to people that there is no magic going on inside these things. Learn to work on them yourself, or forever be at the mercy of the carriers and the service departments. If I honestly believe that there is a decent chance that I might have to send back a gun for a problem that I can't fix, I don't buy that gun. Truth is, just about everything is user fixable, after you work on them for a while. It just comes down to, how much work do you want to give yourself. Evols, are very easy to work on *, compared to most. Roll up your sleeves.

* after you buy the barrel removal wrench!

Re. Barrel removal wrench - you reminded me of the first time I tried to remove my Paradigm barrel. I had a heck of a time, even after watching Gonzo’s YT video about 10 times.

I could not loosen the barrel at first because there wasn’t enough clearance where the wrench was positioned with regard to the rail. I know these barrels are fastened very tight. Called a friend and he suggested tightening it slightly, so maybe I could get clearance to loosen. I tightened up the barrel just enough to get the wrench on the dimples to now try and loosen. Had to bang then wrench a few times, and it finally came loose.

Paradigm is back up and running. Have the new external regulator adjuster, and Tom's new extended plenum. Will be tuning soon for some 30gr slugs.

Screenshot_20230916_170918_Messenger.jpg

Now that I’ve spent some time with the Mini, I will share my thoughts for those who might be sniffing around about buying one. Is it a $2,600 gun? No. But, if this is what it costs to keep the company that’s making these guns in business and moving forward, then it is what it is. It’s a luxury item, you either pay or won’t own one. So far this little gun has taken the place of two of my guns. When I’m in the garage or out practicing with my bow, it’s with me. It’s eight times the cost of my original garage gun, but I can’t think about that if I want to use it. It will also probably be replacing a gun I just sold to a friend when I go to my sisters for our annual pellet fest. It shoots Hades pretty well so I believe when I start shooting domes out of it, the gun will match or exceed the gun I sold out to 75 or 80 yards. Because of how it’s built, I also think my brother-in-law can’t break it. I also stated that I wanted to compare it to my real barreled Dreamtac. It’s too close to call in every category except handling. A bottle gun just can’t beat a tube gun in the handling department. I would rather hunt with the Mini hands down. The tune the gun came with has the reg just under 2k psi. Hades speed is around 890fps. I thought it might be a little hot because my crosshairs jump straight left on the shot so I checked it last night. The speed stayed perfect until it went off the reg. So that tune will stay as long as the accuracy is there. The mod on the gun does a great job because I’ve built quite a few shorties and it’s a chore keeping them quite at full power. Would I like it just a little more quiet? Yes. But I’m not hanging a giant can on it. I can certainly live with it the way it is because it’s not loud. Besides me putting a better grip and stock on the gun, the price of the Mini is almost justified because there’s no need for further investments or chronic tuning/chasing settings. It’s a keeper. Time to go get my No Regerts tattoo.

Now that I’ve spent some time with the Mini, I will share my thoughts for those who might be sniffing around about buying one. Is it a $2,600 gun? No. But, if this is what it costs to keep the company that’s making these guns in business and moving forward, then it is what it is. It’s a luxury item, you either pay or won’t own one. So far this little gun has taken the place of two of my guns. When I’m in the garage or out practicing with my bow, it’s with me. It’s eight times the cost of my original garage gun, but I can’t think about that if I want to use it. It will also probably be replacing a gun I just sold to a friend when I go to my sisters for our annual pellet fest. It shoots Hades pretty well so I believe when I start shooting domes out of it, the gun will match or exceed the gun I sold out to 75 or 80 yards. Because of how it’s built, I also think my brother-in-law can’t break it. I also stated that I wanted to compare it to my real barreled Dreamtac. It’s too close to call in every category except handling. A bottle gun just can’t beat a tube gun in the handling department. I would rather hunt with the Mini hands down. The tune the gun came with has the reg just under 2k psi. Hades speed is around 890fps. I thought it might be a little hot because my crosshairs jump straight left on the shot so I checked it last night. The speed stayed perfect until it went off the reg. So that tune will stay as long as the accuracy is there. The mod on the gun does a great job because I’ve built quite a few shorties and it’s a chore keeping them quite at full power. Would I like it just a little more quiet? Yes. But I’m not hanging a giant can on it. I can certainly live with it the way it is because it’s not loud. Besides me putting a better grip and stock on the gun, the price of the Mini is almost justified because there’s no need for further investments or chronic tuning/chasing settings. It’s a keeper. Time to go get my No Regerts tattoo.

44D2638C-6668-4A72-B958-99D583884EC8.jpeg

Was able to get out and get some testing done. Started with the 25.4gr pellets at 950 fps, and then went to some Zan slugs in the same grain. Was hitting the round target with a center flapper with ease. 50 yards was no question, 100 yards was just as easy, 200 was a little more of a test but still very doable.

The ability to adjust the regulator and fine tune is awesome! The added consistency that the new plenum extension adds was seen for sure. Was averaging 909fps with a spread of a few fps. Planning on running the Paradigm in the next NRL22 match.
20230920_183514.jpg
20230920_183550.jpg
20230920_183507.jpg

If anyone has a foster fitting leak here you go.

Reactions: PumaCarl
Working on resealing my Evol. So far I found this on my gauge block. It’s a Buna Nitrile size 122 Duro 70 oring. Krytox is what Tom Costan (@slayer) has recommended that we use to lubricate o-rings in the Evol.
IMG_2657.jpeg

Here is how it looked coming off.
IMG_2654.jpeg

This o-ring on the reg could use changing but I didn’t order any of those sizes or types in my last o-ring order. I hope they hold up until my next order.
IMG_2659.jpeg

What do y’all use to lubricate the threads on the Evol?

Last edited:
Reactions: woogie_man
Ezana4CE, even though silicone isn’t a thread lubricant, when an oring is riding high and you have to get it past a bunch of threads, just lube up the threads to work the oring to its final happy resting place. Super Lube or even those tiny tubes they sell at Lowe’s will do the trick. I don’t use liquid silicone when having to work past a bunch of threads.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Well my issue appears to be the burst disc. Maybe it’s gone bad. When I reassembled the reservoir, cocked it, and began to fill with air, I noticed a semi-slow leak coming from around the burst disc. It was already pretty tight. When I removed it, I could’ve see anything obviously wrong, but I haven’t dealt with a bad burst disc in an airgun before. I used a ⅜” socket to remove it. This still doesn’t explain the air rushing out of the barrel the last time I tried to fill the reservoir. Today I stood my Evol up on the but and bumped the but on the floor a couple of times before filling. No air out leaked out of the barrel after that.
IMG_2660.jpeg

I need to look at the schematics and find the thread pitch.
Any suggestions as far as burst disc brands and reputable websites to order from?

Last edited:
I used Ultimox on mine. But the Krytox is similar. Also that Buna 70 should work ok but they have been updated to polyurethane 90 duro 122 orings. But that certainly seems to be your problem!
@Dairyboy I wish I knew that before I ordered all of these o-rings a few months ago. I followed the o-ring sizes and types according to the documents that I downloaded from the AAA site. He did recommend Ultimox, some how Krytox comes up in that search and I bought some. I read that it’s ok to use as well.

Last edited:
The shredded oring on that gland happened when you pulled it out across all those threads. You can plainly see the damage on the side of the oring that was drug across the threads during extraction. An oring that after a long time of happy sealing that suddenly causes a slow leak doesn’t look like a chipmunk went at it. The burst disc suddenly leaking is weird too. I would have snugged it slightly before removing it to see if that stopped the leak. They generally seal using their face.

Ezana4CE, even though silicone isn’t a thread lubricant, when an oring is riding high and you have to get it past a bunch of threads, just lube up the threads to work the oring to its final happy resting place. Super Lube or even those tiny tubes they sell at Lowe’s will do the trick. I don’t use liquid silicone when having to work past a bunch of threads.
I would advise against using silicone grease to lube threads, and so will Tom, as well as others. After seeing what it did to a fellow air gunners tube threads, I will be using ONLY what Tom recommends to lubricate anything on the gun.

I would advise against using silicone grease to lube threads, and so will Tom, as well as others. After seeing what it did to a fellow air gunners tube threads, I will be using ONLY what Tom recommends to lubricate anything on the gun.
I’ve been using silicone to get my orings past the threads on tube guns since 2008 and never had an issue. But the fact that he switched these guns to polyurethane has raised one of my eyebrows. I kinda already have an idea why but would like to hear it directly from him. If someone experienced galling or seizing from having some silicone residue on their threads, there may have been another unspoken factor involved.

Reactions: pnwairgunner
I’ve been using silicone to get my orings past the threads on tube guns since 2008 and never had an issue. But the fact that he switched these guns to polyurethane has raised one of my eyebrows. I kinda already have an idea why but would like to hear it directly from him. If someone experienced galling or seizing from having some silicone residue on their threads, there may have been another unspoken factor involved.
Here's Tom's response to said question. If you haven't removed the tube, you don't understand yet. Threads aren't like other airguns. You barely thread on and no wobble. Very tight tolerances.

Screenshot_20230924_132628_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: woogie_man
@Dairyboy I wish I knew that before I ordered all of these o-rings a few months ago. I followed the o-ring sizes and types according to the documents that I downloaded from the AAA site. He did recommend Ultimox, some how Krytox comes up in that search and I bought some. I read that it’s ok to use as well.
You'll be fine. Mine had the Buna 70 in it when I got it used, and over a year until I changed the reg and replaced orings. And put the 70s in when I did. When I just redid things 2 nights ago I noticed the 90 duro Polyurethane update on the oring thing but did find I had them in my bag so had to have been that way a year ago? Not sure. But either work. I think the 90s do better going over the threads is my guess.