All of a sudden my TalonP likes slugs, what gives?

Hello --

Bought a TalonP .25 last May 2020. Shot it EVERYDAY for year straight, for some 30+ empty tins in the garage cupboard. OK, maybe there were a few rained out days in there...

I had read of folks getting mixed results with slugs in this choked LW barrel, but bought a selection of NSA slugs last year to try out anyway. Did not perform as I was expecting or hoping for. They landed/wandered all over a 6" steel at 40 yards.

After a year of use I applied some JB Bore Paste on patches and nylon brush, and slowly ran that through the barrel, from breech end, with a plug on the muzzle. Polished that barrel real pretty, could see profile of lands very well. Seems like I had to put a lot of pellets through for leading in, but turned out shooting better with the JSB King Heavy 34gr after the polishing. Doable at 100 yards on a 6" steel prior to polishing, my TalonP is now kinda predictable at that range with the 34gr mkI/mkIIs. Niiice.

On a lark I bust out the NSA slugs just for giggles this month, and get pleasing results. One inch-ish groups at 40 yards. That is really good in my book, compared to previous experience with NSA slugs. And now seems like my windage corrections have been cut in half with the NSA 38.5gr. The NSA 33.5gr slugs is just a tad less accurate, but the NSA 36.2gr is a no-go.

So, my TalonP now likes slugs? I am very curious if my experience rings familiar with other folks.

Thank you -- Mark.

Thank you for the question. Sending them SLOOOW...like 760. Tune is 0.166 port, 88gr hammer, PW8, so yes can up the speeds. However, last year when I first tried these slugs was with the same tune. All that being the same, I don't know enough about these barrels, or their break-in needs, just find it very curious slugs work now. Not complaining, for sure, as slugs as an ammo option is great. 

Thank you for the question. Sending them SLOOOW...like 760. Tune is 0.166 port, 88gr hammer, PW8, so yes can up the speeds. However, last year when I first tried these slugs was with the same tune. All that being the same, I don't know enough about these barrels, or their break-in needs, just find it very curious slugs work now. Not complaining, for sure, as slugs as an ammo option is great.

Oh yeah, crank those suckers up!

I'm not surprised that the polishing did good. A large number (majority?) of top tier airguns that are known to be non-pellet fussy and shoot very well (Air Arms, AGT, etc.) are shipping their guns with polished barrels.

I haven't tested barrel polishing myself, yet. If my wife's Prod bullpup doesn't shoot how I want, I'll try polishing the barrel before I have a LW barrel machined for it. 

Oh yeah, crank those suckers up!

hehehe --- In the works.

Dave -- Yes I read through your post few days back when researching "TalonP + slug". I was impressed with your methods, and really impressed with that crown job. More than likely I read your post last year when I became interested in shooting slugs in the TalonP. 

For the present I am going to go with the bore polishing as being the reason for improved accuracy with slugs, that being the only major change since my first experience. Other than having already shot some 5000-6000 pellets through this barrel.

Thank you fellas!

Mark

Congratulations of learning the merits of polishing the bore for Slugs. But you have just scratched the surface. What you have done is lightly lapped the bore.

Now it is actually time to polish it. Start with the JB Bore brite, (a much finer grit) and drop the brush with the patches. Switch to an undersized ( a .22 mob for .25 bbl. for instance),bore mop loaded with the JB paste in the lighter grit. Once this is done, repeat with Flitz Metal Polish on a new mop. Give each grit more strokes at the beginning of the breech end and less toward the muzzle. Do not let the mop exit the muzzle until the last 5 to 10 passes.

There is one more step that I am experimenting with which completely does away with the break in of the barrel. So far, the results are outstanding with first shot accuracy with NO lead in needed. . Stay tuned.

Add that my .257 190 fpe barrel went from factory of having to be cleaned every 35-50- shots to now 300+ and Uragan .251 to well over a thousand with my methods. 

Having to clean every 30 to 50 shots when it took up to 15-20 to get it back to full accuracy really cut it down to no more than 30 top accurate shots. Unacceptable! 

Knife

Knife --

Thank you so much for the guidance, and for the confirmation on the "merits of polishing the bore for slugs." I find it a bit hard to believe at my level of experience that bore lapping was the solution to shooting slugs. I do have a jar of Bore Brite, and can get some Flitz.

This being my first go at really cleaning that barrel out, you are right that I gave only a light lapping, thinking I would be doing this again soon with the added Bore-Brite. But, yeah, I am totally sold on doing this, seeing now these improvements in accuracy.

ATB, Mark