• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

All my slugs track to the right

I installed a 600mm FX Superior liner for my .25 cal. Crown last summer, and started trying slugs for the first time. I've only shot NSA slugs and FX Hybrid. I bought the NSA variety pack to try different weights, and finally settled with the 33.5 grain for their grouping. My question is, do slugs tend to pull to the right compared to pellets? I shoot mostly JSB and H&N pellets. All these pellets group about the same vertically, but when I load a slug, regardless of size or brand, I need to adjust my scope 7 clicks left which comes out to about 1 3/4" at 75 yards. Is this normal for a slug? I've also done a lot of tuning at different power levels and hammer settings, and the tracking to the right is still the same. I've never seen this mentioned before, so I'd like to hear other peoples results.

Lamar

Lamar,

Regardless of gun, or caliber, it is completely normal for your slugs to shoot in a different place than your pellets. Every gun is a little different, every barrel from the manufacturer is a little bit different. Someone else with the same gun, velocity, ammo, and settings, will shoot in a different place than yours. 

It's almost a given that no 2 guns will be the same. It is also improbable that pellets and slugs will impact at the same spot as each other, particularly at longer distances, so what you described above is relatively normal. 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

When I jump between pellets and slugs, the slugs always pull to the right. Using a Daystate Safari.

That is exactly what I am experiencing. It doesn't matter if it's FX Hybrid or NSA slugs, when I change from any pellet to any slug, my groups jump to the right.

And yes, the amount the group jumps right is dependent on the distance I shoot. With my scope, that amounts to me adjusting my scope about 7 clicks left when I shoot slugs.

As far as me pulling too much with my finger, I know that's not the case. I'm shooting from sandbags and squeeze the trigger so slowly that I don't know for sure when the gun will fire.

Not sure what is meant by indexing the barrel, but if that means rotating the liner, I don't see where that would change things. Could use an explanation.

The one difference I notice while loading slugs it they load in the breech with much less resistance than pellets. I think the pellet skirt, since it is wider, causes that.

The difference between slugs and pellets did cause me to miss an easy shot on a ground squirrel 2 days ago. I had been shooting pellets last in my yard, and when I spotted the squirrel, I thought I'd try out a NSA 33.5 gr slug on him, forgetting to readjust my scope 7 clicks left. Of course I shot right.

I shoot pellets and slugs from several guns. You are shooting 2 projectiles that couldn’t be more different from each other. I would be more concerned if they had the same POI. I would immediately get in my car and go buy a lottery ticket. You are at least fortunate enough to have a setting that shoots both with accuracy. I usually have to change my reg an HS setting when switching to a slug.

Scope cant could be the cause, but really you are asking too much from the gun/barrel when swapping projectile types. The leading of the barrel changes drastically when swapping over to slugs from pellets, and is more likely the cause. What happens if you continue shooting the slugs, do they straighten out eventually as the barrel leading gets more right for the slugs?

I haven't shot the slugs for much more than 30 shots continuous before switching back to pellets, so I don't know if barrel leading would have an effect. I am getting good accuracy results at 130 bar and 809 fps at the muzzle. Usually around 5/8" groups at 60 yds. My JSB MK II's will usually have a little better accuracy, but not much more. I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that I will need to readjust my scope when going from pellet to slug.

I haven't shot the slugs for much more than 30 shots continuous before switching back to pellets, so I don't know if barrel leading would have an effect. I am getting good accuracy results at 130 bar and 809 fps at the muzzle. Usually around 5/8" groups at 60 yds. My JSB MK II's will usually have a little better accuracy, but not much more. I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that I will need to readjust my scope when going from pellet to slug.

It shouldn't take but just a few shots for the barrel leading to adjust. Yes, if I switch over, It's a retune for the new projectile. Typically only an adjustment of the power wheel, and checking the zero. I also like cleaning the barrel before shooting slugs, being they are so finicky, but I am a little obsessed with accuracy, too.