Alkin w31 vertical transportation

Anyone know if the vertical w31 can be transported horizontally? For example, laid flat on its back while in a vehicle?
Not a good idea as you can damage the fan housing
IMG_7452.jpeg

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Not a good idea as you can damage the fan housing View attachment 456974
Not to mention, depending on how it’s oriented when horizontal, where the oil may go. As mentioned Alkin would be the best place to ask.
And I would say that a wood or metal fabricated support to assure it’s stable during transportation would be recommended.
In the two photos below, notice that the orientation of the compressor portion is the same in both vertical and horizontal. They just move the motor from under the compressor to the side to make it a horizontal.

IMG_2531.jpeg

IMG_2530.jpeg

Common sense with dictate if you drain the oil and lean it carefully down on side opposite of the fan shroud it should be okay if you put some rubber or wood blocks to support the weight on the compressor casing, or even leaning it on the fan shroud side might be okay or even better depending on how stout the fan shroud is compared to the weight that it would be supporting.

Common sense with dictate if you drain the oil and lean it carefully down on side opposite of the fan shroud it should be okay if you put some rubber or wood blocks to support the weight on the compressor casing, or even leaning it on the fan shroud side might be okay or even better depending on how stout the fan shroud is compared to the weight that it would be supporting.
I agree on transporting oil free but, I might be wrong but I’m interpretting the OP’s desire is to just take it to a range or something and then back home. Having to drain the oil for each trip just adds to the PITA for the trip/s.
I totally agree though on draining oil before transporting laying down.

Yeah the whole oil migration thing is my primary concern. I have an email out to Alkin. My guess is it won't be advisable. @rcs9250 is correct. Just curious if it could be taken to a range somewhere. I don't have the luxury of having a truck to keep it vertical for transport.
buy a tank and fill /transport that .

If you have a vehicle suitable to tow but don't have a trailer, you can buy extremely sturdy hitch carriers that can take several hundred pounds. Of course, your vehicle must have a hitch capacity(not tow weight, but vertical weight) that exceeds weight of carrier+cargo by a good safety margin. Probably need a full size/full frame SUV to do it.

This is a $5000 compressor, so,
NO - it doesn’t belong on its side.
Gages and tubing and fan shrouds are not engineered for weight bearing.
When you’ve spent this kind of money on a compressor it is silly to take short cuts to move it. Buy or rent a trailer to ship it upright on it’s weight bearing supports.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
You could keep an eye out on craigslist for a very small trailer that can be towed by virtually any vehicle out there, and build a box to protect the compressor from junk blowing in the wind. You could probably do it for under 500 dollars including having a light duty tow hitch added to a vehicle if you don't already have a vehicle with a tow hitch. There are also plenty of 4ft tall interior small cargo trailers out there, you would have to get lucky to find a used one locally that is cheap, new they are kind of expensive. When is say small, I mean really small, like this, anything can tow it:
tinytrailer.png

If you are handy at all, you could modify a motorcycle trailer to make the cargo area taller and it would work great behind any vehicle, I've seen motorcycle trailers for sale cheap fairly often.

This is a $5000 compressor, so,
NO - it doesn’t belong on its side.
Gages and tubing and fan shrouds are not engineered for weight bearing.
When you’ve spent this kind of money on a compressor it is silly to take short cuts to move it. Buy or rent a trailer to ship it upright on it’s weight bearing supports.
I'm just saying if you are willing to empty the oil and rig up something that will support the weight on the case as shown it red such that the delicate part don't hit anything, or on the other side of the handle shown on red IMO it would be fine. Seems simple enough to rig something up to extend the handle on either side to support the weight. You have to insure that it won't move in transport and come off the support you made.

Price isn't the issue proper transport is. Some people wear 50K plus watches that may get banged around. When I wore watches I wore < $20 Casio. :)

1713657268334.png