Alkin W31 - Topping off/Filling more than one tank question

I have a question for you fellow Alkin W31 owners out there regarding your procedure when topping off or filling more than one tank.
My usual procedure is to check the oil, open up all three drains, and power up the alkin with the drains open for a minute or so to 'warm up'.
Then I close the drains and start pressurizing and filling. When done, I have been draining all three (including filter side and fill line) before moving on to my next tank.
My question is, Is it necessary to drain the filter valve (right side) and Line before attaching and filling my next tank?
I would think that you could just leave it pressurized and only open the two drains on the left before powering back on and filling the next tank?

It is better for your compressor to equalize the pressure in the line to the tank!
So what this means if you are filling multiple tanks....
You will bleed off air from the Purifier to Equal the pressure in your Tank.

Or if you are filling the First tank or One tank...
You will need to turn on the Compressor, the the filling valve on the hose Closed.
Build up pressure to Equal the Pressure in the Tank...

Also when I warm up my Compressor...
First I will start it with all valves open, for about 20sec...
Then let close all of them for a moment, to allow pressure to build up!.
Just Enough to stop the last Stage piston slap!!!
Then open all the valves Except the Purifier!!.. To keep pressure in the last stage!!!!
Then run until the compressor is warm enough to start filling....

Good Luck

The whole point of the lever bleed is to allow filling of multiple tanks without repressurizing the Alkin air purifier each time. After you fill the first tank shut off the compressor. Turn the tank valve until it's closed. Lift the lever to vertical to relieve the pressure between the hose and the tank. Drain the 2 left side water separator valves but not the right side valve. Attach the hose to your next tank to fill. Restart the compressor. Close the two left side bleed valves. Push the hose lever to horizontal. Open the tank valve. Repeat this procedure for each subsequent tank.

That's not nice!
Letting the compressor start against 4500psi will wear it out fast.
That might be true for a Coltri that doesn't have a Pressure maintaining valve but there are back check valves and pressure maintaining valves on an Alkin. By draining the water separator valves an Alkin isn't starting against back pressure even when the right side filter tower is pressurized. Bleeding off the filter tower when filling multiple bottles is unnecessary and just makes the compressor run longer for no beneficial reason.

The whole point of the lever bleed is to allow filling of multiple tanks without repressurizing the Alkin air purifier each time. After you fill the first tank shut off the compressor. Turn the tank valve until it's closed. Lift the lever to vertical to relieve the pressure between the hose and the tank. Drain the 2 left side water separator valves but not the right side valve. Attach the hose to your next tank to fill. Restart the compressor. Close the two left side bleed valves. Push the hose lever to horizontal. Open the tank valve. Repeat this procedure for each subsequent tank.

That might be true for a Coltri that doesn't have a Pressure maintaining valve but there are back check valves and pressure maintaining valves on an Alkin. By draining the water separator valves an Alkin isn't starting against back pressure even when the right side filter tower is pressurized. Bleeding off the filter tower when filling multiple bottles is unnecessary and just makes the compressor run longer for no beneficial reason.
Hello Everyone,
This is the correct method that we would advise for Alkin users. "By draining the water separator valves an Alkin isn't starting against back pressure even when the right side filter tower is pressurized. Bleeding off the filter tower when filling multiple bottles is unnecessary and just makes the compressor run longer for no beneficial reason". You only need to bleed the purifier valve at the end of the day for a couple of seconds to get rid of the moisture.

GA LeadHead, if you open the two left drains, you are no longer compressing air into the third stage (assuming you are leaving the compressor running). With compressor running, air of course will be escaping out of the drains. While that’s happening you can do your bottle switch. Once the switch is complete close the drains and begin your bottle top off.

I pump em up 2 at a time. Poor old shoebox is jealous, but in under 10 min i can top off 2 60 min tanks. Shoebox would take hours n hours… Life is better with an Alkin in it.

7EA58806-C424-4FD8-BEB9-B0CD5AE28C00.jpeg

Having recently purchased an Alkin, these are the operating steps taken from their video...

• Hook fill valve to tank.
  • Before starting compressor, ensure both H2O valves are open. Purifier valve closed.
  • Pressurize fill valve to tank. (Open it like below)
    1672338356075.png
  • Open tank valve – pressurizes fill hose. Fill hose whip gauge will show tank pressure.
  • Start compressor.
  • Close H2O valves.
  • Drain H2O valves for 2-3 seconds every 10 minutes.
  • At 4500 psi, compressor should shut off. (Newer models, otherwise shut off manually)
  • Close tank valve.
  • Open H2O valves.
  • Close fill whip valve: (up)
  • Disconnect from tank.
  • If done, open the purifier valve.
  • Open whip filler valve to bleed whip.
And agree with the information provided above...

"The whole point of the lever bleed is to allow filling of multiple tanks without repressurizing the Alkin air purifier each time. After you fill the first tank shut off the compressor. Turn the tank valve until it's closed.

Lift the lever vertically to relieve the pressure between the hose and the tank. Drain the 2 left side water separator valves but not the right-side valve. Attach the hose to your next tank to fill. Restart the compressor. Close the two left side bleed valves. Push the hose lever to horizontal. Open the tank valve. Repeat this procedure for each subsequent tank."

Last edited:
Reactions: GA_LeadHead
For a definitive answer, call or email Alkin. They've been very responsive to me. I leave the filter pressurized and move on to the next tank. I have the auto-bleed system and it seems like this is how it's supposed to work. The Alkin isn't a tiny compressor, and you're not firing it up under a 4500psi load - the valve assures that you have full pressure on the compressor side before opening to fill a tank.

GsT

With Fosters you could easily, and economically make a whip that would fill two tanks at a time.
The sketch shows a set up for filling two at a time. And if only filling one, you just disconnect the dual set up. I think it would be easier than having to turn compressor on and off.

0C08452E-2C84-449F-B654-07BAD9BA97DC.jpeg