• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Alkin W31 Motor Problem need Help.

Guys i need your help i own an Alkin W31 4.9cfm compressor. Recently the electric motor blew up and i purchased a new one from Alkin. The oem motor was a 3kw 60hz motor and the one they sent me is a 2.2kw 50hz motor i called them and they told me that this motor will work the same as the 3kw motor and honestly i doubt that since this is a weaker motor and on top of that the motor they sent me is from 2021 its not even new. What can i do about this?

IMG_2055.jpeg

IMG_2054.jpeg

Considering the price of the compressor, you have a dilemma. Is it still under warranty? I’m no electrician, but I would use the new motor, and at the same time, find a company locally that repairs motors and take the old one in for repair and keep it as a spare. Plus do you need a Turkish motor? You have the specs on the motor, as long as the shaft and hole pattern are the same, you could find one online or maybe a local company that sells them.

Reactions: Wauzoo
Considering the price of the compressor, you have a dilemma. Is it still under warranty? I’m no electrician, but I would use the new motor, and at the same time, find a company locally that repairs motors and take the old one in for repair and keep it as a spare. Plus do you need a Turkish motor? You have the specs on the motor, as long as the shaft and hole pattern are the same, you could find one online or maybe a local company that sells them.
Local company wanted $400 to repair the motor thats the price of a new one.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
@miamiguy2017 I would insist on obtaining a comparable motor, especially if the specs for the motor on this model are advertised as the same as your original motor. Is you Alkin still under warranty? Have you checked the specs on the Alkin site? Maybe @Humdinger can help you out with advice.

edit: The "Data Sheet" for the W31 Mariner Vertical says its a 4hp (3kW) motor. I'd also refer to the owner's manual and request what's printed there as well as what is printed below.
Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 9.44.16 PM.png

Last edited:
@miamiguy2017 I would insist on obtaining a comparable motor, especially if the specs for the motor on this model are advertised as the same as your original motor. Is you Alkin still under warranty? Have you checked the specs on the Alkin site? Maybe @Humdinger can help you out with advice.

edit: The "Data Sheet" for the W31 Mariner Vertical says its a 4hp (3kW) motor. I'd also refer to the owner's manual and request what's printed there as well as what is printed below.
View attachment 429639

They said this is all they have now. So i guess im screwed with the wrong motor and they keep my money.

They said this is all they have now. So i guess im screwed with the wrong motor and they keep my money.
@miamiguy2017 At this point asking questions can't hurt. Consider asking if they can get another one in a future shipment from Turkey. Or maybe ask if they know of a source in the US where you could obtain one the matches the specs of the original motor. Hopefully more knowledgeable members can provided more effective advice. I'd also be asking for help if I were in your shoes.

@miamiguy2017 At this point asking questions can't hurt. Consider asking if they can get another one in a future shipment from Turkey. Or maybe ask if they know of a source in the US where you could obtain one the matches the specs of the original motor. Hopefully more knowledgeable members can provided more effective advice. I'd also be asking for help if I were in your shoes.
Now i gotta figure out how to get them to accept this motor back.

Running the motor @ 60Hz will push it closer to the original motors Kw. You will probably be ok. It would be more of an issue the other way around. Since this is a single phase motor, it uses capacitors that are usually rated for both frequencies. Do you still have the old motor. Its possible the caps took a dump. If so, that's a easy fix.

Reactions: Loren
Running the motor @ 60Hz will push it closer to the original motors Kw. You will probably be ok. It would be more of an issue the other way around. Since this is a single phase motor, it uses capacitors that are usually rated for both frequencies. Do you still have the old motor. Its possible the caps took a dump. If so, that's a easy fix.
Old motor just runs really slow idk what the issue is.

How will i know which capacitors i need to buy? Could a bad capacitor cause the motor to run slow?
Absolutely. I don't know what your skill level is with electrical, but you can remove them and replace with the same model specs from Grainger. Also can test them with a Digital Multimeter. Caps going out on a compressor motor is pretty common.