Alkin W 31 Price hit the roof

I been very lucky with my Sheldon compressor , About six years ago I thought well I will put a little money aside in case my compressor ever gives up, Looked up the Alkin best of the best, 3000. set aside just in case, My compressor never a problem in 12 years or so, Just looked at the price of the new Alkins W 31 Dam a tick over 4000 bucks , What happened , Has the price jumped that much or did I look in the wrong store?
Dam maybe my Sheldon will last another 12 years , I am sure the Alkins will be 6000 by then, Dam , Crazy...
Mike
Mike, Do you post on rimfire central or Accurate shooter? I tried to contact you on this site, but I guess my user name is too new to contact members or something. I know where an almost new Alkin is located very close to Odessa. My user name on RFC or AS is "skunkhunter" or if you can PM or email me from this forum, I can help you get in contact with Alkin owner. I think he used it three times and is now getting out of PCP.

I paid the same for my W31 in 2020, and that was the Cadillac version with auto bleed and shutdown.
h e Could only find a Sheldon in 3k psi output, and Airetex was defunct by that time. I

Just got off the phone with an Alkin rep named Franz, but i think it is spelled like Faranz,, anyway supernice guy who I asked If he could give me a deal. ISo ended up getting a Alkin W31 220/240 volt Vertical with Auto Shut off and Auto Condensate drain. 4900.00 includes shipping to a business. He gave me a 5 percent discount but price before shipping he quoted at about 5100.00 dollars US. These things keep going up, dont think they will ever go down. I just decided that i did not want to ever worry about moisture or major repair problems. I see that few guys who ponied up the money really never had any regrets once a few weeks went by. So I decided to pay once, cry once and enjoy dry air and a reliable machine for life. Just my two cents, which is all I have left until next payday, lol.

Reactions: Skydivingmiami
I think my Sheldon is going to last forever, Just filled up my three Great white tanks , Still giving me a tick over 4500 PSI about 4600 on the gauge, I was trying to remember how much I paid for my Compressor , I think around 1,600 bucks or close to it. I did kind of hold my breath a while when Sheldon retired , but last I heard someone bought out the store, Not sure who or if its still open..
Mike

It seems as if Alkins have increased in price annually since I bought mine. I was warned that the price was going to increase and placed my order beforehand. It wasn't a bluff. I have taken the advice of several trusted members and read a lot of threads before purchasing. I don't regret. I even discussed it with the owner of the dive shop I used to go to before purchasing and he was very supportive. An Alkin costs about as much as one of the more expensive top tier air rifles. Looking back using @Humdinger logic, I'd much rather have the compressor than the expensive and dated rifle 3 years later.

I been very lucky with my Sheldon compressor , About six years ago I thought well I will put a little money aside in case my compressor ever gives up, Looked up the Alkin best of the best, 3000. set aside just in case, My compressor never a problem in 12 years or so, Just looked at the price of the new Alkins W 31 Dam a tick over 4000 bucks , What happened , Has the price jumped that much or did I look in the wrong store?
Dam maybe my Sheldon will last another 12 years , I am sure the Alkins will be 6000 by then, Dam , Crazy...
Mike
12 years is a very long time to compare $$ . Collage class we used "How long did a person have to work for said item ?" this way you can compare 1920 wages to 1960 wages , or cost of item .

Reactions: 3Crows
Everyone has to make decisions about purchases based upon their own priorities and budget. There is no absolute right way to proceed for everyone. I am amused reading about a reviewer who has tried twelve $200-500 compressors which have all failed within a year yet he asked about what new low priced compressor he should try next. Add up the losses and it would pay for a new Bauer or Alkin. Others will pay $$$ for whatever the newest gotta have it feature in PCPs. A year later a newer model comes to market. The owner then sells it for a huge loss on the used market. What I've never understood is buyers who don't blink at spending for the latest high dollar PCP but insist that a similarly priced compressor is not in their budget.

"Cheap reliable" in high pressure air compressors is an oxymoron. There is cheap or there is reliable but there is no cheap and reliable.
I bought a used Bauer 3 years ago for $1100. It’s never skipped a beat

• Wow
Reactions: Ezana4CE
@cavedweller Not bad. I looked at a few Bauer Junior II compressors when I was shopping around. Most were coming out of India with high hours on them. They also had high shipping costs. Ultimately I went with something new that had a repair facility that I could drive to.
Google Compressed air partners in Alabama
122 Hwy 265- Suite 806
Alabaster AL 35007
United States

@cavedweller Not bad. I looked at a few Bauer Junior II compressors when I was shopping around. Most were coming out of India with high hours on them. They also had high shipping costs. Ultimately I went with something new that had a repair facility that I could drive to.
Does the ones coming from India have a reassemble in the dirt extended warranty...

Most of what I seen coming from India that is used, is rebuilt on a dirt floor. Use youtube.
@Ta-Ta Toothie Ah I see what you’re saying.
When I said what I saw “had high hours on them,” that implies that the units were highly used. I was under the impression that there was a SCUBA diving industry in the region these units were sold out of. I don’t recall which part of India it was. That plus high prices and extremely high shipping rates are why I never ordered one from there. Other than that I saw one that sat unused for a couple of years in a locations south of Houston. That one was listed on Craigslist. Ultimately I opted to purchase a new unit to avoid taking a gamble.

Reactions: Ta-Ta Toothie
@Ta-Ta Toothie Ah I see what you’re saying.
When I said what I saw “had high hours on them,” that implies that the units were highly used. That plus high prices and extremely high shipping rates are why I never ordered one from there. Other than that I saw one that sat unused for a couple of years in a locations south of Houston. That one was listed on Craigslist. Ultimately I opted to purchase a new unit to avoid taking a gamble.
I would never buy anything used from India.

@cavedweller Alkin USA didn’t charge me any tax. I ordered directly from them. That was a few years back. I’d ask guys that purchased theirs recently.
I’m in contact with both Alkin and Airetex
Both have presented quotes
The Airetex appears to be a knock off of my Bauer - AireTex Mini Magnum. 3.7 actual CFM auto drain model regular price $3995 plus shipping on sale for $3795. Plus shipping.

The Alkin W31 is about $900 plus more up front. Unfortunately, the Alkin vertical semi auto 220v is out of stock right now. They only have the horizontal version in semi auto. Looking at a 6–8 week lead time on the vertical semi auto 220v; if you only wanted that you can place the order and hold one of the units incoming in 6-8 weeks. There are customers that have compressors reserved by buying direct through distributors. Most distributors don't stock these, they ship them directly to their customers from Alkin. Alkin Shipping cost is going to be $350.00 to a residential address w/liftgate delivery. Alkin semi automatic unit all in Total with credit card fees and shipping: $4635.00

Of course Both are solid compressors!

Last edited: