Alkin 220 plug

Match the plug to the 220V outlet receptacle you have or plan to buy. I have a NEMA 6-20 220V plug and wall receptacle. It has one vertical and one horizontal blade and a ground blade. A NEMA 6-15 amp plug has two horizontal blades and a ground blade. There are a variety of choices but the NEMA 6-20 plug and receptacle is commonly used with dive compressors. The plug and receptacle are less bulky than a dryer plug setup. Here is a photo of a Nema 6-20. 220V compressors do not come with plugs because there are so many types of 220V receptacles. New Bauer compressors don't even ship with wire or on/off controls. They require the owner to connect their own wire and control box to their 220V motor. That is a negative selling point for such an expensive compressor line.

Nema 6-20 plug.1605104129.jpg

Match the plug to the 220V outlet receptacle you have or plan to buy. I have a NEMA 6-20 220V plug and wall receptacle. It has one vertical and one horizontal blade and a ground blade. A NEMA 15 amp plug has two horizontal blades and a ground blade. There are a variety of choices but the NEMA 6-20 plug and receptacle is commonly used with dive compressors. The plug and receptacle are less bulky than a dryer plug setup. Here is a photo of a Nema 6-20. 220V compressors do not come with plugs because there are so many different receptacles. New Bauer compressors don't even ship with wire or on/off controls. They require the owner to connect their own wire and control box to their 220V motor. That is a negative selling point for such an expensive compressor line.

Nema 6-20 plug.1605104129.jpg

Same plug I used and wall receptacle. Simple. Even bought a 25’ #12 extension cord and cut the ends off and wired in matching male and female plugs so i can be at the opposite end of my garage and still safely plug in to the outlet(compressor is on a rolling cart set up).

20201115_100542.1605452768.jpg

I'm not a electrician but I was told by an electrician in my family to send a picture of the motor plate and he walked me threw the installation process also I confirmed everything with the Alkin guy I bought it from in Clifton NJ I was originally gonna use a dual pole 30 amp breaker and was told by Alen from Alkin that I would burn the motor out ....

20 amp = 2400 watts

2.2 kw = 2200 watts

30 amp = 3600 watts

If the circuit overloads it won't have the ability to trip 

The motor has thermal overload protection, and it is the magnetic starter that protects the motor.

Relying on the breaker to protect your motor is wrong. If your motor is not protected from thermal over load I would strongly suggest that you take steps other than relying on the breaker.

Code calls out that the circuit should not be rated for more than 2.5 the Full Load Amperage. The badge plate on my motor, not the compressor, states 16.6 FLA. Applying the rule of using a circuit rated for 1.25X the FLA rating of the device, I come up with 20.75 Amps which tells me to put it on a 30 amp circuit.

I DO NOT leave my compressor plugged in, and I am always in direct proximity to it when filling my tanks. I believe that I am OK.

Or maybe I will die a fiery death.......

We are on the same page heavyw8, all is good!

I actually just now went out and looked at the badge plate on the motor again, and it may be rated at 15.6 instead of 16.6. It is mounted upside down and in a space about three inches wide, so hard to discern exactly what the number is.....

With that said rated at 15.6 FLA and applying the 1.25X rule, that gives 19.5A, and applying the maximum rating of 2.5X FLA gives 39A.

20 to 30 Amp breakers should be OK, if one has an existing 30A outlet.

No worries same not trying to be argumentive either...I'm far from an electrician and thoes number is like trying to read hieroglyphics to me im just good with my hands and know how to follow directions i drove up to Clifton NJ to p/u my compressor personally and Alen instructed me on the way to hook everything up and all the parts I needed then when I installed i FaceTime a family member of mine thats an electrician that instructed me step by step on how to hook everything up I didn't have enough room in my panel for 2 breakers so I combined 2 - 15 amp breakers with a new single breaker with 2 poles that freed up an extra slot for the additional breaker I needed for the 2 pole breaker 

A 20amps or greater circuit should work. The house panel breaker is meant to protect the house wiring from an overload.

If you've only got a 30amp or 50amp outlet, but you want to plug into a 20amp outlet, you could also use an adapter. They are available with a 20amp breaker built in if you believe that it's purpose is to protect your compressor motor from burning:

https://www.amazon.com/AC-WORKS-3-Prong-Connector-Flexible/dp/B083ZMJKSL/ref=asc_df_B083ZMJKSL

https://www.amazon.com/AC-WORKS-Generator-250Volt-Flexible/dp/B083YYCBRH/ref=asc_df_B083YYCBRH