Benjamin Akela Stripped Hex Head on Bolt holding the Stock to the Body

I inherited an Akela 177 back from my son that said he will never use it. I went to take the stock off the gun with a 5mm hex key and low and behold, the top of the hex bolt seems to be stripped. I can't get a 5mm hex key to grab at all to take the bolt out. I have googled on "howto" take a bolt out in this condition, but was not enamored with the results. Can I get a shout out from the machinists/engineers on the forum to give me some suggestions? I want to put in the Airgun Revisions Tuning kit which consists of the smaller spring to get the shots down to a consistent level over the 3.5" spring that the Akelas are shipped with. I have hand tremors so some of the more "delicate" options aren't good for me!

Have had the best luck with this style of screw extractors in my 26 years of wrench turning.
1705197672619.png

Thank you all for the info!

@Scotay42 - so use a roughly 6mm torx and "gently" pound it in to turn it out?

@RickH - It looks like the length of the EZ out may be enough to get down into the handle cavity. I guess I'll try and find one and measure them first.

@IndyDurtdigger - I don't think your suggestion will work because the screw is down in the handle and none of those would fit. But I like the set!

Thank you all for the info!

@Scotay42 - so use a roughly 6mm torx and "gently" pound it in to turn it out?

@RickH - It looks like the length of the EZ out may be enough to get down into the handle cavity. I guess I'll try and find one and measure them first.

@IndyDurtdigger - I don't think your suggestion will work because the screw is down in the handle and none of those would fit. But I like the set!
There are ones with that style of end that are made to get into recessed areas. Those do pretty good on rounded out hex cap screws like what you are dealing with and set screws as well. While I cringe at using a torx bit like that the jar from driving it in may also help to get the thing loose so worth a shot if it's readily handy.

Reactions: Pfddi
There are ones with that style of end that are made to get into recessed areas. Those do pretty good on rounded out hex cap screws like what you are dealing with and set screws as well. While I cringe at using a torx bit like that the jar from driving it in may also help to get the thing loose so worth a shot if it's readily handy.
Quality torx bit will always be harder than any screw. Ive broken more ezouts than removed anything with them.lol

I ordered a Knipex Rennstieg screw extractor size 1 as I did not have a torx or star screwdriver and I have to go down a bit over 3" and the tool is 4" so it should be long enough. I'll let everyone know how it goes when the tool arrives - sb Wednesday. Since the top still has an opening, just not taking a hex key anymore, I'll probably try seating it with a hammer and then trying to turn it out. I'll post some pictures. Now if I can figure out where to get a replacement bolt I'll be good! Emailed Benjamin already and just crickets!

Thanks for all the help.

Reactions: EPG
I ordered a Knipex Rennstieg screw extractor size 1 as I did not have a torx or star screwdriver and I have to go down a bit over 3" and the tool is 4" so it should be long enough. I'll let everyone know how it goes when the tool arrives - sb Wednesday. Since the top still has an opening, just not taking a hex key anymore, I'll probably try seating it with a hammer and then trying to turn it out. I'll post some pictures. Now if I can figure out where to get a replacement bolt I'll be good! Emailed Benjamin already and just crickets!

Thanks for all the help.
The socket head cap screw size is M6x1 45mm long. Your best bet is finding it online or McMaster Carr. I know McMaster Carr has them.
I’m pretty sure you asked me this question in an email but I was crazy busy all day sorry about that.

Reactions: Pfddi