• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Akela modifications

I have adjusted the trigger but was wondering if a strip pack is worth trying.

What's a strip pack? You can polish all contact points, adjust the sear engagement and the connector rod lock nut to get a nice first and second stage feel. I lightened my hammer by boring it deeper and also removed almost ¼" from the rear retaining block reducing preload, lowering cocking effort and also enlarged the transfer port from ⁵/³² to ³/¹⁶"

What's a strip pack? You can polish all contact points, adjust the sear engagement and the connector rod lock nut to get a nice first and second stage feel. I lightened my hammer by boring it deeper and also removed almost ¼" from the rear retaining block reducing preload, lowering cocking effort and also enlarged the transfer port from ⁵/³² to ³/¹⁶"

Would I get the same results by shortening the hammer spring as removing material from the retainer block?

Would I get the same results by shortening the hammer spring as removing material from the retainer block?

Very similar I'm sure. A lighter hammer just helps with dwell and hammer bounce. 

Very similar I'm sure. A lighter hammer just helps with dwell and hammer bounce.

Thank you Troy. I appreciate the response. What size bit did you use to bore your hammer? Thanks again!!

Thank you Troy. I appreciate the response. What size bit did you use to bore your hammer? Thanks again!!

The hammer is case hardened. You'll need an endmill and lathe access most likely. I ruined several bits trying to drill before I switched to an end mill.

The hammer is case hardened. You'll need an endmill and lathe access most likely. I ruined several bits trying to drill before I switched to an end mill.

Thanks. Good to know. I think I'll start by shortening my spring just a little and see what happens.

Are the guns that terrible straight out of the box to be forced to void their 5 year warranty like that?

I would personally send it back for an exchange for a new one since it sounds like a factory defect. Don't want to screw around and void the 5 year warranty.

If it's true that the Akela is that terrible straight out of the box I am not going to buy one and just wait for an improved gen2 once they get the obvious bugs sorted out.

Are the guns that terrible straight out of the box to be forced to void their 5 year warranty like that?

I would personally send it back for an exchange for a new one since it sounds like a factory defect. Don't want to screw around and void the 5 year warranty.

If it's true that the Akela is that terrible straight out of the box I am not going to buy one and just wait for an improved gen2 once they get the obvious bugs sorted out.

Not everyone is like you. Some want to mod their guns to improve them as they see fit, they accept the risk of their warranty and if they need to replace things down the road they simply do it.

Some people have 2 guns for every hour of the day, some have one or two and try and get the very best out of them with mods. Just because they're doing things differently than you doesn't mean its wrong.

What airgun(s) do you own that no one modifies or makes upgrades to?

It is erroneous to conclude that terribleness or bugs are the reasons these folks, like multitudes of other airgunners who own different makes and models, modify their airguns. Sometimes that is true, but most of the time people just want to improve upon or change some aspect of the gun. The gun does not have to be terrible or have a bug for someone to he motivated to change it.

Question is specifically pertaining to the knowingly deliberate voiding of a 5 year warranty vs sending it back for a replacement if it's that bad. That simple explanation enough?

I'm not into tinkering with guns while still under warranty thats all. I tinker after the warranty is expired only if it needs vast improvements and is totally unacceptable and only if the factory don't know crap how to engineer a proper gun.

For me, my Akela has had issues from the get go. I've never had consistent shot strings compared to the other owners I know.

I've had 2 leaks. Still have one.

I've called Crosman twice about getting a repair or replacement with no luck. They did walk me through repairing the first leak which I fixed myself.

Another leak started yesterday from the receiver when I pull the trigger. Today I'm going to call again and request an exchange. If I get denied again I will just arrange to send it to some one like Troy Hammer to have it repaired and tuned and just get on with it. I like the rifle a lot but I feel like it should be replaced or repaired under warranty but I don't get the warm and fuzzys from Crosman support.

Just my 2 cents on why I'm considering modding my Akela. But at this point I'm not doing anything to it as I want a replacement that is 100% working like everyone else received.

Bryan,

We have been talking over a week about your first leak problem which was a small 200psi leak that would hold afterwards. Issue was resolved after doing the tips that was provided to you. i also suggested that you have it sent in for repair. You first talked with Angel and she issued you a call tag for return. i can see the entry that was submitted and time stamped Sept 8th. im only responding in the forum because you specifically posted about the calling us but say you have no luck with repair or replacement. 

i do see another entry for today and you were issued a second call tag for return. i cant see how you would think anything less of the customer support you have received. i just want that to be known and not what your post portrays.

Phillip Guadalupe

Hi Phillip,

You've been great at helping me out. Thank you very much! Though the first label I did not receive. I called again last week to see if I could send it in and the gentle man I talked with didn't want me to send it in. He gave me tips to fix which I did and was successful. Today I talked with Chuck and he did send me a label which I did receive this morning. I guess I'm just not feeling like I recieved a 100% rifle. I've had to fix things myself which isn't necessarily a bad thing but the rifle has not been with me for even 3 weeks yet. A big reason I purchased one of the new Benjamins is the 5 year warranty. This is my 3 rd Benji and I own several Crosmans which none of them has ever had an issue. I was hoping this would be the same. Once again I do appreciate all of your help and hopefully my Akela will be with me for years to come.

Thanks,

Bryan