• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Akela magazine 177 cal issue

I get .5 MOA out to 90yds with cheap crossman. No need for any others. Lol. You can take the .ag apart, sand and polish at friction places. Clean out the groove for the pin and lower tension more. Worked on others that would not feed well.
1/2 MOA with Crosman .177 pellets at 90yds? Would love to see this while it's happening......

Anytime in Ky bud, i shoot off my porch rail for long shots. I typically just shoot varmints, but i like to know my capabilities. I can probably tighten it up a hair with a better scope, a benchrest and weighting/sorting and such but why bother. All in the tune is what they say, but i just play with the power til it shoots,then leave it. Lol, this akela has been a joy, i turned the power wheel to the middle and it stacks any crossman pellet that i have tried out to 40yds. I have only tried the cphps out to 91yds. They do the same in .22 for my throne. If i was techy enough i would love to post if for ya, but i do not have a way of recording shots yet

Reactions: orangeokie
I get .5 MOA out to 90yds with cheap crossman. No need for any others. Lol. You can take the .ag apart, sand and polish at friction places. Clean out the groove for the pin and lower tension more. Worked on others that would not feed well.
I did play with the mag again and did make some progress, comparing it crosman mag it has less contact area which tends to bite the pellet, yikes, thinking i should work with the barrel to shoot harder pellets more accurately.

Been all in, on doing farm repairs and such, so i have not bought a chronograph yet. I wish i could give you numbers that at least worked for mine. I figure expansion doesnt matter as much as the internal hydroshock that happens in the energy dump. Dome pop still equals dome pop, but slugs are better for power retention at long range. Male sure to check for any barrel debris and the crown is a clean bevel. About the only 2 problems i have heard on the akela accuracy.

Been all in, on doing farm repairs and such, so i have not bought a chronograph yet. I wish i could give you numbers that at least worked for mine. I figure expansion doesnt matter as much as the internal hydroshock that happens in the energy dump. Dome pop still equals dome pop, but slugs are better for power retention at long range. Male sure to check for any barrel debris and the crown is a clean bevel. About the only 2 problems i have heard on the akela accuracy.
I upgraded my shooting table, more stable now, and now going to use bags only instead of plastic shooting rest, real testing now begins, after barrel inspection and clean.

Reactions: Scotay42
Just realized why my new Akela shoots cheap hard pellets more accurately than soft expensive, the magazine deforms the skirts , they get pinched from rotation , i lightened spring tension in mag but didn't help much. Does anybody know of any cures for this issue other than single feed.

20220919_164428.jpg

Not a lot you can do with a spring loaded self-indexing mag. I really don't think that bent skirt will matter much. The instant the air from the shot hits it, it is pressed against the barrel anyway.
Please don't think that you are going to get 1/2 MOA accuracy at 90 yds with Crosman's though, heck you won't get it with any .177 pellets.

Reactions: Scotay42
Dug a little deeper into my new akela today, my shooting table wasn't causing any trouble nor my plastic rest, i took the barrel off and pushed a slug thru to see what it looks like. The choke was extremely tight , the slug measured .177 and after .173 seems a little much. Also barrel o-rings chopped up, and crown looks off center, take a look, i thought 300$ was a grat deal maybe not.
20220921_183103.jpg
20220921_182711.jpg

Dug a little deeper into my new akela today, my shooting table wasn't causing any trouble nor my plastic rest, i took the barrel off and pushed a slug thru to see what it looks like. The choke was extremely tight , the slug measured .177 and after .173 seems a little much. Also barrel o-rings chopped up, and crown looks off center, take a look, i thought 300$ was a grat deal maybe not.View attachment 291591View attachment 291593

Just realized why my new Akela shoots cheap hard pellets more accurately than soft expensive, the magazine deforms the skirts , they get pinched from rotation , i lightened spring tension in mag but didn't help much. Does anybody know of any cures for this issue other than single feed.
I have noticed the same thing with a tin of Hawk Thunder 13.43 grain straight wall dome. The thinner skirt gets bent in the mag. A similar straight wall pointed pellet is the GAMO Hammer 15.42 grain which has a substantially thicker skirt and does not suffer deformation.

Last edited: